• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member from BC- 2760041- Polaris tii

ranjag

Hi folks , I want to introduce myself as the latest member of this fantastic club and site. I have been reading and learning a great deal again (I say again because I started doing the research to restore my 72 tii back in the good ol days of the intraweb ! Yes I sat on this car for almost 20 years having stripped it down and doing the difficult stuff like sorting the rusty body shell out first. Well I'm back at her now in full strength and am hoping to have her on the road May of next year) .

I am currently re-installing the front suspension having stripped and repaint everything , wiring is done and rear suspension is also done . I decided to leave everything  stock for now as i wanted to get an idea of how the stock set up rides before getting things like lowering springs and new uprated shock absorbers etc..

I am really interested in upgrading the wheels to KOPI Alpina rims in 6.5 x 15 as per the group buy going on from Abraham Motorsports .

{http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=346497}

However I'm not too sure what offset to go with ET 25 or ET 35 , Any suggestions would be great .

I will post some pics soon as get this figured out .

Thanks

Randy 

Vancouver BC

Welcome to the FAQ.

I think ET25 is what you want, but I'm not certain. Check out the "Tires And Wheel/rims Fitment Guide" thread on this site. You can find it using the search feature. I'd post a link but I'm on my phone right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Welcome Randy.

Recently another Polaris 72tii has been resurrected in Vancouver.  This one is a COMPLETE ground up restoration with a Nardi wood steering wheel and tii alloys.  Absolute gorgeous car.  It just hit the road a month ago.

Try to attend the BMW meet this Sunday at Waterfront Park, North Vancouver, or the Vintage at Mission Raceways, 22-23 August.  Some great local and PNW race cars will be competing.

Cheers,  Paul

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Terrific! 2760041 is a MIGHTY early U.S. tii. It's the 41st U.S.-spec tii manufactured. Is that an October '71 car? Have you verified the build date with BMW Archives yet (email with your car's VIN to group.archiv@bmwgroup.com)?

Any possibility it came with a 3.45 differential, rather than a 3.64? Chrome seat hinges?

Get that baby back together!

(You'll probably need spacers with ET35 rims, and you might need to roll your rims with the ET25 rims -- something I wouldn't recommend with such an early, and very collectible tii!)

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Terrific! 2760041 is a MIGHTY early U.S. tii. Is that a September '71 car? Have you verified the build date with BMW Archives yet (email with your car's VIN to group.archive@bmwgroup.com)?

Any possibility it came with a 3.45 differential, rather than a 3.64? Chrome seat hinges?

Get that baby back together!

(You'll probably need spacers with ET35 rims, and you might need to roll your rims with the ET25 rims -- something I wouldn't recommend with such an early, and very collectible tii!)

Best regards,

Steve

Yes this is a 72 tii with chrome seat hinges and plastic intake runners , can't confirm the diff as its sitting in the back alley, was making a clunking sound when I took it out .  (has been there for 13 years ) . The car was originally charmonix but I decided to change the colour to Polaris when I got it.

Heres the latest pictures I took today , big moment getting her back on to the wheels and steering again.

I noticed its sitting really high , could be because of the fact there is no engine and transmission to weigh her down !

post-49211-0-12006100-1439528855_thumb.j

post-49211-0-35677500-1439528876_thumb.j

post-49211-0-58627300-1439528894_thumb.j

post-49211-0-20907700-1439528921_thumb.j

Welcome!  Definitely try to get out to the Vintages at the end of August, its a blast.   I have a feeling you're a VW guy as well?  Corrado steelies on your 02 and a Corrrado in the background...  

As for your question, its sitting high because it doesn't have the motor in it.  In my opinion, they sit high even with one!

Noticed from the pictures that your nose panel appears to have a snorkel...do you know if the nose was ever replaced or did it come that way?  There's been a lot of speculation about original tiis with snorkels--perhaps the factory ran out of tii noses the day your car was assembled and just used what they had.

Also, no notch in the top of the firewall as is common on tii's.  Wonder if it took the factory awhile to learn that was necessary, or was Fritz on the assembly line whose job it was to make the notch off having a beer when 0041 came down the line.

A very cool car, and one of the lower numbered tii's on the FAQ.

Keep us posted on your progress.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 8/15/2015 at 10:49 AM, mike said:

....Also, no notch in the top of the firewall as is common on tii's...

Mike,

The firewall notch first appeared (exactly OR approximately) contemporaneously with aluminum intake runners, so June of '72 (VIN 2761944), perhaps because the aluminum runners blocked the line of sight -- for engine timing purposes -- more than the plastic runners. That is a mostly speculative explanation, but certainly the best I've heard to date!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)