• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overheating, but don't know why

pompei426

So, I was driving today, and it was about 90 degrees out. Usually the summer temps don't give me any troubles. At most the thermostat needle will be around 3 o'clock. Well, today it started going way up. I also started hearing a faint screeching past 3 grand. I brought the car home and let it sit for 4 hours to let the motor cool down. Decided to take her out to see if the problem persisted. It did. Drove less than a mile, not even revving past 3 grand, and the temp reading was near the top. I check the belt and it's tight, ran the motor to try and hear the sound again, but I couldn't hear it. Maybe being under load made it louder? 

I'm not the most knowledgeable, but I'm assuming it's the water pump. What do you think? 

I'm new to the 2002 world (just picked up my first in June) but when I bought the car it ran HOT!  One large factor was the coolant was baby poop brown.  So after a coolant flush and clean the car ran I would say about 10-15% cooler.  By doing this I removed the crud (official term) in the waterpump and the gasket started to leak.  I replaced the waterpump and thermostat  (love how simple the e10 motor is) and now my 2002 runs below 50% on the gauge.  HUGE! improvement.  Not sure how this would factor into your issue because I never had a coolant issue just a hot running engine.  The factory 2002 radiator is flawed from my research and I plan on upgrading one day but I if you dont know the current life on your waterpump I would recommend replacing it.  Its cheap too and a simple job you can do yourself.  Also when you replace it your basically forced to flush your coolant system so might as well flush it all when you open everything up.  I also live in Los Angeles where Ive been driving it in 100 degree heat. 

Again I am new to 2002s but I had the same issue on my 88 Bronco.  Obviously very different cars but the spike of the temp and not being able to cool down.  From some research I found my heater core was clogged up.  When I did a flush on the system it must have built up in the heater core.  Flush it multiple times (cheap amazon kit) and the issue 100% went away.  Seems like something to investigate on your end.

Edited by mellena