• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No electrical power, battery okay

Artcop

Hi guys- my '73 '02 was running fine, starting first time every time, etc.. Then, while working on something non-electrical, I accidentally touched a ratchet to the starter motor for a microsecond. A few sparks, but nothing out of the ordinary, except now I have no power in the ignition key's 'fahrt' position. No clicks, no guages, nothing. Battery is still fully charged. Fuses okay. Did I fry the Pertronix? I've checked all the cables for tightness and they're also pretty clean. TIA for your thoughts.

Have you tried running a lead directly from the battery to the trigger wire on the starter solenoid?  If the starter then turns, the problem is either in the wiring between the starter and the ign switch, or in the switch itself.  If you get no starter action when you do the above, then you have a problem with the starter--probably the solenoid.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Finally got time to poke around last night, and I'm embarrassed to say it was a simple matter of cleaning and tightening the ground wires on and from the battery. Odd that it came out of nowhere with seemingly no warning, but that's how beamer go. Thanks all for  your feedback- I'm back on the road ;-)