• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Florida 1602

arminyack

I like how the seller uses the same cut/paste disclaimer which was used on recent Fiat sale (and current Volvo ad) on ebay.

I am not a dealer, just a man who loves "fill-in-the-blank" (among other cars) and hope to pass along my passion and fervor for these cars.

I couldn't stand it: I sent him a message the day he listed it, clarifying the color as Florida -- or so I thought, Florida White??? -- and providing the archives email address!

These gorgeous Florida 1600s are coming out of the woodwork!

Now that I see the manufacturing date, January 28, 1969, this car probably left the factory with side marker lamps/reflectors, an early mirror, and a clock where the "cross-hairs" (square taillight) tach sits now. I don't know about the smooth center horn button; we often refer to them as the "1968 style," but I haven't a clear vision of when they disappeared from production (and January '69 is pretty close to '68).

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

This looks like the exact same car that didn't meet reserve at the recent Los Angeles auction. 

And like Conserve pointed out then, it must have had paint and bodywork. Notice the build date and the lack of US side markers. They were deleted, or both front fenders and both rear quarter panels were replaced. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I like this color combination and this car looks very good, almost too good.  I don't think it is on the same level as that 1967 BMW 1600 "Florida" survivor that sold on eBay earlier this month for $27K.  Maybe its the contrast between the new paint and the original wheels, hub caps and beauty rings that is throwing off the look for me.  I would feel better if some of the details were better executed by someone that knows these cars and knows what is correct for this model and year (side markers, flag mirrors, collapsed brake vacuum hose at the booster, etc.).  But at no reserve, we'll see what the market ultimately thinks.

IMHO,

Mark92131

$27K Sale of 1967 BMW 1600

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261983688676?forcerRptr=true&item=261983688676&viewitem=&rmvSB=true

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Ahhh, Ryan,

I KNEW I looked at this car before and I already had the VIN in my "VIN-date cheat sheet"! I'm entirely with Mark on this. The re-paint left details such as the hood hold-down bar and its fasteners painted when they should be simply plated. The flow-through ventilation tubes in the trunk, similarly, were painted but should be un-painted plastic. Nonetheless, a great-looking car!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

This is the first Florida 02 I have seen with saddle interior. The other two both had the tobacco colored seats.

Do you suppose that's because it's a late-ish Florida, or has it been swapped out? The perforated vinyl on the driver's seat cushion has been replaced, with an in-exact match, but that says nothing about the originality of the seats and door cards.

Regards,

Steve

Seats on this car are from a 2002; 1600s didn't have fully reclining seats, only three backrest positions.  Also, 1600s didn't have day/night inside mirrors.  

As for the smooth center coveron the steering wheel:  the factory was notorious for using up parts so that's a possibility.  However, my early Feb '69 production 2002 has the grooved center cover, and I don't recall even any "first series" '69s (mfg between 1 Dept and 31 Dec '68) with a smooth center steering wheel.  

But still a pretty car...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite