• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB BHS type 27 6 x 13 wheels

Magoo02

• 6 years later...

Aloha, Thomas. I hope you're still monitoring your FAQ traffic. I'm Robert P. Smith out in Hawaii. I noticed a post from you above, but it's seven years old!

I have a set of 15" X 6" BHS 20-spoke Alpina-like wheels, pictured below. They came on a 1967 2000CS I just bought. I'd love to know more about these wheels, if you have more information than what you've posted above regarding CONOS Handelsgesellschaft, manufactured in Italy, "initially by R&G and eventually O.Z." I'm new to these Alpina re-pops, and would love to know a bit more history as to why Alpina stopped producing the wheel, and why BHS picked up the product. Were the Alpina 20 spoke wheels also made in Italy, or did CONOS acquire the manufacturing equipment?

If you have a guess, let me know what my four BHS wheels are worth. I'm thinking of going back to OEM wheels for this car, with hup caps and beauty rings. Mahalo for your help! Robert

thumbnail-92.jpg

IMG_0372(1) 2.JPG

IMG_1986 (1).heic IMG_1988.heic IMG_1989.heic IMG_1990.heic IMG_1987.heic

Thomas,

Your wheels are likely an E21 320i/323i offset of ET 12 which will be found in the center section of the wheel in between the lug holes.

As I mentioned in one of the earlier posts on this thread, these wheels were found with different brand names: OZ, MSW, BHS, and Itala.

They were only really made in offsets designed for E21 fitment in the four lug application.  (There were 5 lug fitments in 14" and 15" diameters for the six cylinder cars).

Alpina had their wheels made by Ronal in Germany.  To the casual observer the Alpina/Ronal wheels look the same but they are not identical.  Alpina wheels are flat in the lug center and use a raised centercap whereas the copies have a "volcano" in the center and use a flat cap.  The center section diameter on the Alpina wheels is smaller as the outside circle where the spokes meet the center is basically tangent to the lug holes whereas the copy wheels have a larger center section diameter and thus shorter spokes.  Alpina wheels also use metal valve stems whereas the copy wheels used rubber valve stems and the area where the valve stem is placed is not flat.  

It is interesting that the five lug 14" and 15" wheels were flat in the center like the Alpina wheels but the 13" and 15' four lug wheels were not.  The four lug wheels in your fitment size have been made in a limited run by Ireland Engineering in Duarte, CA.  They are sold for slightly over $1K per set.  

Ronal also made the 15" four lug wheels under their own name with NO Alpina markings on them for some time until Alpina put a stop to the manufacture as Ronal sold the wheels under their own name for much less than the ones wearing the Alpina logo cast into the center. 

You can look on Ebay to find what a set of wheels like yours will sell for.  It depends on condition and desperation of the buyer.