• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help with opinions on this 02

e30edm

Well, the exterior has been re-painted at least once. It's Fjord metallic, or some interpretation of Fjord metallic, and original BMW metallic exterior paint from '74, today, looks like....well, it looks much like the trunk paint here! (If you look at the interior photo showing the open driver's door, you can also see that the re-paint painted right over the overhead light switch and the black plastic, door-mounted "actuator" for that switch.) And, speaking of the trunk, what's going on with the rear wheel housings, as viewed from the trunk? Is that surface rust, or are they toast?

Assume the "99K miles" is meaningless: this car looks like it's had a long hard life -- at least 199K, assuming the odometer: (a.) is original and (b.) has been consistently working since day one. (The condition of the trunk speaks of this long hard life.)

The photos are terrible, certainly not the basis for any purchase judgement. Get a PPI by someone who knows '02s. Find out where the car has spent its 41 years.

I've certainly seen worse, but -- given the awful photos -- I can't honestly say I've seen much of this car. Don't pay extra for the "tii gauges". There's no such thing; the seller is confused with the factory turbo's gauges, which these are not! And the engine should look MUCH MUCH better than the trunk of the car if the "0 miles since rebuild" is to be believed.

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

"Nice euro stance." [emoji23]

I agree with what's already been said. I'm confused why there was no pictures of the rebuilt motor. That would be an important selling point to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

The best part of the car is the steering wheel...the rest, not so much especially when it lacks both receipts for the alleged engine overhaul, and pictures of same.  And the rust bubbling up in many locations points to a quickie paint job over improperly repaired rust spots.  Definitely not a 5700 dollar car...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Like they said...crusty. $3K if the engine is truly a proper rebuild with paperwork...a sunroof car with rust up there is worrysome like Wegwsr' said, and trunk like Steve said...Car probably lived in the rust belt before NorCal...Its worth paying for a car that was obviously loved. This one looks a little ridden hard and put up wet...

Hmmmm I wouldn't beat this Fjord up to much. 

Looks like a good car no thanks to the photos...

The rust bubbles don't seem to bother me....BUT that's me.......I think it's diamond in the rough....Also you'll notice in these poor photos that he  has another BMW 2002 parked behind this BMW 2002.....

Shucks we might be pleasantly surprised....

I just sent him an e-mail....I'm in Oakland everyday if he writes back I'll check it out....

Hmm. Needs a close look with a strong flashlight I think. . The seats, as far as I can deduce from the awful photos look like OEM option Scheels. Quite rare, especially in U.S. And comfortable!

Cheers,

Edited by ray_

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.