• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help with opinions on this 02

e30edm

Well,

The guy is pretty responsive....I'm supposed to meet him tomorrow at noon. I'll call him back after 9am, guess when i called at 0730hrs.  it was a bit early..

I plan on seeing it.  I'll take some more photos.  And ask him about the car but so far so good......

ira

Well,

The guy is pretty responsive....I'm supposed to meet him tomorrow at noon. I'll call him back after 9am, guess when i called at 0730hrs. it was a bit early..

I plan on seeing it. I'll take some more photos. And ask him about the car but so far so good......

ira

Ira,

Sorry if it sounds like I was beating it up, but, as I said above:

"I've certainly seen worse, but -- given the awful photos -- I can't honestly say I've seen much of this car. Don't pay extra for the "tii gauges". There's no such thing; the seller is confused with the factory turbo's gauges, which these are not! And the engine should look MUCH MUCH better than the trunk of the car if the "0 miles since rebuild" is to be believed."

I do look carefully at engine and luggage compartments -- and the engine compartment was not shown in this instance -- as I think they are more likely to display a car's care and treatment over its life than the exterior, which gets a coat of shiny paint every so often.

If Ray's correct about the seats -- and I hope he is, as they are rare as hen's teeth -- a good pair of rebuildable factory-option Scheels is probably worth $1,500-$2,500. But they've got to be the factory-option seats, not simply late '70s aftermarket Scheels! (By "factory-option," I'm not suggesting they were originally installed on this car, as I've still never seen orginally-installed factory-option Scheels or Recaros on a U.S.-spec car.)

We'll be waiting for news, and photos, of course!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Ira,

If Ray's correct about the seats -- and I hope he is, as they are rare as hen's teeth -- a good pair of rebuildable factory-option Scheels is probably worth $1,500-$2,500. But they've got to be the factory-option seats, not simply late '70s aftermarket Scheels! (By "factory-option," I'm not suggesting they were originally installed on this car, as I've still never seen orginally-installed factory-option Scheels or Recaros on a U.S.-spec car.)

We'll be waiting for news, and photos, of course!

Regards,

Steve

IMG_6096.jpg

For comparison ;-) Below is from the ad:

00U0U_iCl9B786H0e_600x450.jpg

The headrest shape is fairly unique on these seats. Joel (and others) should comment further.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

No no no Steve

Your point of view is incredibly valuable..."Beat up on" is not a literal phrase.....Anyway, I love you, man...

Hey I just talked to the guy.  He's a car guy.  This is a project car in that it has been sitting for awhile.  He bought it through an estate sale.  He's a car guy from way back.  He says the car has waaaay more into it than he mentioned in his narrative and yep Steve those seats are super expensive and that seems be the theme of this car, is it has some super parts to it that have gone unmentioned.......Like the diff and tranny along with the dual webers.....

The motor is not in the car, but it is re-built, the suspension is re-done by P.O..  The car has a high end stereo installed.......

The paint he's not sure about the paint, he believes it's original BUT we both said at the same time especially after meeting him verbally "who cares"

Why is this "gem" for sale? He has a bunch of projects, numerous cars, and he needs to move out of this warehouse...

Anyway, the dude sounds as legit as they get....Dude is "wrench".............Not a craigslist flake...In my opinion..Forgive my quick notes I'm moving stuff to storage

Stay tuned

ira

So now I understand the lack of an engine compartment photo. But unless he's going to deliver the car running and driving, it's more "project" than I would have guessed from the CL ad. You've got to be getting a lot of darned good stuff with a '74 '02 -- not, intrinsically, the most valuable of '02s -- to justify paying $5,750 for an in-op example. No?

Regards,

Steve

Which out of the two I posted do u suppose to be a better buy. I'm willing to work on the one without motor in. Only if everything checks out. I'm not sure if it's really rebuilt and/or rust is cancerous and spread underneath the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And again thanks for everyone's help kindly appreciated as I hope to embark on a 2002 in the near future

1975 and before is pre smog in ca right? So it wouldn't need smog if I'm not mistaken

Yes, only '76 models get caught in California!

Steve

Oooooo

So, I went and saw the car tonight.  The guy Jeff is super cool.  He has the car in a warehouse with several other cars..

The car a 1974 Fjord, damn I did not get the VIN...

But the car is complete.

The 5sp tranny is installed.

The stereo is installed along front and back speakers, the front speakers are in the door. 

Suspension super stiff, I did not get under the car to see what it's suspended by but I sat down on and pushed all four corners I like it ....

No rust on the towers, rockers, spare tire wheel weld.

There's rust on the front edge of the functioning fully operational sun roof... Roof liner is in grrrreat condition...The paint it maybe re-done not certain but it looks good minus flaking roof paint and primer on the front quarters of the driver and passenger side fenders...

Tires have alot of meat left on them.  Rims look great....

There's surface rust on front underside of the hood along with the portion of the hood where the sound dampeners go...

The engine is new .  It has been rebuilt.  The head and the block have been re-built, extremely clean.  I looked through the exhaust ports and saw the valves they look brand spanking new.  The story is that the PO had another motor in the vehicle while this one was being re-built.  The current owner then removed the previous motor and put it into another 2002, however he did not re-install the current re-built motor....Make sense to me....

The car is on non op, pink slip is in hand..

Photos I took alot of photos however I donot know how to load them.....I am going to text them to e30edm maybe he can load them..

Oh the seats are Scheel they both have the Scheel plaque on them .  They should be refurbished at some point...

ira

my number is 510 258 5514

I can text photos to any interested party....