• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ireland Engineering Fiberglass Body Panels

rgiles675

Has anyone used purchased the Aplina Style Fiberglass kit? What is involved to get the rear panels on? I assume cutting the old ones? Also has anyone installed a fiberglass hood or trunk? How are hood pins installed on these cars?

Thanks,

Ryan

I have rear IE Alpina flares. You've got to cut the wheel wells and weld them back together to accommodate the wider wheels to fill them.

To attach the actual flares there are a few options. I just used nutserts for mine. But then again I'm going for an early race look. Most people rivet/bond and blend them in.

I also have a Korman FG hood. I drilled holes for the post/pin on the nose panel and then used hood hold downs for the sides.

Bristol car is mine.

ae3ea59d9d2aeadd5e0afd57d974cd18.jpg

Blended flare

eafb3ff38a641b5612ae80f641f24c3b.jpg

Green car was one of my inspirations.

e27ba7bad90639838ca7a910937df131.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

You mean like this ? I used Pop Rivets and a 3M auto bonding agent to attach the rears. Obviously some cutting on the wheel well to remove and modify the inner fender. No experience with plastic hood or deck personally although I have seen some race quality stuff that was pretty flimsy.

post-9324-0-67140500-1440551387_thumb.jp

73 2002 Tii Sold

71 2002 Ti Vintage racecar

84 BMW 325 E-Prod racecar Sold

You mean like this ? I used Pop Rivets and a 3M auto bonding agent to attach the rears. Obviously some cutting on the wheel well to remove and modify the inner fender. No experience with plastic hood or deck personally although I have seen some race quality stuff that was pretty flimsy.

This is exactly what I want! Beautiful!! So really all you gotta do for the rear is cut the wheel wells larger then pretty much glue it to the old rear panels?

This is exactly what I want! Beautiful!! So really all you gotta do for the rear is cut the wheel wells larger then pretty much glue it to the old rear panels?

Final step after bonding is to blend it in to the body panel, and paint.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Cutting the rear wheel wells takes a bit of work if you want a clean job. Since it is a double wall, the inner and out panel need to be bonded back together. If it's a square tail there is a third layer of metal bonded between the two that you also cut through. I just did a set of turbo flares on my '74 and carefully welded the panels back together. I cut a slightly larger radius on the outer panels vs the inner panel, leaving a small lip to make it easier to weld. Brazing would also work.

When I do the wide-body kit (4" flares) on my track car I will likely tub the rear wheel wells all the way out to the flare and cut out much of the quarter panel (cage provides the structural integrity).

Best, Fred  (Vote Ray and Toby 2016!)

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)