• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Derelict 2002 to Autocrosser

BigIrish

Thanks for the compliments!

remout - wheel is 350mm (13.8").  It makes the steering harder but also frees up alot of gut & knee room.

Stevenc22 - yeah I could use a recommendation on the A/C.  It's a Behr aftermarket unit but appears to have been converted to R134, based on the fittings

Well the dash has cracks and the door cards are really grubby.  Fuzzy pictures do wonders for appearances!

The wheel on our 02 race car is 13" and is great on track.  However i've played with it pulling in and out of parking spots in the paddock and it would get old quick on a car that sees some street duty as my track rat will.

I'm trying to figure out that magic compromise diameter. Of course another thing that comes into play is on the race car we're running 205 DOT Rs at racing pressures that are lower than street duty would see. Geeez stuff gets complicated :)

Tried some arts & crafts tonight.  I ordered some magnetic racing numbers and then realized I could use the same principle to make my own sponsor decals.

I bought a random grab bag of sponsor decals off ebay and some magnetic sheets from Office Max.  Put the stickers on the sheets and cut out the shape.

This way I can throw on some sponsor decals when I want and can take them off or change them.

post-49277-0-12838600-1442028147_thumb.j

post-49277-0-02153500-1442028149_thumb.j

post-49277-0-56123300-1442028149_thumb.j

Weeell, that didn't exactly work. The magnets crinkled up a bit overnight. Good enough for the fridge, but thats it.  Fail #2 when it comes to my race look ideas.

On the plus side, managed to replace the clutch master.  Have any of you guys done this??  Holy S*** that is one of the most difficult parts I've ever had to change on any car.  It is almost impossible to get a wrench on the top nut.  

I got my new electronic dizzy installed and now it pulls strong to 6k rpms.  With that done, I don't have any other major mechanical things to fix, so the car is now fully "recommissioned" in my book.  

I also found an inexpensive carpet set so decided to spring for it.  Everything else inside will be black including door panels & seats.  Bye bye nasty carpet!

post-49277-0-19801900-1442504125_thumb.j

post-49277-0-83113700-1442504125_thumb.j

post-49277-0-42185600-1442504126_thumb.j

Yes I was able to slide it under the evaporator without removing it.  I had to remove the jute backing on that section to make the carpet thin enough and it was not easy.  

I got it from www.stockinteriors.com   They have alot of options on materials & style.  I chose the 80/20 loop and the multipiece sewn set.  I think the 1 piece molded set would be a huge pain.  I can't imagine trying to line up all the holes for the stick, e-brake, pedals, etc at the same time.  I did that style once before on an american car, but it was a column shift auto with pedals and e-brake hung from under the dash.

It was $250 with shipping and I am impressed with how nice it is.  

I went with the Ireland electronic Tii style.  Probably the only easy part I've installed on this car!

It also gave me a good excuse to buy a proper digital adjustable timing light, since you have to time total advance at 3400 rpm using the TDC mark.  

Tried some arts & crafts tonight.  I ordered some magnetic racing numbers and then realized I could use the same principle to make my own sponsor decals.

I bought a random grab bag of sponsor decals off ebay and some magnetic sheets from Office Max.  Put the stickers on the sheets and cut out the shape.

This way I can throw on some sponsor decals when I want and can take them off or change them.

Magnetic numbers work well at low speed events like auto-x, they fly off the car at real track speeds. Watched a set do this last weekend...

2xM3