• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Derelict 2002 to Autocrosser

BigIrish

I think the master is shot as it looks very old.  The slave looks much newer.  I still don't understand where the fluid is going if it's getting by the seals.   Is there an internal passage to recirc fluid that gets by the seal?

Vac plate is totally frozen - I put a Mity Vac on it and also tried moving it with pliers/screwdriver.  I could rebuild it of course, but it's a good excuse to upgrade it to electronic.  I did look into the 123 tune, but I really don't want to mess with laptop tuning.  I'm going to try Ireland's Tii style electronic distributor.  Supposedly already comes with the most aggressive profile recommended for a stock engine.  

The Ireland distributor comes with the right advance curve for a tii, which is not necessarily the right curve for your engine. Compared to a busted stock distributor it will feel great but it is not necessarily a performance enhancement over your stock distributor, with vac advance in good condition. Not hating on it, just pointing out a fact.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

The fluid is probably leaking back into the line to the reservoir.

Does the IE Tii distributor have a vacuum advance? The Tii engine does not need it but a carb engine really drives better with it. My vacuum advance did not work on my old distributor and I found with the new one, I need much less throttle at lower rpms where the mechanical advance has not kicked in yet. 

It does not.  We are getting into the vac advance vs. mechanical debate.  I understand there are some benefits of vac advance, especially while tooling around at light throttle & low rpms.  That's not the kind of driving I'm going to be doing much of however.

As I see it, the biggest advantage of vac advance is at idle, where the vac port is closed and ignition is retarded.  That improves idle quality and can make it easier to start.  But once you crack the throttle and expose that port, vac advance is all in.  The rest of the profile through the rev range is left to the mechanical advance, which is more limited than on a pure mechanical advance distributor and generally less tunable.

We shall see!!

I'll replace the clutch master - I agree that's likely the issue.

I've run both, and I am huge fan of the 123 and not so much the other dizzy you mentioned.  If you have, or are going to build, a modified engine, the 123Ignition is a very good solution.  The one-size-fits-all Tii dizzy may not "fit" your engine as well as what can be done with the 123.  If you plan on adding sidedrafts, you will def want the vacuum advance... my engine responded very well to it.

As for the clutch hydraulics... bleed the clutch slave, first.  You might just have some air in the line....or the fluid is really old.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

All good points, and I agree a fully tuneable state of the art electronic dizzy like the 123 is superior to any old school version.  But it's all about compromise - how much time & money do you want to spend vs. your expected performance gains.

For me, I have so much work to do on this car, if I can get 85% there with a drop-in solution, I'll be happy.....for now  B)   I'm not opposed to changing things later.  That's the fun stuff actually.

One situation where a stock vac advance distributor is not ideal is full-throttle starts - basically autocross.  When you mash the throttle at low RPMs, you open the throttle plates wide and lose your manifold vacuum and with it your vacuum advance....precisely when you need it most.  Vac advance works great at low RPMs and slight throttle openings where manifold vacuum is high (i.e. putting around).

Interior smells like a leper's foot, so...goodbye.  I can't tell if this stuff is original, but it's surely been there too long.  This car also has an old Behr AC unit which still works - as in everything including the compressor comes on, but of course its not cold.  This will also be resurrected.  

I'm just bummed the surely formidable speakerage is no longer in the car.  The installation was obviously first rate.

post-49277-0-42499600-1441424220_thumb.j

post-49277-0-01107700-1441424221_thumb.j

post-49277-0-38175300-1441424221_thumb.j

post-49277-0-72924700-1441424221_thumb.j

post-49277-0-21692000-1441424222_thumb.j

Thought I'd share my huge failure this weekend.  I ordered some "sky blue" racing stripes from Amazon, which on the computer and as described were a pale blue, like a 60's sky blue.  I applied a couple of strips and then pulled off the transfer tape (which is translucent and hides the real color) and....the horror!!  It's like some kind of electric painters tape blue.  So I wasted $70 and probably 4 hours of application and scrubbing with naptha to get the adhesive off.  

post-49277-0-09107100-1441720363.jpg

uggghhhh.. you'd think they'd supply a piece of the material as a sample.  Have you taken it out in the sun?  Might look different

YOU are a motivated son of a gun!!!  That car is really getting some attention!

BTW...what's the eBay link for those stripes?

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Yeah I thought "surely it will look better in the sun".  It actually looks worse - it burns your retinas!  Here's the link.  I should have gone with a safe color like black, gold, etc.  Blues are just so hard to get "right".  I should have ordered 1 piece of several different shades and then gone back and ordered a batch.  Lesson learned.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXI38EC/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1441727082&sr=1&keywords=goat+racing+stripes