• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Derelict 2002 to Autocrosser

BigIrish

I think I definitely have mechanical slop in the pedal.  The pedal moves very freely for about 1.5" before you can feel it engage the master.  You can definitely feel this with the engine off.  Also, if I pump the pedal, this does not improve.  If there was a bunch of air in the system the pedal would get harder with pumping.

this is normal. the brake linkage system in a 2002 positively sucks.  there are numerous pins and connections between the pedal and the master.  a tiny bit of slop in each connection adds up to a lot of slop in the pedal.  i have completely rebuilt every part of the stock system using all the IE bearings and used some tricks to cut down the play, but still have about an inch of pedal movement before the master engages.  after that though, the pedal only moves about another inch and then it is full on.  it should never drop to the bottom.

2xM3

It sounds to me like you need new rear flex brake lines. If you don't get a good flow at 15 lbs when you crack the rear bleeders then the lines must be swollen inside. At high pressure the fluid is being forced past the blockage and will cause the rear brakes to drag since the fluid will not flow back into the system. Replace the lines, bleed with pressure bleeder and then adjust the rear brakes. The pedal should not bottom out when you mash down on it. BTW, I don't like to go past 20 psi with the bleeder.

Ok, I'm relieved to report the brakes are 100% now.  Using the bleeder at 12 psi plus pumping the pedal got the air out of the rear lines and now the brakes will lock up with plenty of pedal left.  Now it feels like the below description, which makes me feel better about what is normal.

about an inch of pedal movement before the master engages.  after that though, the pedal only moves about another inch and then it is full on.  

Thanks for the input!!  I guess I'm ready for the first event.

• 1 month later...

So I forgot to report on my first autocross a few weeks ago:  In summary, it was a blast, the car didn't have any issues, and I will definitely be doing many more of the events.  I had the crappiest BMW at the BMW club event by far, but I had alot of fun.

I'm already thinking about what I need to do next.  The tires are crappy street tires, those will need to be upgraded.

What about camber plates? IE sells some that create 5/8 degree negative camber.  Seems like a tiny amount - are these worth the effort?

IE offset roll center spacers - these seem like better bang for the buck with 1.7 degrees of camber, but I'm worried they'll push the tires into the fenders, which already rub slightly.

Obviously sway bars will need to be looked at.  It has some kind of old aftermarket spring & sway bar kit already, but I need to measure the diameter.  Still lots of body roll.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcome!

I've used the below shop for years on various old cars from a '56 beetle to 60's American cars.  If you take your time and fit them properly, they end up looking just very nice.

Unless you are going basic black vinyl, I'd recommend taking advantage of their free samples.  They'll send you whatever samples you'd like and credit the cost back when you place an order.

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/seatcovers.htm