• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Project: All Original '72

uber wagon

I've been looking for a new project car for a while now and finally picked up this almost entirely original '72 from Arizona.  The seller was the original owner and still had the window sticker and warranty booklets and every service receipt from when it was purchased.  Even found a factory service manual in the trunk!

Needs a few bugs sorted out before I bring it down to bare metal and build it back up again this winter (and maybe next to be honest)...but should be a perfect foundation to start with.

1972%20Orginal_zps03nc2q1h.jpg

Orginal%20Docs_zpsgqltj6pj.jpg

Window%20Sticker_zpsssbfnrch.jpg

Factory%20Repair%20Manual_zps5ouieu4e.jp

1972 2002

1970 2002 'M2'

Wow....if there is little/no rust (AZ car), I propose just doing some basic maint., and drive it as is!!

+1

Looks like a good detailing and full mechanical service would do wonders!

Congrats,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

That is where you want to find a car (AZ, NM etc.,), lots cheaper replace rubber and hoses than cutting, removing and replacing large amounts of sheet metal.  Unless the car was a boat anchor you don't need to worry about a car coming from that part of the country having rust.  By the looks of the cracked paint on the license plate it looks to have seen some "high" heat.  Have fun with your project, you have a really good base to start from (nice color as well...).

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com

Thanks all.  I bought it from a very nice woman in Flagstaff, AZ (who appeared to be a big Grateful Dead fan given the number of dancing bear stickers I've had to remove.)  I get the impression it was her daily driver up until recently.  Plenty of sun damage and some limited surface rust but as dry and straight as they come these days!

Some of the purists might not approve, but the current plan is another M2 build with a full E30 drivetrain and rear end.  Of course, the more I drive it around town in its current form the less I want to modify it....

1972 2002

1970 2002 'M2'

An M2 build on an all-original '72?! Oh boy, now you've done gone and disturbed the hornets' nest! How dare you abuse the hallowed stewardship honors of this fine, pristine '02 that fate and good fortune have bestowed upon you?! YOU shall descend to a lake of FIRE!!

:-)

COOP (Hades-bound Desecrator of '73 tii M2 Evo, 2764282)

Thanks all.  I bought it from a very nice woman in Flagstaff, AZ (who appeared to be a big Grateful Dead fan given the number of dancing bear stickers I've had to remove.)  I get the impression it was her daily driver up until recently.  Plenty of sun damage and some limited surface rust but as dry and straight as they come these days!

Some of the purists might not approve, but the current plan is another M2 build with a full E30 drivetrain and rear end.  Of course, the more I drive it around town in its current form the less I want to modify it....

Don't modify it, there are plenty of M2s around. Drive the hell out of it as is the way the BMW gods intended.

Edited by adawil2002

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

...YOU shall descend to a lake of FIRE...

And sometimes fire is....NICE!

But, COOP, you haven't mentioned that your blasphemy pre-dates the current run-up in '02 values and collectibility, and I seem to recall -- excuse me if my memory is just a tad hazy -- that your recent build took quite a different trajectory, Mr. Prize-Winning, Entirely-Stock, Even-the-Friggin'-Wheel-Covers 2002tii !!!

Guilt? Atonement? Conversion?

Redemption! Another soul saved. Ahhh!

:-)

Best,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

True enough Steve... I guess that I have both extremes covered. I was LOST but now I'm SAVED!

I have to say, that sure is a great find of a beautiful and original Agave '72, particularly given the single owner and accompanying documentation. Congrats Uber Wagon and good luck, regardless of which direction you decide to follow...

COOP