• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 2002tii with Extensive Rust

Conserv

Year:: 1973

Make:: BMW

Model:: 2002

Price:: 2999

Not mine. No affiliation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161820063793?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

VIN 2763476 should be a February or March '73 car, not an August '73 car as advertised; any August '73 tii's were likely square taillights with a VIN beginning with 278XXXX. Looks to be a Chamonix example with factory sunroof. I suppose those seats might be navy blue with layers of dust and dirt brightening already-bleached vinyl. Regardless, I'm not worrying about it!

This is interesting mostly as a data point for pricing. Ten years ago I can't imagine any buyer would have considered saving this extremely rusty example. This was, unambiguously, a parts car. Today, in addition to the seller, who inserted "For Restoration" into the listing title, I'd bet there are a few brave souls sizing this example up: "Can I restore this?" I'd love to see it, especially since it is such a long shot!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Car has a snorkle. I don't see a clock. I didn't decode the VIN, so is it a tii or a 2002 with a tii motor?

All 276XXXX cars are U.S. tii's produced from August '71 through July '73 (round taillights). All 278XXXX cars are U.S. tii's produced from August '73 through December '74 (square taillights). This is VIN 2763476 according to the riveted-on metal VIN tag on the right inner fender (which is admittedly NOT as tamper-resistant as the stamped-in chassis number on the outer edge of the right inner fender, but I see airbox brackets that seem to confirm that the VIN tag is likely original to this car). I keep a "cheat sheet" of tii VINS cross-referenced to manufacturing dates that have been provided by BMW Archives; this allows me to guesstimate a manufacturing date within a month or two.

Not date-precise like a BMW Archives report, but entirely accurate with its wide date ranges, I use the following for an initial confirmation of date, market (U.S. v Europe), and sub-model (e.g., ti, tii, etc.):

http://www.bmwclasicos.com/vin.php

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Oh, I just noticed in the description:

1. The car is actually in Ontario, and must be imported, at buyer's expense, to Lewiston.

2. The car has had no accidents.

Actual knowledge of this latter fact, of course, virtually requires that the seller be the original owner -- and even that standard ignores mishaps that occurred between the car's completion at the factory and its delivery to the original owner. If the seller is not the original owner, that claim is pure hogwash.

Regards,

Steve

Year:: 1973

Make:: BMW

Model:: 2002

Price:: 2999

Not mine. No affiliation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161820063793?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

VIN 2763476 should be a February or March '73 car, not an August '73 car as advertised; any August '73 tii's were likely square taillights with a VIN beginning with 278XXXX. Looks to be a Chamonix example with factory sunroof. I suppose those seats might be navy blue with layers of dust and dirt brightening already-bleached vinyl. Regardless, I'm not worrying about it!

This is interesting mostly as a data point for pricing. Ten years ago I can't imagine any buyer would have considered saving this extremely rusty example. This was, unambiguously, a parts car. Today, in addition to the seller, who inserted "For Restoration" into the listing title, I'd bet there are a few brave souls sizing this example up: "Can I restore this?" I'd love to see it, especially since it is such a long shot!

Regards,

Steve

This one was for sale (Toronto) in the Roundel back in 1992. It was stated to have had a "ground up" resto.

Sad.

Marshall L. parted out 2763484 and noted that it was built 19 Feb '73; this one could have been the same day.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17