• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

15" Steel Wheel help

southgabimmer

I LOVE those Corrado steelies. Super hard to find though. I've been looking for a while.

Another 15" option are Chevy Cobalt steel rims.

James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

Stockton Wheel in...Stockton, CA, could build any size you desire. They can take, for instance, e30 steelie centers and, with a new barrel, give you 15x6 or 15x7 rims in whatever ET you desire.

Not that I would EVER condone modifying a restorable set of rare period rims, they could even make a set of 15x7 "Alpina steelies" from an original set of 14x6 Alpina NK steelies or any of the 13" Alpina '02 steelies, giving you the 15 "lipped" round holes. They'd still say "Lemmerz" or "CMR" on their, respective, faces and generations of rim historians would scratch their heads and marvel at these rare rims! I'm sorry it took me so long to realize this, however, as I had to discard two 13x6 Borrani steelies a few years back that absolutely could not be made true; they could have been the basis for some awesome larger rims, assuming barrel replacement would have solved their issues!

Good luck,

Steve

Thank you!!! That seems like something I might do in the future. Once I find the right design of steel wheel I can send it to them. Thank you!

I found an interesting site. Look for interesting wheel according to specs and you see which cars you could find them from. Low offset is a problem though. Once I had Opel Calibra 15x6 wheels where I took centers off and moved them to change ET. It's doable with simple tools but takes some time to make them straight.

http://www.oponeo.ie/steel-wheels-finder#&&/wEXCAUTcGNrX1RyTFNCb2x0UGF0dGVybgUFNHgxMDAFDHBja19UckxTSG9sZQUBMAUHcGNrX0NQZwUBMQUHcGNrX0lQUAUCMjQFCnBja19UckxTUFQFATAFDHBja19UckxTRGlhbQUCMTUFCHBja19JT0ZQBQIyNAUKcGNrX1RyTFNQRgUBMIWHWaxdMkwntWFkdGy9hEhCOVd3

Tommy

Hey, seem like a good website although I bet shipping would be a bit pricey! None the lees I love their selection of wheels and will definitely be considering them. Thanks!!!

Here is another 15x6 ET35 Corrado/Golf Winter Wheel

Pic was found on here a while back

CorradoSteelies_zps0r2tuwxk.jpg

IMAG1124_zpsyjqcrbax.jpg

Nice car and nice set up! But, the vw steelies, while nice, are just not quite my cup of tea. Thank you for your input though! It is greatly appreciated, and great that I now know what vw steelies look like on an 02!

I LOVE those Corrado steelies. Super hard to find though. I've been looking for a while.

Another 15" option are Chevy Cobalt steel rims.

James

Looking at the cobalt steelies, they look like just the design I'm looking for! Cheap too!  :D  Maybe I could get a set of these, have stockton wheel resize them, and paint them silver! Thank you!

Hey, seem like a good website although I bet shipping would be a bit pricey! None the lees I love their selection of wheels and will definitely be considering them. Thanks!!!

My thinking was that you can look from which car you may find the wheels you like. Then go to junkyards looking for them to get wheels. I believe their offering matches oem wheels. 

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

We don't get many of the cars those wheels come on, and ironically, on those we do,

we often don't get the steel wheels. 

Sometimes you might get a steel wheel as a spare- but often, then, it's 10cm wide...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

That may be true yeah. Many of them were kind of strange for me too so I thought they could be US models, but I guess I just don't know new cars :)

We have steel wheels for at least winter tires pretty much as a standard here. Of course higher end have alloy wheels but they're not 15" nowadays.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Hey my car was shipped to the us i see ;)

The steelies on the derby grey 02 are 15s for sure. Not expensive at all: i paid € 25,- for them (as a set)  ;)

The fenders are rold out a lot (front and rear). In the rear i used e21 323i trailing arm with discs, they 6,5mm wider on each side the original 02's. 

Hey my car was shipped to the us i see ;)

The steelies on the derby grey 02 are 15s for sure. Not expensive at all: i paid € 25,- for them (as a set)  ;)

The fenders are rold out a lot (front and rear). In the rear i used e21 323i trailing arm with discs, they 6,5mm wider on each side the original 02's. 

I must say, beautifully well done 02!!! I love it! Do you happen to remember where you got your wheels from or what car they may have came off?

• 2 years later...

just found this thread ... as i am looking for 15X6 / 4x100 steelies for my 1602

here is what i just found:

https://www.tunershop.com/shop/alcar-steelwheel-8950-6-0x15-et35-4x100-15-inch.html

look identical to the D-hole corrados
~500$ shipped in the US for 4 aftermarkets

anyone ordered these before?

they also seem to have a ton of other sizes for similar steelies:

https://www.tunershop.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=alcar+4x100

thoughts?

1970 1600-2 VERONA conversion at Moment Motors

i just did a bit more searching ...

you can add 6,0x14 to search for smaller rims

https://www.tunershop.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=alcar+4x100+6%2C0x14

or for 15s

https://www.tunershop.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=alcar+4x100+6%2C0x15

the 14s look super perfect for me ... and will maybe not need to roll fenders .......

and may ... just may ... look a little less conspicuous on the 1602

• Like 1

Bookmarked! 

Those appear to be VW Corrado steelies. Same offset as the ones I've got. Didn't know that they made them in 14's so that's good to know. I'm running the 15s fine without having to roll fenders. In fact, they sit far enough in board of the fender that I'm considering getting some spacers to move them out a bit.

Price wise, you can get the 15s cheaper, shipped directly from VW part suppliers in the UK. I recently bought a back up set from here, though it looks like they're currently out of stock: https://www.vwheritage.com/corrado/corrado-wheels/steel-wheels

I say go for it!

James

IMG_20171231_155641.jpg

Edited by Teelinger

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

27 minutes ago, Teelinger said:

Price wise, you can get the 15s cheaper, shipped directly from VW part suppliers in the UK. I recently bought a back up set from here, though it looks like they're currently out of stock: https://www.vwheritage.com/corrado/corrado-wheels/steel-wheels

soooo .... i would for sure prefer the 15s

what tire are your running there?

it looks super great!!

the 15s on the vwheritage site say 5x100s ?

and there are 14x6s that are 4x100

so it seems the only place to get what i'm after is on the tuner site?

i'll reach out to the vwheritage group about 4x100 15x6 ... that would be my first preference

and yeah ... i know about corsa ... just a bit (way) too stanced for me ...

cool and all ... but just not the vibe of this car

cheers

geoff