• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

De-smog question from a happy newbie.

Vicleonardo1

Inherited a one owner 75 Malaga and I am not a wrench monkey.

Hooked after my first drive. Now I wish to restore it to its former glory with several improvements.

It was a California smog choked car that looks like the smog hardware has been deactivated and not removed. It also appears there is a 38/38 weber in place. (It was in Texas).

I would like to eventually clean up the engine bay and remove all that junk.

Would installing a cannon manifold (Ireland Engineering) reduce the number of plugs etc. That I would have to use on the stock manifold?

Are there other manifold options that would be useful and not so $$$$?

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

OK. Thank your for such quick replies.

I will get some pics. Looks like I will have to remove the air cleaner, etc to get a visual for you guys

Give me a day or two.

I think I have a wrench thingy around here somewhere.......

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

It is my understanding that the Cannon manifold does not have the water jacket, to heat it, which is one advantage of the stock manifold.

Some do, some don't.    I have two Cannon manifolds, both of which have bolt on water jacket covers.  Per the attached diagram, I believe the jacket and accompanying gasket are from the stock one barrel manifold.  In other words  -  optional.

Although the Cannon looks a bit more tidy than the stock two-barrel manifold, and weighs slightly less, there is probably not much, if any, performance advantage between the two manifolds.  It is true that the stock two-barrel manifold can benefit from some porting to make better use of various replacement two-barrel Weber downdrafts, but the modification is both optional and relatively easy.  The cannon's primary orifice is sufficienty wide to receive virtually any of these carburetors.  Excepting the ti and tii models, when the majority of 1600s and 02s came in one fuel-delivery flavor (single barrel carb), the Cannon offered a simple two barrel bolt on upgrade.  Soon thereafter, BMW fitted the 02 with a two-barrel Solex. 

Opinions differ regarding flow rates for the two manifolds.  Some of this may be due to the shapes of the manifold mouth onto which the carburetor is attached.  One BMW version is peanut shaped, another has separate round orifices that mate with each carb barrel.  The Cannon offers a wide big hole.  

cannon-2.jpg

See part nos 8 and 12.

19694.jpg

Edited by percy

And...finding a used 2 bbl factory manifold is a lot easier (and cheaper) than the Cannon.  Plugging the extraneous orifices on the factory manifold when you remove all that smog crap is actually pretty easy.  One of the larger threaded holes on mine is plugged with an oil drain bolt from a Renault 4CV.  Fits like a charm.  And the large hole with the three bolt flange/pipe can be plugged with a plug available in the FAQ store, or you can make your own, as I did back in the late 70s before there was a FAQ.  Hell, before there was an internet!

Desmogging is actually pretty easy, as even the electrical part (vacuum relays etc) are served by a separate wiring harness that can be unplugged from the main harness and removed.  

cheers and welcome to the 02 fraternity/sorority.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Desmogged my CA '76 '02. Big difference in performance! Just added a Weber 38/38 (and reamed out the original intake holes to match 38/38). Bigger performance difference! BTW save your smog parts and sell 'em - someone in CA needs them to pass inspection. Sold mine for around $400.

1976 2002 Inka

2008 M5 Sapphire Black Metallic, 6-speed

Desmogged my CA '76 '02. Big difference in performance! Just added a Weber 38/38 (and reamed out the original intake holes to match 38/38). Bigger performance difference! BTW save your smog parts and sell 'em - someone in CA needs them to pass inspection. Sold mine for around $400.

You can always rent them out to folks to get their certification and then return the parts 

https://www.2002ad.com/storeworks/view_item.cfm?id=1839

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/