• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I missed that thread in 2007! Vintage spam at the end of it also!

I bought mine on the classifieds on this board a couple years ago. Also I have a silver one, as referenced in your thread. Heh. That one is cut for the car...

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Scott Sislane has a Tulip tip antenna.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Some of these items may not be any "rarer" than threads about rarity. :rolleyes:     By definition, all original parts and accessories, even for a mass produced car, tend to get scarcer after four decades.   To me, rare is an all original or unmolested 40 year old car.   Rare is also a one-off car.   The original post seeks "parts, cars, or items that don't show up too often."  This probably includes a hefty percentage of this forum's threads. 

Looking back through the archives there are tool kits and literature and headliners that seem to be rarer than rare especially when offered for sale.  But are they?  The same may be asked of old new stock seat pads and glass.  Is a boxed Bosch 175T30 plug rare?   Or the Judson magneto?

Not to brag, but I have the folding keys  .  .  . and I have had three cars equiped with Hirschmann "red tipped" antenna.  I suppose it is rare that despite other things "lifted" from my cars, e.g., badging, trim, turn signals, shift knobs,  the red tips stayed put.  Sislane had several posts concerning these..  http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/90158-red-tip-by-ought2oooohhh/

;)

Percy is a rare name.

:D

Ray

Anyone willing to part with one of those Hirshmann jewel tip antennas?

Even back then BMW was smart about "Distracted Driving".  Very cool.

Since I understand all radios were dealer-installed, you might revise your comment to "Blaupunkt."

:)

Cheers,

Ray

Since I understand all radios were dealer-installed, you might revise your comment to "Blaupunkt."

Good point.  So I guess any car of that period could have the foot switch added.  huh.  I remember high beams on my dad's Chrysler, and other cars having that switch on the floor.  But never the radio.  I suppose driving 160k on the autobahn would spark the idea of hands-free radio control.  

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Both my '02s have the Golde pop-up air deflectors on their sunroofs.  And both were salvaged from 70s vintage Porsche 911s; they bolted right in.  And the little plastic clips that fasten to the underside of the sunroof panel (to prevent rattles) are still available from Porsche.  They look very cool, but there's a tradeoff:  less buffeting at speed with the sunroof open, but more wind noise.  

But they still look cool.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Stan Chamallas (Stan on the FAQ)) remanufactures/remanufactured the Golde wind deflectors with aluminum billet hinges, new springs and white plastic clips.  Better than original he was selling them for $450 each installed.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Good point. So I guess any car of that period could have the foot switch added. huh. I remember high beams on my dad's Chrysler, and other cars having that switch on the floor. But never the radio. I suppose driving 160k on the autobahn would spark the idea of hands-free radio control.

My familiarity with the foot switch is with Becker Grand Prix radios. The Grand Prix models, which were the top of the Becker line, had "Wonderbar Tuning" (a.k.a., automatic search tuning), via a face-mounted pushbar, from the late '50s. And you need to have automatic search tuning in order to have the foot-actuated switch. If your radio didn't have automatic search tuning -- and very few did in the '50s and '60s -- a foot switch wasn't possible. The earliest example I've seen was a '61 MB 300d with what I am certain was the original Grand Prix and a foot switch. I suppose I don't know for certain, however, whether the foot switch was available in '61, available earlier, or added later in the '60s.

The foot switch was, at minimum, a German high-end radio thing from at least the '60s, possibly earlier.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

My familiarity with the foot switch is with Becker Grand Prix radios. The Grand Prix models, which were the top of the Becker line, had "Wonderbar Tuning" (a.k.a., automatic search tuning), via a face-mounted pushbar, from the late '50s. And you need to have automatic search tuning in order to have the foot-actuated switch. If your radio didn't have automatic search tuning -- and very few did in the '50s and '60s -- a foot switch wasn't possible. The earliest example I've seen was a '61 MB 300d with what I am certain was the original Grand Prix and a foot switch. I suppose I don't know for certain, however, whether the foot switch was available in '61, available earlier, or added later in the '60s.

I believe the radio is a "Coburg" model.  The button on the far left of the bank of buttons also activates the "go to the next station" seek function.  

The German couple I bought the car from told me "you don't want to be looking down at your radio when you're on the Autobahn".  Makes sense.  I called them a few days after I bought the car - I thought the switch looked like an old American car high-beam switch, even though I knew it wasn't.  Imagine my amazement when they told me it changed the radio station.  I used to mess with people - told them the radio would change stations if they snapped their fingers.  People eventually figured it out.  :)

Scott 

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI