• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 BMW 1602 - Florida/Saddle - Gorgeous California Car - LOADS of Pics

DMC

Year:: 1969

Make:: BMW

Model:: 2002

Price:: 23000

Hi everyone, after two attempts to sell the car on ebay and two bidders flake unrelated to the car (brother's friend's sister owes him money from 1984, can I hold the car for a month while they figure it out kind of stuff), I am hard pressed to relist on there.  So let's give it a try here. 

This is truly a beautiful 1602 and probably one of the nicest in the country.  We paid more for the car then we are asking and looking for it to find a nice home.  I did a little cut and paste from my ad before, so apologies if there is any auction rhetoric in it, but I wrote a lot so hopefully it is still helpful.  Please feel free to reach out with any questions.  I am not a dealer, we have a ~200 private car collection and are just refocusing some of the very full space on some other marques. 

Feel free to email directly at rob@dietzmotorcraft.com.  Also have a BMW 700 Baur Convertible we are actively marketing to sell and a 1600GT Glas, Luxus, a few Isetta and 2800CS we would sell though have not started marketing them yet. 

Thanks and onwards...

The Condition and Service:

Let's start on the engine and drivetrain:

-ENGINE

Matching numbers engine!  The engine comes to life immediately with a twist of the key.  With even a crack of the throttle it, the BMW feels peppy, smooth, loves to rev, and effortlessly pulls away!  More then a leisurely drive?  Keep your foot in it and the real thrill of the engine comes to life!  The powerband sits above the 3k rpm marker and comes alive as and you comfortably and quickly pull away from your fellow drivers. It really is a quite a special little engine.  The engine is free of any issues, shows no major (or really any) leaks.  Starts right up cold or warm and settles into idle quickly.

Check out the engine bay pics!  Clean, tidy and well cared!

-TRANSMISSION

The 4 speed transmission is in FANTASTIC shape.  Tight, confident shifts. NO grinds, NO syncro issues.  The shifter eases into gear without any drama. 

-SUSPENSION

No bangs, no rough ride, no clunks! The shocks dampen wonderfully!  The car is tight in corners, and comfortable on the straights!  

-BRAKES

Confident pedal, great pressure with a firm positive stop. 

-STEERING

Steering feels good, tight and with no excessive vibrations or play.

Let's continue to the exterior:

-PAINT and BODY

The paint is VERY nice!  It is a 8 out of 10 easily.  Shiny, beautiful, Florida paint was recently polished, finished and waxed and looks wonderful.  Flaws are minor at best and would represent a car that was well cared for, but enjoyed. It is the original color and was repainted in a perfect match.  I can find NO rust on the car.  Clean trunk, floors, shock towers, cowl, etc.  There is some light surface oxidation on little stone chips/etc underneath in some places and that is it. 

-WHEELS/TIRES

Great shape wheel covers, wheels and tires. Shiny metal on the wheel covers and loads of tread on the tires! 

-BUMPERS and BRIGHT WORK

The bumpers are in wonderful shape! No dents, cracks or issues!  Chrome is nice all around the car with only minor flaws.

-GLASS/WINDOWS

Not to let a pebble defeat this car, the windshield is great shape, with no chips or sandblasting.  The door and rear glass is wonderful shape!  Clear and clean! 

Onto the cabin:

-SEATS

The Saddle Brown seats are in wonderful shape!  No splits, no worn spots!  Just wonderful and soft!  It really is a treat to spend time in these seats.  Rear seats are in great shape as well! 

-DASHBOARD

Beautiful shape!!  Two very small cracks that were repaired and not very noticeable.  Please see the pics below.

-DOOR PANELS

Very nice panels, no stains, tears or issues!

-CARPET

Very nice carpet in the car!  No heel wear or stains!  Coco mats in wonderful shape!

-WINDOWS

Windows roll down and up with no issues.  Good tracks and no dead rollers.  Rears pop out nicely.

-RADIO

Original Blaupunkt radio works GREAT!  

-STEERING WHEEL

The wheel is in great shape with no major defects or cracking! 

Documentation/Tools/Manuals

This beauty comes complete with the owner’s manual, BMW scarf and umbrella, toolkit and records!

The Experience:

This 1602 is a dream to drive. It is tight, very comfortable, very quick, nimble and smooth.   It has all the power it had from the factory and then some, and from even a little gas is torquey and responsive.  It is so easy to fall in love with this BMW.  One twist of the key and she is humming along at idle.  Press the gas and she growls!  Rowing the gears of this BMW on windy road is about as close to driving nirvana one can get.  There were so few cars like the 1602 to drive.  I find myself in odd cars all of the time, from the hyper expensive and rare, to the quirky, to the mundane.  This 1602 is one of my favorite cars to drive.  It has the soul of a racecar and the nuts and bolts of a touring car.  It has this great big steering wheel that feels wonderful in your hands and the car allows you to turn into any corner with confidence.  I hope you can tell by my long ad that this car is an wonderful and beautiful 1602.   This really is a very special car to drive and with the ongoing care within the collection, it is a worry free BMW, ready to be enjoyed for the second half of summer and fall! These coupes are renowned for their driving experience, and this particular example is of the finest examples available; it's ideal for touring and classic car events.  They are becoming extremely collectible as well!

Feel free to ask me any questions at all.  Residents around the country I am happy to be flexible for your arranged shipper so that you can get your new car as soon as possible. 

Edited_IMG_2038_1280x850.jpg

Edited_IMG_2039_1280x852.jpg

Edited_IMG_2040_1280x852.jpg

Edited_IMG_2041_1280x854.jpg

Edited_IMG_2042_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2043_1280x854.jpg

Edited_IMG_2044_1280x852.jpg

Edited_IMG_2081_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2079.jpg

Edited_IMG_2082_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2083_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2074_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2076_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2073_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2060_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2066_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2067_1280x853.jpg

20150812_122138.jpg

20150812_122456.jpg

20150812_122521.jpg

20150812_122804.jpg

20150812_122814.jpg

20150812_122848.jpg

Edited_IMG_2070_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2046_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2047_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2078_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2049_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2050_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2057_1280x853.jpg

20150812_122644.jpg

20150812_122708.jpg

20150812_122729.jpg

20150812_122750.jpg

Edited_IMG_2052_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2053_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2054_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2055_1280x853.jpg

Edited_IMG_2286_1280x590.jpg

Adding pics of the underside and pics of the rubber to show it was all removed when the car was painted. Had some questions about if there was any overpsray etc. Underside: No rust, great shape and pretty darn clean for a car that has been driven and enjoyed!

20150821_161719.jpg

20150821_161724.jpg

20150821_161738.jpg

20150821_161751.jpg

20150821_161754.jpg

20150821_161854.jpg

20150821_161933.jpg

20150821_161939.jpg

20150821_161950.jpg

20150821_162012.jpg

20150821_162021.jpg

20150821_162033.jpg

20150821_162048.jpg

20150821_162056.jpg

Rubber trim - no overspray - all removed when painted.  Very nice paint job when done.

20150821_162347.jpg

20150821_162405.jpg

20150821_162427.jpg

No worries Rob, happy to answer.

It sold for $19k the first time and our bidder flaked.  Reposted it sold for $18k and again the bidder had some excuse how he didnt mean to bid etc.  So thankfully and unthankfully for us, they both flaked at that price.  Why would we expect it to get more?  Well frankly, because we believe it is worth more.  We paid over that when we bought the car from Gooding and that was with more than a few bidders in the room, so we aren't totally crazy by any means.  The last 1602 that sold on ebay sold for $27k and ours is a nicer car, no offensive to the owner, as his was beautiful, but ours has zero rust, his did, and ours is a more rare color.

As far as Chamonix, yes, I mislisted it.  I apparently am totally color blind.  It in every way appears white to me.  Yet every person I showed it to quickly corrected me.  My bad eyes simply just assumed it was Chamonix because, well it looked Chamonix to me!  So it turns out I'm human and make mistakes :)

Never saw the thread on the car before, but we aren't looking to make money on it, but not looking to take a bath on it.  Would just happily keep it and find some room by selling a different car, so if Ebay (which sometimes has strong pricing and sometimes weak) thinks it worth $18/19k, we just happen to disagree.  Not by a huge amount either mind you, but noteworthy enough where we didn't put up much of a fight after the buyers dogs ate their homework.  If you are looking for a very nice 1602, there are few that will be nicer than this one, so choices become somewhat limited.  Original CA car, no rust, great color combo (even if I am blind), etc. 

Happy to answer any other questions. 

Rob

I'm the owner of the $27k 1600.  I agree your car is very nice and should be worth $20k+ in its condition as the cost of restoring it to that condition would be well over $20k today.  However it's not necessarily as valuable as mine was because mine was *original* not restored, which commands a higher premium.  Original Florida paint, no accidents.  Also 67's are much more rare and hard to restore than 68+ cars due to their many unique parts.  There was only some minor surface rust in a couple places in the engine compartment.

I believe I bid $9k on your car on eBay back in 2005 when it was in Los Angeles and it sold for like $12k I recall.  Losing that auction led to me getting my '67.  Small world.  Good luck with the sale, it's a pretty car for sure!

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

Hi Jeff, nice to chat again!  Without a doubt, I think yours if worth more, but I think the condition of ours is a little cleaner.  Your rarity, originality and ad/knowledge I think all value that car higher than ours.  Ours I think is a little cleaner like I said (zero rust and CA car and it's a repaint - so I would hope it would be a little nicer! :) ) but your certainly should be worth more hence I think us asking $5k less isn't a bad place to be on the car.  I still think yours is one of the nicest 1602 out there and certainly your ad did full justice to how great of a car it was.  All settled up and at its new home?

No worries Rob, happy to answer.

It sold for $19k the first time and our bidder flaked.  Reposted it sold for $18k and again the bidder had some excuse how he didnt mean to bid etc.  So thankfully and unthankfully for us, they both flaked at that price.  Why would we expect it to get more?  Well frankly, because we believe it is worth more.  We paid over that when we bought the car from Gooding and that was with more than a few bidders in the room, so we aren't totally crazy by any means.  The last 1602 that sold on ebay sold for $27k and ours is a nicer car, no offensive to the owner, as his was beautiful, but ours has zero rust, his did, and ours is a more rare color.

As far as Chamonix, yes, I mislisted it.  I apparently am totally color blind.  It in every way appears white to me.  Yet every person I showed it to quickly corrected me.  My bad eyes simply just assumed it was Chamonix because, well it looked Chamonix to me!  So it turns out I'm human and make mistakes :)

Never saw the thread on the car before, but we aren't looking to make money on it, but not looking to take a bath on it.  Would just happily keep it and find some room by selling a different car, so if Ebay (which sometimes has strong pricing and sometimes weak) thinks it worth $18/19k, we just happen to disagree.  Not by a huge amount either mind you, but noteworthy enough where we didn't put up much of a fight after the buyers dogs ate their homework.  If you are looking for a very nice 1602, there are few that will be nicer than this one, so choices become somewhat limited.  Original CA car, no rust, great color combo (even if I am blind), etc. 

Happy to answer any other questions. 

Rob

Jeff,

Don't get me wrong. I think it's a beautiful car. I think the other 1602 was so pristine and original that it commanded a much higher premium. So I definitely think (as many on the forum do) that the level attained on Ebay on your second go round is about the top limit here. The other thread posed some good questions that should be answered. I myself would want more to know more about the "history" of the car.  Mostly whether body panels are all original and if body work was performed. GLWS

Rob

Understood and no offensive or anything of the like taken.  We will see what happens, again, we think its worth a little more than ebay was leading on, so our flakey bidders were a slight blessing, but if its not worth more, we will just hold the car.  There are plenty of other cars we can find some space with and just enjoy the 1602 for the time.  To my knowledge and eyes all panels are original.  We bought the car from Gooding, so sometimes full background are limited to every detail though. 

Understood and no offensive or anything of the like taken.  We will see what happens, again, we think its worth a little more than ebay was leading on, so our flakey bidders were a slight blessing, but if its not worth more, we will just hold the car.  There are plenty of other cars we can find some space with and just enjoy the 1602 for the time.  To my knowledge and eyes all panels are original.  We bought the car from Gooding, so sometimes full background are limited to every detail though. 

So when your ad says "records" does that refer to detailed maintenance records ?  For example, who did the respray, etc

The more history the better. I understand auction vehicles may come in blind. History always helps value.

Will check with our paperwork manager to see what we have, I don't recall offhand, but Gooding had given a folder of paperwork if I recall. 

Not sure off hand who did the respray, but is quiet nice, no orange peel, no tape lines etc.  Thats a lie, there is a tiny little tape line at a couple of the stickers under the hood, but nothing on the car, trim, rubber etc was removed. 

Hi Jeff, nice to chat again!  Without a doubt, I think yours if worth more, but I think the condition of ours is a little cleaner.  Your rarity, originality and ad/knowledge I think all value that car higher than ours.  Ours I think is a little cleaner like I said (zero rust and CA car and it's a repaint - so I would hope it would be a little nicer! :) ) but your certainly should be worth more hence I think us asking $5k less isn't a bad place to be on the car.  I still think yours is one of the nicest 1602 out there and certainly your ad did full justice to how great of a car it was.  All settled up and at its new home?

Yep, it moved across the county to Maine.  To the 7-car garage of a German car collector who loves original cars...

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

I like this car a lot. I do have a few items to mention, though. It appears that someone along the way wanted a 2002, but this car was so nice and they probably already owned it, so did the mods to it rather than find another car. It has an early silver dollar 2002 tach, and 2002 seats in saddle color that  works on this 02. Short neck diff, real c/v joints at both ends of the axles, sway bars and surprising, a 68 1600 dash with no ribs for the sunglass tray on top. These are all details personal to the one who did the changes. Not knocking the car, it's unique and I would like to drive it. It is one of my fave 02 colors. I do have a suggestion for improving this car. The pics clearly show a collapsed brake booster valve hose between the intake manifold and check valve. The brakes will work better. That hose is under strong vacuum and needs to be the correct one for the task, or it gets sucked in and closes off the vacuum to the booster.

Edited by oh2fly

I like this car a lot. I do have a few items to mention, though. It appears that someone along the way wanted a 2002, but this car was so nice and they probably already owned it, so did the mods to it rather than find another car. It has an early silver dollar 2002 tach, and 2002 seats in saddle color that  works on this 02. Short neck diff, real c/v joints at both ends of the axles, sway bars and surprising, a 68 1600 dash with no ribs for the sunglass tray on top. These are all details personal to the one who did the changes. Not knocking the car, it's unique and I would like to drive it. It is one of my fave 02 colors. I do have a suggestion for improving this car. The pics clearly show a collapsed brake booster valve hose between the intake manifold and check valve. The brakes will work better. That hose is under strong vacuum and needs to be the correct one for the task, or it gets sucked in and closes off the vacuum to the booster.

Wow...I'm impressed. I had emailed Rob a few times as I have a client that was interested in the car but did not have me pull the trigger on Ebay (he does not have an Ebay account). He was bummed by the $23K price since it only fetched $18K on Ebay. I will say Rob has been very accommodating to my questions. He was not aware of the 2002 seats. Your other items are interesting and certainly could be a distraction to a purist. I did ask him about the repaint and whether it was single stage. Rob was not sure.  He thought the seat bottom was not a replacement  

Russ

Edited by Russkcpa

1973 Tii Turkis

1983 320is Henna

Yep, it moved across the county to Maine.  To the 7-car garage of a German car collector who loves original cars...

Great to hear Jeff!

Thanks for the keen eye, and that is always helpful for me to learn and to make sure the car is represented correctly too.  Brakes felt very nice, so perhaps it is not collapsed too bad, but will certainly address. 

Wow...I'm impressed. I had emailed Jeff a few times as I have a client that was interested in the car but did not have me pull the trigger on Ebay (he does not have an Ebay account). He was bummed by the $23K price since it only fetched $18K on Ebay. I will say Jeff has been very accommodating to my questions. He was not aware of the 2002 seats. Your other items are interesting and certainly could be a distraction to a purist. I did ask him about the repaint and whether it was single stage. Jeff was not sure.  He thought the seat bottom was not a replacement  

Russ

Russ, I think you are confusing me, Rob, with Jeff the last owner of the $27k original paint 1602

We aren't totally firm on the $23, but we will hold for anything less then 20's if we aren't taking the auction route. 

As far as the paint, it appears like a single stage, but I would not be able to confirm 100%. 

Always happy to answer any questions.  At the end of the day I am just a car nut, happy to chat cars all day :)

Russ, I think you are confusing me, Rob, with Jeff the last owner of the $27k original paint 1602.

Hi Rob. I'm sorry about that. I have edited my post to fix my mistake

Thanks for pointing that out.

Another post had asked about records or documents. Did your office find any ? I'm curious about its history as well.

Looking at that Tii I told you about with Gil tomorrow-although he still likes your 1602

Thanks

Russ

1973 Tii Turkis

1983 320is Henna