• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

so... what does the green button do in YOUR car?

scoTTlarock

Sorry if this has been covered; I tried to search "green button" but no search results came back.

I am curious to know exactly what the green button does in each of your cars...  I have read the owners manual and couldnt find anything about this button as the manual seems to be "generic" for all models.  

My frame of reference:

1. My 76 I owned 4 years ago had the behr AC console with no button at all, just a hole.  I found a button from something else and just plugged the hole using that with some superglue on the back side.

2.  I checked out a 76 for sale a few months ago- also had the behr AC cosole- and despite owning the car for many years, the owner couldnt tell me what it did.  We pressed it a few times and nothing happened.

3.  Now in the 76 I own, the green button was explained to me by the prior owner as being a "kill switch".  In this car, if you press the button, the car will not crank over.  If you press it again, the car cranks and runs like normal.  This has to be some sort of aftermarket thing, no?

My questions:

Does anyone know what it actually did from the factory?  Is this kill switch "factory"?  If not, what does your button do?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks!! 

12 BMW 135i + 76 BMW 2002

Don't have a green button ., but then again I have a 72 i aways thought the green button was a dummy, next to the hazard button .., does the button actually push in and out ? ., and no 02 came from factory with a green button kill switch .. I don't think you would want a kill switch visible to the naked eye

jmr-- but the fog lights have their own pull-out knob on the far left of the dashboard, at least mine does in the 76.  

tony-- yeah it seemed like a dummy, at least in that 76 i looked at two months ago.  the button does push in and out, in both that car i saw before and in my current 76.

12 BMW 135i + 76 BMW 2002

I think the function green button switches were euro market only and used for the rear fog lamp (though I could be mistaken) and they are quite hard to find today correct?

I have a '73 and the previous owner put an intermittent wiper switch in the dash where the 'fog-lamp' switch was originally, and moved the fog lights down to the green switch on the Behr AC console. 

From the factory, U.S. cars only got a green (or black) dummy button. You could buy the functioning (and lighting) version of the button, however, from U.S. dealers. In the round taillight era, we used the functioning green button for fog (front and/or rear) or driving lights, which is, I believe, precisely how non-U.S. car owners used them. In the square taillight era, we gained a dash switch labeled "Front Fog Lights", so the functioning green buttons were thereafter used primarily for rear fog lights and driving lights.

Or...anything else you wanted to do with them! But I believe they were designed for auxiliary lighting.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

If you have a Frigiking A/C unit, you don't even have a dummy green button....

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I sourced a proper button to replace the original dummy one. I use it as an electric fan override switch. On another note, I no longer use a choke, so I'm wondering what I could use the choke for if anything (it must have an electrical component to activate the red instrument light)

Mine was a dummy. I sourced a purple original lighted defroster button and wired it to my yellow foglights. The Cibie lights are wired to come on with the high beams. I dig, but the switch was $...however the OEM is much better quality than the cheap Chinese one that died after using it 4 times...

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element