• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

so... what does the green button do in YOUR car?

scoTTlarock

Mine was a dummy. I instead sourced an original defroster switch, which is purple and lit, and wired my yellow fogs to it. The cheap Chinese imitation switch I had failed "on" after using it twice. The original is NLA and $ used but works great. Some filing and material removal is required for a correct fit in the Behr.

post-42945-0-02345500-1442335519_thumb.j

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

Mine turn on the Hella 160 H4 driving lights. They are wired to turn on with the high beams, using the factory connection near the battery. So I have low beam, medium and all 4 are high beams.

post-38744-0-81568800-1442336301_thumb.j

My signature picture.

post-38744-0-43313000-1442336354_thumb.j

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

My car originally came with the dummy button but I have since switched it out to the black 'city' light button.  Which I suppose is a true European option, for the headlights with markers in the lamp, vs. the lights in the turn indicators at the corners.  I have it wired to the rear of the car for a rear fog, but its not installed.  I may eventually go to the Hella H4s with the city lights, just for kicks..  but who knows.  

IMG_3433.jpg

For the OP, you could use the choke location as a volume control location for a stealth audio system..  I drilled out a spare knob and put it on a JL Audio line leveler.

IMG_3431.jpg

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

My car originally came with the dummy button but I have since switched it out to the black 'city' light button.  Which I suppose is a true European option, for the headlights with markers in the lamp, vs. the lights in the turn indicators at the corners.  I have it wired to the rear of the car for a rear fog, but its not installed.  I may eventually go to the Hella H4s with the city lights, just for kicks..  but who knows.  

IMG_3433.jpg

For the OP, you could use the choke location as a volume control location for a stealth audio system..  I drilled out a spare knob and put it on a JL Audio line leveler.

IMG_3431.jpg

what the heck are city lights

I thought "city lights" only illuminated one side at a time, using your turn signal switch when the ignition is off and the car is parked. It illuminates the side of your car exposed to traffic so traffic doesn't hit your parked car. We used to call these "parking" or "clearance lights" (the latter is how they were translated in the English version of 1950's MB owner's manuals), but not in the U.S. sense of parking lights, which were used while your car was in motion. If this is not what we're referring to as "city lights", I am, once again, clueless!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I thought "city lights" only illuminated one side at a time, using your turn signal switch when the ignition is off and the car is parked. It illuminates the side of your car exposed to traffic so traffic doesn't hit your parked car.

These city lights are small low-watt bulbs installed in the body of the light.  Produces a faint "glow" for the entire lamp when the parking/corner lights are on.  I have them in my E28 Euro headlights.  Examples:

19010.png

hella.JPG

Not mine:

P1070893.jpg

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

They are not used as daytime running lights. They are basically low wattage lights for driving in areas with street lights where you don't need headlights to see. They are also used as parking lights with either both sides lit or just the side which is away from the kerb using the feature with the direction indicator stalk to set which side is lit. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/