• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW1600 68' Need some help with parts

bmw1600sb

Hello 

I rescued an BMW 1600 68' last week car was seated in a big car garden in Cuyama if someone is familiar with the documentary "Last man in paradise"  this car was parked there, it was pretty sad to see a beautiful car cover in mud an getting destroy. With the help of some friends we rescued the car and bring it to Santa Barbara after a deep cleaning car it's starting to come to life. I'm working in the car everyday so far I was able to make it run but still a long process to go my goal is to have it running by the end of the year. I need some parts to start working in the car so maybe one of you have some advice to give me or parts that can be sell to me. I want to keep the car original so  I know will be hard to find the parts for it

Parts needed:

Brake System: needs Master cylinder and Brake Booster (don't know the right part number and not sure if will be a good idea to rebuild it or just find a replacement) also need to know what kind of system the car has to get the right calipers and rotors. 

Rocker Arm: one of the rocker arm in the engine is broken so don't know if someone had the same issue. 

Seats : Driver Seat and back seat are destroyed so I would like to get a replacement

Thanks in advance for all your help and comments. 

Attached are the pictures of the place where I rescued it and the last picture is in Santa Barbara after a good cleaning. 

Erick

post-49343-0-23460100-1442378088_thumb.j

post-49343-0-24244700-1442378095_thumb.j

post-49343-0-76215100-1442378097_thumb.j

post-49343-0-75980000-1442378099_thumb.j

Hi Erick,

Awesome find. I love that swan neck mirror. The rest of the car looks to be in great shape.

For used/new parts I usually post in the WTB section here on the site. If I can't find them here or if I need them in a hurry I go to blunttech.com

Also, I do buy parts from BMW of South Atlanta. They're site has good charts and exploded views of just about everything. Also it's easy to find part numbers on there site. Check em out here. http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com

Good luck getting her back on the road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jmr_1602

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

....Brake System: needs Master cylinder and Brake Booster (don't know the right part number and not sure if will be a good idea to rebuild it or just find a replacement) also need to know what kind of system the car has to get the right calipers and rotors....

If you have the original parts, White Post Restorations can probably rebuild them. It's good to have options!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Yep, you got the remote servo & MC bolted directly to the pedal box. The rebuild kits for these have been NLA for some time...BUT...you can use an Alfa kit to rebuild it. I found mine here:

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/braking-system/540

Depending on which early MC you have, you will need one or two of these kits to do the job. You can also send  you MC to White Post Restorations to be re-sleeved in brass

http://www.whitepost.com/brake.html

A little pricey i have heard.....or you can be like me...glue some brillo pad/scotch brite pad cut to just the right length to wrap around an old socked that it just the right size to be a tight fit into the cylinder bore, attach it to and extension, then to an electric driver on a low speed, and hone it out that way.

That servo can be sent to Linwar for a rebuit unit:

http://www.linwar.com/bmw_e10_brake_cylinders_servos.html

Not cheap...but I personally do not know anywhere ere stateside to get that done...hopefully someone else can chime in here!

You've gotten a lot of good advice from arminyack!

White Post claims to rebuild just about any servo as well. I'd suspect the price might equal or exceed Linwar -- since they'd be doing a "one off" rebuild for you -- but the shipping might be measurably less than Linwar. I have NOT personally used White Post, but their name keeps coming up whether I'm talking to Ford truck or Alfa Giulietta guys!

I, personally, would not drive a car parked for many(?) years without re-doing the entire brake system: (1.) seals deteriorate; (2) brakes are good to have.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

a 2002 petal assembly with a booster would bolt into the body, then  you get hydraulic clutch, use early slave its adjustable, for clutch,  upgrade the brakes with  tii rotors and single inlet calipers, the early stuff is not too good thats why they changed it to 2002 style on the later 1600 s , use the best brakes you can,  i owned a 1600 in 70 s the motor is very smooth but the did not stop well, any help or advise i worked on them  when they were low milage, Bruce M-tuner 20flyinghorses@msn.com

• 2 months later...

Guys after 3 months finally got some parts that I needed to run my 1600 the hardest thing was to find the booster and repair the brake calipers, so far the head was rebuilt and calipers as well, new water pump was installed same as new tires. Car is in testing phase so tomorrow  we  will bleed the brake system and paint the wheels.

I found a great mechanic in Sun Valley his name is Vanik (Bavaria Auto Repair  http://bavariaautorepair.com) he was so kind to put all this together for me, so talented and have so much dedication and passion for this kind of bimmers I have to said he is the best!! I had to towed my car from Santa Barbara to Sun Valley

Attached is a video of the car today it's running!!! can't wait to go for a ride. 

Thanks to all of you for your post and your comments help me a lot. 

Cheers

IMG_8352.mov

Edited by bmw1600sb

• 2 weeks later...