• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Undercoating - Anyone Applied?

FrictionTape

On 9/19/2015 at 0:04 PM, schoir said:

If you're planning on doing it soon, I'll post the process in my restoration thread as I have just completed inside the trunk area so that you can get an idea of what's involved.

Regards, Maurice.

please, I'm looking at undercoating some new panels under my newly acquired '74

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

I recently purchased a '74 with some floor panel and spare carrier sections replaced on the underside. The tank may be new as well. Now that Fall is upon us, I need to protect it. I currently don't have access to a lift, so floor jack, jack stands and harbor freight sprayer will be used if I go DIY. 

This car will live in a garage and won't be my main source of transportation, but I do intend to drive it weekly as the weather allows in the Northwest.

is there a basic "how-to" out there or can someone post the process. thanks

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

OK, figured it out. going with etching primer then either 3M or eastwood coating over that

I'd recommend that you go with an epoxy primer over an etching primer.  I also recommend that you seriously consider using something like the devilbiss dekups system if you intend on shooting from the underside with the car on jack stands above you.  That system allows you shoot upside down if necessary.  Trying to shoot in the orientation you describe will be really difficult with the standard gravity fed set up.  

Southern polyurethanes makes a black epoxy primer that's tough as nails and is easy for a novice painter to shoot.. 

Edited by Tdh

18 hours ago, Tdh said:

I'd recommend that you go with an epoxy primer over an etching primer.  I also recommend that you seriously consider using something like the devilbiss dekups system if you intend on shooting from the underside with the car on jack stands above you.  That system allows you shoot upside down if necessary.  Trying to shoot in the orientation you describe will be really difficult with the standard gravity fed set up.  

Southern polyurethanes makes a black epoxy primer that's tough as nails and is easy for a novice painter to shoot.. 

I meant to say epoxy. I was wondering about the orientation of the spray gun and gravity fed container. I'll check the devilbiss dekups system, thanks

Edited by joebarthlow

IIRC, I simply used a 1" flat chisel which removed the undercoating fairly easily.  Cleaned up the residue with lacquer thinner leaving as much of the initial factory primer as possible. Followed with a coat of epoxy primer and finally a shot of Wurth rubberized undercoating.

• 11 months later...

Heat/fire helps to scrape off the unwanted original coating followed by a wire wheel to get the rest off in bigger surface areas.  Of course fire only due to the fact that the car is completely stripped up on a lift....not to be done with any components on the chassis.  

The plan is to POR15 the little small areas along the rocker pinches and spot welds.  After that is dried, I will close up those rocker seams with seam sealer on top of the POR15.  Once those little areas are done, I am using 3M non rubberized undercoating for the entire chassis.  I want to get that Eastwood sprayer to spray coating inside of the frame rail, inside of the rockers and in that little pocket next to the rear subframe stud.  My concern with the bed liners and heavier thickness undercoating procedures is that if there is a break in the coating, it can hide and contain moisture leading you down the same road many of us encounter now.  

At first I was content with just cleaning the contaminated layer off of the bottom and leaving the original coating until cleaning one area lead me to find a couple of little holes.  Breaking it down further with the wire wheel, they formed on a rusty area (of course).  Luckily after I broke it down there was lots of good metal around the little holes, so I welded them up and then ground down to a smooth finish like the rest of the floor.  This discovery is what made me want to break the rest of the original undercoating down just for clarity of the chassis while I'm here doing it.  No point in cutting corners during prep work.  

Moral of the story....rotisserie.

1972 2002tii // 2008 M3