• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Respect

zinz

Was cruising down the highway in Austin this afternoon.  I spy in the rearview a black Lamborghini Aventador coming up passing me on the left.  I waved out the window as he came by and he slowed down next to me and gave the ol' Squaretail a big thumbs up...

Who'd a thunk it?

Ed Z

post-42878-0-24104900-1443308958_thumb.j

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Yeah happens plenty of times to me and many others on here as you probably know.  I found out it doesn't matter what they are driving.  If they are car lovers in general, they don't mind showing a little love to these old timers. 

Still puts a smile on my face though!!!!!   :)

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

Porsche, maybe.  Audi?  The local Alfisti are usually pretty happy to see the old BMWs. 

They DO tease about not leaving oil spots, though.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Interesting--this Ofest trip in my E30 318is is the first one where I've had folks ask about and admire the car--same as they done with the 2002 for many years.  I guess E30s are getting uncommon enough to draw attention.  Particularly when they're red.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My inference was from the memory of Alfa's whipping 02's ass in the old U2 TransAm series...I wanted an Alfa, but a logical one, so I bought a (used) 2002. Yes, I still love Alfas...old ones. I remember, as a kid, thinking that the GTV engines were too pretty to be any good...I was wrong, of course. Love that Spyder...First one I saw in person was a new (I think), midnight blue '67, at the Chimney Rock hill climb in Lake Lure, NC. Not racing, just there...and right behind it was a Porsche 904 of the street variety...race won by a 427 Cobra...What a time to be 12 years old...

Dave V. in NC

*sorry, Ed, to trample on your thread...old memory just popped up...

My toughest time with the 02 is pumping gas...always takes a while with the admiration conversation. We don't mind tho, do we:-)

Edited by auggiemize

I was driving down the Fairfax County parkway about 2 weeks ago and came up on what appeared to be a Middle age couple in a new i3.  I slowed down (!) as I went by them, waved and they waved back.   Yesterday, I got a wave and thumbs up from a modified E30 owner.  Sometimes I bump the horn button & wave when I see another classic car owner.  Great to be out giving them the needed exercise rather than just deteriorating in the garage.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Did you ever meet any car person that didn't like a 2002?

I'd have to say that the most unresponsive people that see my car, are (the majority of) owners of brand new BMWs.    They (I admit I'm generalizing) are a different breed.  They own a BMW for a different reason.  Prestige.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I'd have to say that the most unresponsive people that see my car, are (the majority of) owners of brand new BMWs.    They (generalizing) are a different breed.  They own a BMW for a different reason.  Prestige  Great loans.

Kind of fixed that for you.  My wife drives a 2011 E90 and recently became an associate CCA member.  She can spot a 2002 very well while out on the road.

I'm surprised at the number of relatively young owners of new high end BMW's  (M6, M3, M4, etc).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Did you ever meet any car person that didn't like a 2002?

I'd have to say that the most unresponsive people that see my car, are (the majority of) owners of brand new BMWs.    They (I admit I'm generalizing) are a different breed.  They own a BMW for a different reason.  Prestige.

73 Inka Tii #2762958