• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Respect

zinz

+1 PaulT.

SoCal boneheads ..... I've only had 1 non-2002 BMW driver ever wave or say HI.  They be a snooty bunch ..... or simply uneducated and don't know that they are looking at a BMW ..... and to add some words to PaulT's thought, "..... those people are too self-absorbed to even notice."  

Heck, a couple/three years ago after the Woodley Park gathering I was zooming east on the 210 in Pasadena and some 2002 dude when zipping by and never even slowed down or nothin'.  Maybe our 2002's are more invisible than we think.

Cheers,

Carl

So not true!

Agreed. Alfa guys love em'. I mean, liking their GTV's more BUT. They seem to appreciate them.

I was at a vintage muscle car show in the 02 and I parked next to an old GTV. Guy was ecstatic he wasn't the only euro car crashing the party :)

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

"I don't have a piece of sh*t so I have to envy yours!" - Ferris Bueller

I'd have to say that the most unresponsive people that see my car, are (the majority of) owners of brand new BMWs.    They (generalizing) are a different breed.  They own a BMW for a different reason.  Prestige.

I think the camaraderie of the original '02 crowd was that they knew and shared a secret not yet understood by the general driving population yet. '02s, and BMWs in general were the underdog in the late 60's into the late 70s, before the 3 series came along and changed everything.... I can't speak for the original '02 owners of the 60s and 70s, but that's the vibe I got when reading up on them the last 7 years. (owner for the last 5).... Nothing against current BMW owners, but to me, I'm guessing the majority of owners buy the prestige. I think all recent BMWs look like camrys/avalons/rav4s.... There's no distinction between any makes these days...

- The big print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Beautiful sunny day today in the PNW, I was driving home with the windows down and got a loud shout out as I was stopped at a light. It took me a minute to figure out he was hollering at my car, I kept looking around for a pretty girl. I was a little slow on the uptake.

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

I think the camaraderie of the original '02 crowd was that they knew and shared a secret not yet understood by the general driving population yet. '02s, and BMWs in general were the underdog in the late 60's into the late 70s, before the 3 series came along and changed everything.... I can't speak for the original '02 owners of the 60s and 70s, but that's the vibe I got when reading up on them the last 7 years. (owner for the last 5).... Nothing against current BMW owners, but to me, I'm guessing the majority of owners buy the prestige. I think all recent BMWs look like camrys/avalons/rav4s.... There's no distinction between any makes these days...

Not the way I remember it. There were no BMWs on the road before the '02. BMW was the cool new kid on the block. I remember a lot of people thinking it was a British car, "British Motor Works". I remember them becoming popular fast and in the late '70s after production ceased I found more than a few notes on my windshield from people asking if I wanted to sell my car.

Hmmm....

I get just as many thumbs up driving my '75 2002 as my '07 Audi RS4.

No matter which one I am driving, my smile coudn't get any larger.

I love ice cream, although these cars are very different, they are two awesome Ice-cold flavors that I get to choose.

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

Not the way I remember it. There were no BMWs on the road before the '02. BMW was the cool new kid on the block. I remember a lot of people thinking it was a British car, "British Motor Works". I remember them becoming popular fast and in the late '70s after production ceased I found more than a few notes on my windshield from people asking if I wanted to sell my car.

Yes, that's also what I remember -- BMWs, at least in the states, didn't really become status symbols until the 320i.  My dad could by a 2002 in 1970 on a small teacher's salary.  When we took it into a Mercedes/BMW dealership for repairs, it was clear that the Mercedes was on another level status-wise.  I think it was only in the late '70's and '80s that BMW and Mercedes became "equivalent" marques.

hnichols

Today some fella' in a black E9x M3 convertible was next to me at a light on my way to school. He kept looking at me funny trying to figure out what the hell I was driving I think... He was the total stereotypical "new BMW driver". Fancy polo shirt, spiked hair and a bluetooth phone thing in his ear talking with the top down. Thought that was kinda' funny. 

That being said I would trade my 02 for his M3 in a heart beat... 

only to sell it and buy a Tii...

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

"I don't have a piece of sh*t so I have to envy yours!" - Ferris Bueller