• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Box Flare Installation Tips

maikell77

I have a very very very rusty 1969 2002 that I have slowly exorcizing the rust demons from.  As it stands right now I've rebuilt the front cowl, the floors....all of them, the quarter glass window seals, and no tackling the rocker and lower quarter panel.  I plan to have this car as a streetable track toy.  The plan is to go with the box flares. 

I wanted to see if anyone had pictures of how they "tubbed" the rear wheel arches.  Mine are rusty so they need work no matter what.

I would like to get started on the tubbing before the fenders get ordered off.  My time is cheap the parts aren't.  Just trying to stay busy and hopefully at some point stop repairing rust.

When I did my flared 02 many years ago...(sorry, no pics. This was pre-digital)

We basically cut the outer skin of the fender until it was even with the top of the wheel well. Almost all the way up to the waist trim line. The next step was to cut notches in the exposed wheel well and pull the "fingers" up and out to meet the outer body again. This left an exposed lip of over an inch which was easy to weld and gave some protection for the underside of the fiberglass flares. 

We tacked the sheet metal in place and I drove the car like a rat rod for a week to make sure everything cleared. BTW, I was running 225/50-15s on the rear. I don't recall the ET. 

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

• 4 weeks later...

Well the shipment with fender just arrived! Still working through cutting out the wheel wells.  I ended up going a different route due to previous work and rust.  I basically cut the inner wheel well about 1" outside of the seam (inner meeting outer inner wheel well).  Then welded in new metal from that flat surface to the outer skin.

The rears look like they will fit up real well.  I think most of my time will be spent making the front fit near the headlight buckets.  Any tips there?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7xvvqWWpSFlZnB3QnIwVThjdlU/view?usp=sharing

Couldn't resist mocking it up.

Is that a box flare in the rear and pig cheek up front?

I had trouble getting the fronts to line up with my front nose panel down near the rear valance. I ended up using some body filler to get it close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Supposed to be Box flares on both, they do have the cut outs for the stock bumpers.  It's a long road yet, I'm just beyond thrilled to do something other than rust repair.  (all the floors, front cowl, back window corners, front lower quarters, under the rear vent windows, both sides, passenger rocker)

• Alpina

Well the shipment with fender just arrived! Still working through cutting out the wheel wells. I ended up going a different route due to previous work and rust. I basically cut the inner wheel well about 1" outside of the seam (inner meeting outer inner wheel well). Then welded in new metal from that flat surface to the outer skin.

The rears look like they will fit up real well. I think most of my time will be spent making the front fit near the headlight buckets. Any tips there?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7xvvqWWpSFlZnB3QnIwVThjdlU/view?usp=sharing

Couldn't resist mocking it up.

If the flares in the picture are yours, then they sent you mismatched flares- bubble(pig cheeks)front and square(boxed) rears!

post-9244-0-30002100-1446844111_thumb.jp

post-9244-0-93282100-1446844140_thumb.jp

post-9244-0-30002100-1446844111_thumb.jp

post-9244-0-93282100-1446844140_thumb.jp

Edited by MOJOJOY

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.instagram.com/mojojoy

1968 BMW 2002 (Bristol/Granada)

1969 BMW 2000 NK (Florida)

1971 BMW 2000tii Touring Malaga (Restoring)

Looks like you have the 2" Zender type box flares in the rear as opposed to the 4" Schnitzer type flares like I have (below).

Any idea how wide your front pig cheek flares are? Just curious.

post-32637-0-57420700-1446871898_thumb.j

post-32637-0-27042300-1446871939_thumb.j

post-32637-0-57420700-1446871898_thumb.j

post-32637-0-27042300-1446871939_thumb.j

Edited by boxy02

Mike

74 2002