• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Jigsaw Puzzle - The Golf Car

ldsbeaker

Sigh.

I am a black hole for BMWs lately.

VIN: 2579059

Manuf date: Nov 10, 1971

Paint: 070 Golf

It's got some rust, but it's pretty okay. Guess I'll find out as I do a more in depth inspection. It's already stripped, I just have to put this puzzle back together... Easy, right?

(Ran before they put all the pieces back in the box...)

p.s. That's the engine underneath the blanket behind the car...

Would love to have her back together by her Birthday... which also happens to be my "other" birthday.

Semper Fidelis!

21249841294_7e4c85e855_b.jpgUntitled by ldsbeaker, on Flickr

Edited by ldsbeaker

Will start with a cleaning and general sorting of the engine.

Upper/Lower gasket set (not HG at this moment), new sensors, water pump, tstat, probably a b35 starter, the alternator is an 80A reman, and a rebuild of the Weber.

We'll see how things look after I start taking covers off (cam, timing chain/guides, sprockets, yadda yadda)

There is a set of headers that I'm hoping are Stahls in the car...

The car ran before the PO decided he wanted to take the engine out to make room for a K20 swap...

He also already clearanced 3/4 of the fenders for fender flares, so I guess I'm getting some IE turbo flares.

Local joint quoted $40-55 for a re-surface of the flywheel, no reason not to do it at this point.

Edited by ldsbeaker

Day Two:

Started teardown. Got the carbie off, looked under the valve cover, and started taking xx years of gunk off.

I'll have to talk to the PO and see if he did ANY maintenance to the car, it looks like a lot of the sealant type surfaces are prepared pretty well and doing their job.

Hate to tear it apart, but the engine is out, I'm already cleaning, may as well go whole hog (minus bearings and HG) 

I'm really surprised at the utter LACK of wires. There are a few sensors that need wires, and the dizzy w/wires is MIA at the moment... But other than that, it's a positive cable, some cables for the starter and alternator, and that's it! Way to go M10!

The cam looks okay, but I haven't turned it over to inspect all of the lobes. No wear detected on first look.

Carb look pretty doggone clean, just needs a rebuild, as the gaskets are all looking pretty crispy.

Found a really terrific rebuild DIY for the Weber DGV 32/36 here:

http://www.mk3supra.org/topic/561-guide-rebuilding-a-weber-3236-dgav-carb

Lots of pics, and a pretty good description of all the pieces. I just hope I can find a decent enough rebuild kit to update the whole carb.

Other than that, It looks like I have some vacuum ports to cap in a cleaner fashion. This car may have had an air pump eons ago.

Have to start a shopping list, and maybe today I can take the intake and front covers off.

22012578632_414d582b49_c.jpg

21836713040_3da6f98707_c.jpg

21998673676_5f41a665eb_c.jpg

21837017688_b3bc956989_c.jpg

21403722213_1e8a6700d8_c.jpg

Edited by ldsbeaker

Not much time today. Need to put engine at TDC. Also need to bring the big socket for the crank pulley.

22015257042_4f654f7ef3_c_d.jpg

Everything looks good so far. Pretty excited to see how the chain guides are...

Edited by ldsbeaker

Taking the crank pulley off took longer to set up than to actually loosen it. I gave the button a quick short squeeze and she broke loose, easy as pie.

It does help to have the right tools... (30mm socket, 18v cordless impact, and a flywheel holding tool.)

22041459915_a261e4fc3d_c.jpg

21418650974_61e0aaac44_c.jpg

Cam sprocket has some pretty damn sharp teeth... The other two look fine. Tensioner rail has NO WEAR whatsoever. Guide is burnt oil color, so will be replaced. Oddly, the HG has a section that goes AROUND the timing chain and between upper/lower covers. Absent. UA, burn him.

21422417973_6f9a85a531_c_d.jpg

22017367696_83dc3fb3f0_c_d.jpg

21855697398_fc89d05eb4_c_d.jpg

I have to take the dizzy mount off, drain oil pan, then pull pan...

Then commence to Field Day.

Edited by ldsbeaker