• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kinda Cool...My '72 tii to be on Seinfeld's "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee."

COOP

I loved the episode! The car was beautiful and Jerry really seemed to enjoy it. I too didn't find the backseat "3rd wheel" to be funny or add anything to the show. The part I didn't like was when my wife turned to me and asked "why doesn't yours look that good" :huh:

68' 2002, GRANADA RED

88' 325es, RED (previous car)

77' 320i, SIERRA BEIGE (previous car)

www.68roundie.blogspot.com

I loved the episode! The car was beautiful and Jerry really seemed to enjoy it. I too didn't find the backseat "3rd wheel" to be funny or add anything to the show. The part I didn't like was when my wife turned to me and asked "why doesn't yours look that good" :huh:

That's when you discuss restoration as part of the overall household budget. You missed your opportunity! :)

I need to watch it tonight. Maybe I'll get the same question.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

I loved it!  The only time I cringed when watching the show was when Jerry let one of the comedians drive the car and he didn't know how to drive a stick and he grinded the gears and rode the clutch really really bad...It was Stephen Colbert and he was driving a Morgan...poor car..lol

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I liked the episode for the car only...too bad the talent wasn't as good as the car.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Well, look at the bright side. Perhaps partially what allowed the car to get such a healthy chunk of the episode was that the guests left such a void of interesting screen time to be filled. The guy in the back seat, while I'm sure a perfectly nice fellow, was just a waste of pixels. What works so well about many of the other episodes is Jerry and his guest really connecting on a personal level, and having the third wheel just didn't lend itself to that.

Anyways, I don't mean to sound ungrateful as I'm actually thrilled. I'm just a stickler for the details, which I guess is why the car looks a certain way. I think the show was generally terrific and can only be a positive event for the image of our cars and of course, their value (oh no, not that!).

Coop, the fact you are a such a stickler for the details is what makes your car such a stellar vehicle. So amazingly well done, my friend. So thrilled for you.

Oh, and to put this to rest:

http://visual.merriam-webster.com/pronunciation.php?id=earth/geography/configuration-continents/27516&title=Lake+Baikal

Edited by 1972_Targa

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

Well, look at the bright side. Perhaps partially what allowed the car to get such a healthy chunk of the episode was that the guests left such a void of interesting screen time to be filled. The guy in the back seat, while I'm sure a perfectly nice fellow, was just a waste of pixels. What works so well about many of the other episodes is Jerry and his guest really connecting on a personal level, and having the third wheel just didn't lend itself to that.

Chuck actually was a producer for Arrested Development and has done numerous other things behind the scenes, so let's not be too hard on him for just this.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0552092/

The only shame is that their names aren't as recognizable as most of the other guests, so when folks look through the episode listing, they will be less likely to click on it or see the 2002.

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Coop:

Your car looked stellar in the driving shots, but at the end of the clip, when they were saying goodbye, it looked like the knee trim on the passenger door had slipped back about an inch and was riding up on the trim on the rear quarter panel.  I hope their wasn't any damage to the paint or trim in that area.

Your car was the star in this episode.

Best,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

...when they were saying goodbye, it looked like the knee trim on the passenger door had slipped back about an inch and was riding up on the trim on the rear quarter panel.  I hope their wasn't any damage to the paint or trim in that area.

Trim appears that it might be bent a bit at the trailing end.  Jerry's good for it!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Excellent sleuth work Watson! You guys never fail to amaze and impress me!

The car did indeed come back with that lower piece of trim partially detached and bent. The show paid for it to be replaced which I would of course expect. Needless to say, I wasn't too impressed.

Because the car came back quite dusty and with lots of very fine, surface scratches (the obvious result of some doofus dusting without quick detail spray, grrr), the show also agreed to pay (with my, er, suggestion) for a $2,300 complete color sanding (needed anyways) and incredible detailing (including undercarriage, engine bay, fender wells, etc) by Tim McNair of GP Concours Preparation (gpconcours.com). This guy is THE BEST and prepares multi-million dollar cars for kajillionnaires at Pebble Beach, Amelia Island and Villa D'este, etc. He's also a really nice guy by the way.

Funny, after I got the car back, several car collectors told me that I was NUTS to have loaned my car to any type of TV/Film production without being there personally to shepherd it through the process. They also shared some alarming horror stories with me and concluded that "these people don't care about anyones' cars, as long as they get their shot." I guess I got relatively lucky...

All in all, I'm still glad that I did it...Today, the car looks better than ever, post-detail and I have a great feather-in-the-cap for the '72 Baikal tii.

COOP

Coop, the fact you are a such a stickler for the details is what makes your car such a stellar vehicle. So amazingly well done, my friend. So thrilled for you.

Thank you so much!! I hope to see you soon...

BTW, thanks for clearing up the correct pronunciation of "Baikal!" I recall being horrified last year by a "walk-around" sales pitch video by "The Hack Mechanic" when he referred to another tii as the dreaded "Bake-All" Blue...

COOP

Edited by COOP

wow.  Yeah - it's cool to know that your car was in a show, but still - I couldn't do it.  Just from personal experience, I know that most people don't treat my stuff like I would like it treated.  Same reason I don't feel comfortable driving other people's cars - I don't know if I'm treating it as nice as they would like it treated.

In the end, this worked out OK for you though, but it sounds like it wasn't hassle free.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Just from personal experience, I know that most people don't treat my stuff like I would like it treated.  Same reason I don't feel comfortable driving other people's cars - I don't know if I'm treating it as nice as they would like it treated.

I reluctantly allowed an in-law park his super-high value, concourse-quality car in my garage while he was out of town.  I had helped with some of the mechanicals, but knowing his passion for the car, it sat under a tarp surrounded by rubber boat fenders.  He begged me to pick him up at the airport using the car.  I wouldn't for much the same reason you mentioned.    I often feel the same way about motobikes after having one recently returned with a bent frame, which was perfectly straight when it left my garage.  (But it was clean!)  :huh:

Edited by avoirdupois

Gorgeous car, COOP! I watched the episode twice over the last couple nights, as well as quite a few other episodes. I think I'm hooked on the show now.

Even if it required a little convincing, good to hear they made it right where damage was done.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Gorgeous car, COOP! I watched the episode twice over the last couple nights, as well as quite a few other episodes. I think I'm hooked on the show now.

Even if it required a little convincing, good to hear they made it right where damage was done.

Thank you!  Appreciate the compliment...

Yeah, they absolutely made it right, which is all that I can really ask for.  Also, I have to take some of the personal accountability (admittedly, a very un-American concept) for agreeing to lend the car to a production...At least it came back without permanent scratches/dents or a smoking clutch.

I sooo wish that the tii had been paired with Will Ferrell or Sebastian Manascalco (both upcoming episodes)...those guys are hilarious! I saw SM live last year and my face hurt for hours after from laughing so hard. 

I'd give my car's episode an "A" for car content and a "D" for comedy/character content.  I think the only time that I laughed was when JS ridiculed Madigan for her ignorance about the car's country of origin.

COOP