• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

value of this ‘76 2002

fs88

Need some advice about this. Is this car worth $7500? mileage: currently read 25k. most likely is 100k over.

- paint is good, original color, newer paint job, with some small dents

- seats are original and in good shape

- car runs and drives great

- trans shifts smooth. the clutch is great

- engine is great and very strong.

- no oil leak

- no rust under the car, clean shock towers, also clean under the car

- the car has clean title

I would also have to pay for Smog (in CA) and registration (have not been renewed since May of this year). I read something about cars 1976 or newer currently still requires smog test (every two years) unless they would pass a new bill to allow waiving the test if car is 30+ yrs. http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/23/c...car-smog-bill/

post-49416-0-98738400-1444062124_thumb.j

post-49416-0-97622700-1444062150_thumb.j

post-49416-0-53764400-1444062172_thumb.j

post-49416-0-58094200-1444062189_thumb.j

post-49416-0-16331000-1444062210_thumb.j

Have you taken a magnet to the rockers and lower frt. fenders? The P/S looks a lil wavey ( it maybe the lighting) If that checks out, looks like you may have found a good one.

forgive my ignorance.. what can a magnet do? what results should i be looking for?

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

I maybe wrong but looking at the engine that has all the smog stuff missing so zero chance on getting it smogged .I think even when all the equipment is present it's a major ordeal .It has a Weber carb, all the hoses missing on the doohickeys on the firewall ( technical term ;) )  cam cover breather to atmosphere etc etc etc.

Edited by LimeySteve

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

anyone in CA? is it difficult to pass smog test? i heard from a few folks that the emission regulations are getting tougher. what budget should i consider to pass?

I just bought a 76 and spent $1300 and 1 week on a brand new Weber 38/38 DGAS and valve job and a good mechanic who got it through smog. YMMV, but it is possible despite what people will tell you as long as all the emissions gear is there!

Also, that bill about extending the smog waiver to 76 died in committee :( 

just do yourself a favor and stay away from the 76's, you'll be glad you did.

any leads for another car in SoCal? my budget is $7000.

"tree fiddy (350)"...hahaa!!

I just bought a 76 and spent $1300 and 1 week on a brand new Weber 38/38 DGAS and valve job and a good mechanic who got it through smog. YMMV, but it is possible despite what people will tell you as long as all the emissions gear is there!

Also, that bill about extending the smog waiver to 76 died in committee :(

California has MOST of the remaining '02s by my estimation. And even if that's not true, California certainly has the most low-rust '02s. You've got 11 model years to choose from: 1966 through 1976. ONLY 1976 is subject to CA emissions testing. That leaves 10 model years to choose from, without running up against the biannual emissions testing. My gut tells me you better be getting one hell of a deal to justify buying a 1976 as a California resident!

Good luck with your shopping,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

California has MOST of the remaining '02s by my estimation. And even if that's not true, California certainly has the most low-rust '02s. You've got 11 model years to choose from: 1966 through 1976. ONLY 1976 is subject to CA emissions testing. That leaves 10 model years to choos from, without running up against the biannual emissions testing. My gut tells me you better be getting one hell of a deal to justify buying a 1976 as a California resident!

Steve

California has MOST of the remaining '02s by my estimation. And even if that's not true, California certainly has the most low-rust '02s. You've got 11 model years to choose from: 1966 through 1976. ONLY 1976 is subject to CA emissions testing. That leaves 10 model years to choos from, without running up against the biannual emissions testing. My gut tells me you better be getting one hell of a deal to justify buying a 1976 as a California resident!

Steve

thanks buddy! btw, I am also looking at E30. Would it be a better bang for my buck instead of 2002? I hope to stay under budget of $7000. i am looking for a weekend cruiser and to learn more about the older bmw, tho I am not mechanically inclined as I would like to be