• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

value of this ‘76 2002

fs88

The responsibility of smogging a car that changes hands in CA is on the seller, not the buyer. If he can get it to pass smog it might be worth purchasing. The primary residence of the car can be switched to a non smog county. There is a form for this at the DMV. Contrary to popular belief, the every other year emission control check is by County and not a State law. Any address will work, even a made up one. They will not check. The computer issues a demand of a smog certificate by the zip code of the registered vehicle. There is a box to check on the form "do you wish to keep your mailing address the same?", check this box to keep getting your renewal letter from the DMV. The only draw back is: when you sell the car it will require a smog check. The two year emission control test is NOT about clean air. It is about money. If you are a AAA member, your local office will be happy to file the change of residence form for you to avoid the dreaded DMV line. Most people are skeptical of this information but it's absolutely true. We need to stop getting ripped off.

e30 vs 02 is apples vs oranges....steak vs lobster

try to decide what u really want first...then go find it. Ive owned both........both are great.....but quite quite  different.

right now..I believe u can get more e30 than 02 for 7k....but its close...

Edited by jrkoupe

e30 vs 02 is apples vs oranges....steak vs lobster

try to decide what u really want first...then go find it. Ive owned both........both are great.....but quite quite different.

thanks man...i am thinking more from the budget side - $7000, but like to stay around $5000 with some spare cash for maintenace/tune..would that be realistic? sorry to be ignorant...new to the scene...wanna weekend cruiser give my 1er daily a break

post-49416-14440815883264_thumb.jpg

post-49416-14440816098266_thumb.jpg

post-49416-144408162068_thumb.jpg

The responsibility of smogging a car that changes hands in CA is on the seller, not the buyer. If he can get it to pass smog it might be worth purchasing. The primary residence of the car can be switched to a non smog county. There is a form for this at the DMV. Contrary to popular belief, the every other year emission control check is by County and not a State law. Any address will work, even a made up one. They will not check. The computer issues a demand of a smog certificate by the zip code of the registered vehicle. There is a box to check on the form "do you wish to keep your mailing address the same?", check this box to keep getting your renewal letter from the DMV. The only draw back is: when you sell the car it will require a smog check. The two year emission control test is NOT about clean air. It is about money. If you are a AAA member, your local office will be happy to file the change of residence form for you to avoid the dreaded DMV line. Most people are skeptical of this information but it's absolutely true. We need to stop getting ripped off.

thanks for the info...sounds like this seller is putting the responsiblity on buyer...i probably would pass unless he is willing to take that on...even so, it would be harder for me to get rid of down the road (unless new bills get pass, and from what I gather, it is not likely). i will continue to shop around more.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

As someone who recently resurrected a '76 2002, I had to put my "02 cents" in. My car came back to life in Oct of '13, I had to smog it to get it on the road here in California. It took 2 trips to the smog inspection station, but my mechanic was able to "adjust it down" to get it to pass and then put it back to normal running condition. Well, my tags are due in May, so because I was "lucky" enough to hit it just right in its biennial cycle... I had to re-smog it again 6 months later! Went through the same 2 trips to my mechanic again and got it to pass.

I have read previous comments on the site, such as "well the rules are there for a reason to give us cleaner air, blah, blah, blah, etc".. but like the member said above, it is all about the money.

If you really think about it, how many 1976 cars of ANY model are still being used daily or occasionally in California? I will bet it is not a very high number.

But here is the main reason I had to comment. This site is such a great place for information and it never ceases to amaze me.

I did not know about the emission control check varying by county. That is great information.

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

You may have some considerable leverage on the price based on the Sellers responsibility to provide a smog certificate as a condition of the sale.  From the pictures provided it looks like the magnetic valves are still present on the firewall but the thermal reactor plumbing to the EGR and smog pump is missing.  You will also need to secure an original air cleaner canister and winter/summer box to pass the visual inspection.  You have some options with this car...

1. Get the seller to smog it as a condition of the sale

2. Get the seller to reduce the price significantly (1/2 of what he is asking) and smog it yourself, (I have all the missing pieces)

3. Punt on this car and find a 75 or earlier car in your budget

I have passed on a number of 1976's just to avoid the issues with smog in CA and would recommend #3.

Good Luck,

Mark92131

post-33686-0-25684600-1444085875.jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I've got VW karmann ghia...beautiful car, but not a 2002.  I like VW but they are a very different feel than the 02.   If you haven't, drive them and compare...see what makes you smile.  

The only car that is more (sometimes) to drive than the 2002 is my 99 miata.  I have a 1983 320i and it is a very different car from the 2002...more modern, but you can tell they are from the same DNA.

I say take your time and find a 2002.

Good luck.

Light is seriously underrated.