• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 2002tii #2762084. Seven years in the making.

Delia

Another "Best in Class" from big D's handy work!

If I had 7 years and lots of money I'd have you do my turbo

Yeeeaaahhh...Just to be clear, there's no such thing as a "7-year restoration" of a BMW 2002 (not to be confused with a 7-year restoration "project"). These are not one-off Bugattis or coach-built, French dreammobiles destined for the lawns of Pebble Beach.

You CAN, however, have a "7-year endless procrastination" OR a "7-year financial disagreement" OR a "7-year personal budgetary crisis" OR just a "7-year totally incompetent clusterfuck."

I'm really not sure which of these categories (or combination of these categories) this one fell under...but I will say that a "7-year anything" wouldn't work for this '72 tii owner under any conceivable, externally imposed circumstances.

The bare-shell, rotisserie, cosmetic restoration of my tii (with plenty of rust repair and metal/glass/chrome/rubber replacement) was completed by Vantage Motors in Stamford, CT in 1-year to show-winning standards in 1999-2000. Fifteen years (and 4K miles) later from 11/14-7/15, JP and Delia performed a total mechanical restoration of the vehicle (EVERYTHING removed from the car and bead-blasted, refinished, replated, rebuilt or replaced to factory-fresh standards....they knocked that job off in 9-months, albeit with continual nagging and unexpected visits from me every few days.

BTW, I've seen this Polaris car up close from every angle and I must give props to JP Cadoux and Delia for another fabulous job well-done. This car is spectacular.

COOP

Edited by COOP

More inspiration! Time to get away from this monitor and knock out some rust..............There is not a body line on these cars that I do not like, I guess that is why mine keeps calling me back to the garage.

Yeeeaaahhh...Just to be clear, there's no such thing as a "7-year restoration" of a BMW 2002 (not to be confused with a 7-year restoration "project"). These are not one-off Bugattis or coach-built, French dreammobiles destined for the lawns of Pebble Beach.

You CAN, however, have a "7-year endless procrastination" OR a "7-year financial disagreement" OR a "7-year personal budgetary crisis" OR just a "7-year totally incompetent clusterfuck."

I'm really not sure which of these categories (or combination of these categories) this one fell under...but I will say that a "7-year anything" wouldn't work for this '72 tii owner under any conceivable, externally imposed circumstances.

The bare-shell, rotisserie, cosmetic restoration of my tii (with plenty of rust repair and metal/glass/chrome/rubber replacement) was completed by Vantage Motors in Stamford, CT in 1-year to show-winning standards in 1999-2000. Fifteen years (and 4K miles) later from 11/14-7/15, JP and Delia performed a total mechanical restoration of the vehicle (EVERYTHING removed from the car and bead-blasted, refinished, replated, rebuilt or replaced to factory-fresh standards....they knocked that job off in 9-months, albeit with continual nagging and unexpected visits from me every few days.

BTW, I've seen this Polaris car up close from every angle and I must give props to JP Cadoux and Delia for another fabulous job well-done. This car is spectacular.

COOP

Funny.  Yes there is actually.  Procrastination - maybe (I get sick of working on the effing thing sometimes); Financial disagreement - nope; Personal Budgetary Crisis - not really, but sort of <they don't make parts for my car so sh^t cost a ton of money to have made>...; Incompetent Clusterfuck - nope.  I am going on year 14 for my car, I will spare the story (stories) though there are many.  Of course, with my car I can't call "blunt" or "max" or one of the others and get ANYTHING for it other than trim, so it all has to be made or remade, fabricated etc., and only few I trust to do that and still fewer capable of actually executing.  I decided that when I acquired the car I would do as much myself so long as it could be done at a very high standard, but that takes time and money - especially when you put two kids through college simultaneously, live in the SF Bay area, endure an effed up economy for four years....bla, bla, bla.  Your right, assuming you have a "2oo2", it should never take that long to drive your car to someone's shop and then write them checks to do the work.  My car is going off for bodywork and paint in the next couple of weeks (by someone else......)

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com