• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firing order indicator on distributor

flagoworld

The distributor needs be installed initially so that #1 fires at TDC, when #1 cyl is in the firing position( both valves closed/cam lobes up). So the rotor needs be under #1 on the cap, since it only goes on in one place. The distributor can basically be turned 360 deg, and still function, but is designed so wires and vacuum line exit towards firewall - give or take. So you need to use trial and error to drop dist. into place so that rotor points more or less towards coil, then move body around to get #1 wire over rotor tip. If that lines up with notch, fine. That should get engine started, at which point you set point gap/dwell and then do timing with timing light.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I installed a stock vacuum advance distributor in my car, I initially put the vac pod on the carb side.

That position put the points at the back, towards the firewall, making it difficult to adjust them.

I pulled the distributor again and rotated it so the pod is on the opposite side, which makes the points much more accessible.

Kingsborne makes nice plug wires.  You can test yours by attaching your timing light to each one and watching the light for misses.  I had a new set of Bremi wires that came with two bad ones.  I was able to find the problem using my light.

Oh this is fun, guys! I just received my new wires and put them on - no change. Decided that there was nowhere else to look but the distributor... I put 'er in TDC and checked the point gap... 0.024!!!! Oops. So, I adjusted the point gap as best I could to .016 and VOILA! She runs much, much smoother.

Now I could do the timing... Whoops! It appeared to have been advanced by 30°... Something fishy, because I'm pretty sure that rotor was lined up with cyl1 wire at TDC. So, I retarded the ignition down to the 0° mark. RPMs dropped a little and engine sounded lower pitched. Still running.

I tried giving her a little gas, and every time I punch the gas a little she starts to stall. This is a symptom I have not really looked into before. Can anyone think of anything obvious?

'74 Verona

Well, here's what I am trying to do:

1.) Disconnect vacuum line and plug hole in carb - attached it to a vacuum gauge.

2.) Set my timing at ~TDC mark

3.) Advance timing until it runs smoother

4.) Attempt to advance to ball on flywheel

Not sure if it's because I can't see the ball on the flywheel or if I am unable to advance it far enough. Before I can see it, it starts running like crap and misfiring

I was doing this at around 1100RPM... There's not enough idle screw to get it up to 1400, unfortunately, so I figured as the timing advanced to ideal it would speed up a bit. Maybe the idle screw is just extra short.

Last thing, even when I advance it as far as I can while it still runs smooth, pressing gas causes it to want to stall. Do you think my point gap is too small now or something?

'74 Verona

Meh, don't bother with a vacuum gauge there -- just leave that port open for the time being.

That said, I'd advance the timing with the car off, to a point where you hear the motor labor when being cranked, and then retard it until it cranks smoothly while starting. Drive it under load. if it pings retard it some more.

...But I'm crude :)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.