• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ultrabox 02

DeanR32

Evening all

Does anyone know anything about the body kit (and in particular the wide arches) on this car? I would love the big bubble arches on my 02, but I'm having trouble finding out anything about the car, especially through their site

Cheers in advance

I'm almost certain they custom built those flares. I would ask around the Japanese Nostalgia website for clues. The flares look similar to the ones I've seen on old Datsuns, Toyotas, and so on.

Also, there is a BMW 2002 Thailand page on Facebook. That guy has very similar flares on one of his 02s. Try sending him a msg. His name is Ram Masing.

https://www.facebook.com/ram.masing/posts/887788914642718

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jmr_1602

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

I had to google it... and to me it looks like they got something for a truck out of the of the JC Whitney catalog:

http://www.stancenation.com/2015/06/22/ultra-box-hiroshima-hirotaka-fujiwaras-bmw-2002-tii/

The best part of the car to me is that you have a place to grill hamburgers right over the exhaust headers, I suppose.

I don't think they understand that the little rubber disc on the turn signal stalk is supposed to go inside the plastic trim for the column.

What's the function of mounting the muffler behind the car? :wacko:

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Meh it's nicely executed and maybe I am missing a gene or something but there are a few things I don't understand about the car.

Why does it have a tow point attached to the strut top to poke through the bonnet. Surely low down, in line with the hub height would be better.

The grill on the exhaust manifold - all of the heat into the plug wires with none of the convenient maintenance.

To me function is beautiful and there are too many things about that car that are all about 'form' and function is secondary.

Oh, and to describe that wing as 'understated' is ridiculous, though I blame the journalist for that one.

As the French say:vive la différence

Edited by Simeon

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Hee hee hee- 

What you wanted was a heat shield from an E21.

What you got was the grille from a barbecue.

Even Eli thinks that's funny.

And I bet it drifts real good, whut wit all that extra rear stants....

things like the bodged gauge panel, the retrorod seats, etx, jus' aint for me.  

But then, I do spell it stants....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL