• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 1800ti on Bring A Trailer

jayboogie

I'm surprised no one has responded here yet.  I know there are a couple of NK fans who check in here often.  OK, I'll start.

First, the car looks pretty dry so I think it has a potential to be saved.  If I were to buy it the things that would bug me and need to be fixed sooner rather than later are:

1.  The interior.  Despite what some of the posters over on BAT have said, I think the original interior on these is part of what makes them "cool".  I do think the seats and door panels could be found eventually but shipping is always the hard part with those items.

2.  The engine.  While the current one might be serviceable, for me the whole reason to buy this is because it is an authentic Ti.  The good news for me is I've got most of the Ti bits on the shelf in my garage.  Solex carbs, Ti air filter housing, 6 volt alternator.  So that part could be easy for me.  Sounds like I'm talking myself into bidding :)

3.  The body/paint.  Judging by the photos, there is a lot of work needed to bring this up to a decent standard.  The driver's side especially looks very wavy and a white car that looks that bad in photos probably looks a lot worse in person.

The bottom line, at least in my opinion, is whether it still has the original VIN on the block.  Maybe that's a little picky given what this car is/could be, but worth determining.  It's too bad the seller hasn't answered that question.  I just asked again so we will see if he responds.

Bill 

1973 3.0 CS Nachtblau

1970 2002 Chamonix

1965 1800 Chamonix

Hi Bill and all other NK  Brethren - Rey and HB Chris responded to the BaT  add and of course brought up good points.

I to see this car having lots of "Potential"  obviously depends on the final sales price. But the vertical tail light Ti NKs are desirable. 

Bill sounds like you have the key bits to help this along. Yes the interior is an eyesore and the body looks wavy, Plus what is with the block of wood near the radiator ?BUT...

I know that Rey as door panels and probably what else would be needed. I have some extra TiLux door panels and an air box that was modified for an 02.

I noticed that it did not have the smooth NK valve cover. But the plastic vent drain tray ( is that what it is called?) Is in great shape. which is pretty incredible. 

Who was running 2002 AD when the engine was rebuilt. I am going to guess that it is highly unlikely that it matches. But...???

Just read on BaT where it does not match. That does not help with autenticity. But to me not such a big deal. Keeping it on the road is.

Also see where previous owners are responding to the BaT post. i feel the spoken history of a car is almost more important.

I wish I knew the early history of my car, have emailed with the previous 4 owners ago of my car who rescued it from a Junk yard. 

So... I say buy it and keep it here in the family ! Ha ha   -

Joseph - Driving my 02 to So Cal Vintage. Hope to see you guys there!

Here is Rey's observations from the BaT ad

Nice car. Allot of great bits on this car. Some odds and ends need handling. I’ve never seen the small overriders on the front bumper before. Usually these have the larger US style overriders.
Looks like it’s all there and in good condition. Cast iron distributor, generator, Ti air box mounts, and early thermostat housing are still there. Original core support. The multi gauge has been changed. It should have a clock in the center of the multi gauge.
It also has a later 69-72 steering wheel.
Correct small tachometer in the center of the dash. Sun roof looks like the lower cover is missing. The aftermarket stereo clashes with the nice early dash, but nothing that cannot be swapped out for either an early Blaupunkt Frankfurt with the correct bezel and trim prices or the factory radio delete trim.
Overall a nice example in my opinion…
Other than a little surface rust on the drivers frame rail looks like a nice straight dry example.

Edited by jmon0261

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152

There has been more information posted on BAT today that makes it more clear what the car is and isn't.  The engine is probably a 2002 version that was dropped in as a cheap alternative to having 2002AD source and install correct solex carbs.  Look at my latest post regarding the claim of an engine rebuild by 2002AD.  I see nothing to support that.

I'm reluctant to guess at NK values because I'm new to them.  Ray and Chris know these much better. 

Bill 

1973 3.0 CS Nachtblau

1970 2002 Chamonix

1965 1800 Chamonix

After reading through the posts on BAT and looking at the pics, what we seem to have here is a tired 1800 with a swapped motor. Not that interesting. Yes, it's a Ti VIN and yes, the body may be okay (or not), but otherwise a car that's only worth a very few thousand dollars. Unless the Ti VIN gives it some value apart from its current physical condition. Anyway, the dash is a mess and those door cards are ghastly. A lot of work to bring it back to presentable.

EDIT: Almost forgot to add that like so many other NKs one sees, the winshield washer fluid system has been deleted. (Maybe the pump is hiding somewhere in the engine bay but I bet it's gone too.)

Edited by kiva667

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

well worth saving, but as everyone has said it needs quite a bit of tlc - but it's a Ti, with the unobtanium rear badge still intact, and looks pretty rot free if far from straight. Those over riders belong on an 02, never an NK, regardless of which side of the pond it was delivered. Set of door cards, die those horrible white seats, paint job and carbs and you'd have an appreciating and increasingly rare car. 

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Reading through the BaT comments I was reminded why I do not look at that site very often. Randy who runs BaT is a great guy. Many of the commenters and all the Drama that goes along with the "internet car guys" drives me crazy.

Hopefully a NK enthusiast gets it and treats it right. For a few thousand it is what it is. A tired driver project. But possibilities abound.

Will be interesting to see what it goes for on Tuesday.

Edited by jmon0261

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152

I will be curious to see where it ends.  Three hours to go and $4800 so we will see.  One question I have regards a post by Delia.  She has a period reference that shows polaris cars with "a rich coffee brown with black weave vinyl".  I wonder if she is referring to the dark red/black that is in my chamonix '65 1800.  A search of images on a couple of sites showed that combination with polaris.

post-35304-0-21307200-1446050011_thumb.j

post-35304-0-21307200-1446050011_thumb.j

Bill 

1973 3.0 CS Nachtblau

1970 2002 Chamonix

1965 1800 Chamonix

My 2 cents. $5500 is more than I would have spent on it, but I like the number as a baseline figure for any 1800TI that is in need of a restoration considering I have one in my garage as well.

A lot has already been mentioned by the persons that did a PPI on the car. I checked the VIN of the engine with the buyer early on and already established it's not the original TI engine, that to me is a great factor in the value of the car. Not all M10's are alike as everyone here knows. The absence of the smooth valve cover, the TI Solex setup with the air filter housing (beware, an 02 one is not going to fit) and all the bits that make an engine an 1800 TI will be hard to trace. The interior needs to be replaced. The door cards will not come out good if you repaint them, the seats were reupholstered and would need to be redone completely, most of the upholstery is too loose. I had some reservation about the fuel tank and the fuel pickup, they looked like the 12V one instead of the 6V to me, also the swapping of isntruments in the dash I couldn't match with the fact that there seems to be a 6V battery and alternator installed. Or am I looking at a normal 12V battery that just looks like a 6V one? Regarding the restauration, bring the car to bare metal, I suspect some issues in the trunk as the brown is showing through from underneath the vinyl coverings. Apply the original Polaris paint, TI's look great in Polaris! Replacing all the chrome, trimmings and lights on an TI is $$$ but well worth the investment. If done right, condition 2, this car could be worth up to $30.000.

I would have liked to buy the car myself as I have a lot of spare parts that could easily go on this one and make it better already but the price including shipping was to high for me. In case the new owner reads this, feel free to contact me regarding a replacement interior and other parts, one snag, parts are located in Holland. :D:P

• 6 months later...

I'm interested in your interior if you still have it. I am currently restoring an 1800ti and just need a full interior to complete it. I also need all weather strips (doors and windows) . Email me if you still have the parts. tule714@yahoo.com

posted some pictures of the car

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg