• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

vented front brake upgrade with 13" steel wheels?

ScottCLo
Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

I rebuilt the suspension with a st sway bar and i am absolutely thrilled with how the car is driving. Now I'm getting ready to pull the engine and trans out on my 2002. I plan to rebuild the trans and engine. I plan to do a bit of upgrades to the engine. I have read nothing but good things about the 292 cam grind (that i cant find any real specs for) so i plan use them in conjunction with 9.5:1 pistons and possibly a pair of Solex PHH40 side-drafts, if they fit, i found in my garage that i think are off of a 2002ti or 2000ti, most likely the latter. Anyway, with all this extra power i'm scared i might send myself off a cliff! :lol: So i want to upgrading the brakes before i get into the engine. I am looking into this set up for the...

Front

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-brake-kits/02bbk01.html

Rear

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-brake-kits/02bbk06.html

According to the description for the fronts, it will not work with the stock steel wheels but works on most 13" alloys :(  :( . i recall reading a while back that the Volvo calipers could be made to fit with the steel wheels with no further explanation. I really like the look of the wheels on my car and would be hard pressed to replace them. I was wondering if anyone knew what would have to be done to make the kit work on my car. Im guessing its going to involve a bench grinder of some soot :P. Also if i have to change wheels dose anyone know if the Alpina style wheels made by various companies would work with this setup? Thanks!

SPBPL6u.jpg

I'm not sure what the reason for the stock wheels not being able to be used with the IE kit is. I imagine the calipers rub somewhere. I do have the set up tho, and I run 13x8 wheels. I'm certain the Alpina reps would work. I'm assuming you mean the 15" wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jmr_1602

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

I'm currently in the same situation as OP with my widened steelies. The faces and how they are welded to the barrel is the limiting factor. I haven't found a set of aftermarket calipers that will clear yet. Just stock 1600, 2002, and tii calipers will clear so far. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Since "292" almost always means "Schrick 292" just do an internet search for specs for that.  Schrick has a very nice, current spec sheet that gives you all the usual numbers in mm.

Later stock steelies can usually be made to work with Volvo calipers- but you can't be afraid to ovalize the mounting holes and grind off some of the hanging- out bits of the caliper castings.

The "usually" part is because there are significant variations in the Volvo caliper- some are 'sleeker' than others throughout the years. 

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I'm certain the Alpina reps would work. I'm assuming you mean the 15" wheels.

I was thinking 13" alpina repros but the 15" wheels look good too as long as they fit without modifying the fenders.

Later stock steelies can usually be made to work with Volvo calipers- but you can't be afraid to ovalize the mounting holes and grind off some of the hanging- out bits of the caliper castings.

The "usually" part is because there are significant variations in the Volvo caliper- some are 'sleeker' than others throughout the year

Awesome! If its been done in the past i think i can manage it with a whole shop at my disposal! I have all the parts coming from local wholesale suppliers. If i think it will work i will document what i did to get them in. Thanks!

The "usually" part is because there are significant variations in the Volvo caliper- some are 'sleeker' than others throughout the years. 

t

Toby, the IE kits don't do the slot .... the calipers are redrilled and plugged to reposition the mounting holes so that they already sit in the proper position.

OP, the steel wheels I've tried haven't fit (even with the repositioned caliper) due to the barrel as Ryan mentioned.  BUT I personally haven't tried a late set of steelies. If you're in SoCal you could swing by with the wheel and I could mock your wheel up to find out for certain (and play with spacers possibly).  

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/130228-which-13-inch-wheels-will-work-with-bbks/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/136597-14-inch-nk-steelies-clear-volvo-bbk/

Edited by AceAndrew

Toby, the IE kits don't do the slot .... the calipers are redrilled and plugged to reposition the mounting holes so that they already sit in the proper position.

OP, the steel wheels I've tried haven't fit (even with the repositioned caliper) due to the barrel as Ryan mentioned.  BUT I personally haven't tried a late set of steelies. If you're in SoCal you could swing by with the wheel and I could mock your wheel up to find out for certain (and play with spacers possibly).  

Well i'm not 100% on what wheels i have. They are 13x6 idk if they or early or late wheels or how to tell the difference. I assume the early wheels that the skinny ones with the big chrome caps but.... I may just grab a pair off the 13" Alpina repros. Witch i guess are essentially the same as the e21 "turbine" wheels?  Do you have any clue if those will work?

• Solution

A fairly easy solution to your wheel fitment problem--especially since you like the slotted steel wheel look--is to find a set of E30 steel wheels.  They're 14x6, will easily clear the Volvo calipers and when painted silver, closely resemble the Alpina/Borrani steel wheels but in 14 inch diameter.  Get a set of little Euro center caps and you'll have a nice-looking setup.

cheers

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Well i'm not 100% on what wheels i have. They are 13x6 idk if they or early or late wheels or how to tell the difference. I assume the early wheels that the skinny ones with the big chrome caps but.... I may just grab a pair off the 13" Alpina repros. Witch i guess are essentially the same as the e21 "turbine" wheels?  Do you have any clue if those will work?

Your rims -- the steel rims on the Verona '73 -- are styled steel rims that are either:

1. '02 square taillight rims, 5 x 13, ET26, or

2. e21 rims, 5 1/2 x 13, ET18

If they are the latter, there is a little more wiggle-room for calipers due to the ET18 offset, versus ET26. All of these OEM rims show size (and date) stamped on the face.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

A fairly easy solution to your wheel fitment problem--especially since you like the slotted steel wheel look--is to find a set of E30 steel wheels.  They're 14x6, will easily clear the Volvo calipers and when painted silver, closely resemble the Alpina/Borrani steel wheels but in 14 inch diameter.  Get a set of little Euro center caps and you'll have a nice-looking setup.

cheers

mike

WOW! i haven't seen those wheels on a 2002 before and i really like them! Good tip!

Your rims -- the steel rims on the Verona '73 -- are styled steel rims that are either:

1. '02 square taillight rims, 5 x 13, ET26, or

2. e21 rims, 5 1/2 x 13, ET18

Okay so it looks like i have e21 wheels with the ET18 offset. When you say they have a little more wiggle room dose that mean they might just fit for might fit with a little less grinding and cutting? I might just have to take AceAndrew up on his offer if its the former. Or get a pair of those sexy e30 steelies.

Et is 29

Thank you. I get confused: the early OEM alloys are ET26, the late OEM alloys are ET28, and the early 5x13 (aka, ti or tii) steel rims are allegedly ET27, although the ET isn't published in the parts guide, as it is for the other rims. This gives a range of ET26-ET29 for factory '02 rims!

The 4 1/2x13 steel rims (round taillights other than ti's and tii's) appear to be ET34-ish, based on my measurements, but I've not been able to find a factory ET number.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

WOW! i haven't seen those wheels on a 2002 before and i really like them! Good tip!

Okay so it looks like i have e21 wheels with the ET18 offset. When you say they have a little more wiggle room dose that mean they might just fit for might fit with a little less grinding and cutting? I might just have to take AceAndrew up on his offer if its the former. Or get a pair of those sexy e30 steelies.

Yes, it means that the barrels of the rims are shifted outward -- with respect to the center disc -- by 11 mm versus the '02 styled steel rim (29 mm - 18 mm), which will likely require less grinding of calipers. Who knows? Maybe none.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

The only real bummer about the E30 steelies is that they are narrow- 5 1/2, if I remember correctly.

One of these years I want to re- barrel a set to something silly wide...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL