• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

vented front brake upgrade with 13" steel wheels?

ScottCLo
Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

The only real bummer about the E30 steelies is that they are narrow- 5 1/2, if I remember correctly.

One of these years I want to re- barrel a set to something silly wide...

t

From what i was reading there are 14 x 6 and 14 x 5.5 versions. These are the ones i was looking at to buy. 

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=36%2011%201%20701%20137&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=36111701137-325IX-1991-54678&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-7GxBRCL_Kq6mZSHvdsBEiQA7r8VhLgHFdC9EFH281uy7FYhYdl3MfOp6BuiOrTosLWi8XAaApXT8P8HAQ

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Much cheaper at ECS.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/36_11_1_701_137/ES64594/

I'm tempted by a set but I have enough wheels.

Good tip! They even give free shipping! Now i'm just wondering if the 6" ones will fit under stock fenders. The wheels i'm running now, stick out and they are only 5.5. Maybe i need to find a set of 5.5x14's? I don't know much about wheels though so maybe the offset would make a difference?

Scratch that! If the steel wheels have an offset of 38mm and the ones i'm running are 18mm than they should be 20mm, ignoring the added width, deeper into the wheel wells therefore fitting better under the fenders than my current wheels do.

Edited by zoboomafoo

Scratch that! If the steel wheels have an offset of 38mm and the ones i'm running are 18mm than they should be 20mm, ignoring the added width, deeper into the wheel wells therefore fitting better under the fenders than my current wheels do.

Hmm, that's actually for a 325ix, which uses a much higher offset. I had seen them the other day at that price but just copied/pasted the p/n from the BAV auto link you posted. I guess I was looking at 5.5".

You'd probably need some spacers to get those to clear the strut tube.

Toby is correct that the ones with the proper offset are only 5.5"

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E30-325i-M20_2.5L/Wheels/OEM_Steel/ES64499/

They're discounted too, though.

Edited by bento

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Hmm, that's actually for a 325ix, which uses a much higher offset. I had seen them the other day at that price but just copied/pasted the p/n from the BAV auto link you posted. I guess I was looking at 5.5".

You'd probably need some spacers to get those to clear the strut tube.

Toby is correct that the ones with the proper offset are only 5.5"https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E30-325i-M20_2.5L/Wheels/OEM_Steel/ES64499/

They're discounted too, though.

Oh. Well 5.5 is fine and i will just have to find a pair used if they dont make them anymore. Thanks for the heads up

I've got 13x5.5 et26 alpina R1-440 steelies. I'm setting up wilwood powerlite 120-8729 calipers on e21 vented discs on standard 2002 struts. There is tons of room inside the wheel for these. Like at least 1/4" or more all the way around. They're radial mount, so the caliper mounting brackets can be adjusted radially and axially with shims. I don't know why people think a vented brake system won't fit 13" alpinas. They fit fine in mine. Only problem is you need to make your own caliper brackets. Requires at least limited milling capabilities or farming out the machine work. I would bet the powerlite calipers fit almost any small wheel. -Rojo

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

Did ScottCLo or others find a definitive answer for fitting e21 steel wheels (13 x 5.5" et18) with IE big brake kit on non-tii struts?

The closest answer I saw in this thread (and the forum) from Conserv was "a little more wiggle room" for the et18 steel.

I am in the same boat you were in, Scott. My car needs rotors + pads so it's a good time to upgrade (or not). I want to keep the e21 steel on the car. I also have 13x5.5 borranis as an option, but would prefer the e21 steelies for now.

Surprised no one ever mentions the turbo brakes upgrade (it’s OEM).  I’ll admit it’s pricier now than 20 years ago when done to mine. Much less aftermarket options then.

Turbo hubs/rotors/calipers/back plates et al fits direct on tii struts. Fits 13x5.5 turbo wheels obviously... 

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

34 minutes ago, visionaut said:

Surprised no one ever mentions the turbo brakes upgrade (it’s OEM).  I’ll admit it’s pricier now than 20 years ago when done to mine. Much less aftermarket options then.

Turbo hubs/rotors/calipers/back plates et al fits direct on tii struts. Fits 13x5.5 turbo wheels obviously... 

Tom

The 13x5.5 styled steel turbo rims, of course, are identical to the e21 styled steel rims, both in width and in their offset. That ET18 moves the rim 11mm outward when compared to a standard 13x5 styled steel square taillight rim, which is ET29.

I’ve assumed that a standard 13x5 styled steel rim will not fit over turbo brakes. But, frankly, I don’t really know! Certainly someone here has tried... ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)