• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at New Tires for '76 2002

fwardell

As I've looked around for new tires on my stock wheels, I'm close to settling on Michelin Defender 175/70R13 @ $447.00 out the door. Anyone have experience with them? I considered Michelin XAS tires for the vintage look (with tube!) but @ around $250 each quickly moved on.

1976 2002 Inka

2008 M5 Sapphire Black Metallic, 6-speed

I have the Defenders on, same size. Give me a week or so and I'll let you know my impressions.

Also my fried found them at Costco (for himself!) at a lesser price. You might have a look if you are able.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Another option is the Toyo Extenza in 185/70 13.  Good tire in a better size than 175/70.

Define "better size."

Cheers,

Ray

I have been reading a lot about this lately as I need a set of tires for my car soon as well.

So far as I can tell there are about 4 or 5 choices available right now unless you want to go with no-name Chinese rubber or spend a grand on Michelin X-series.

If you don't drive in the rain or snow much and want a vintage look the Vredestein Sprint Plus is the tire for you (in 165hr13). 

I agree with JohnS the 185/70-13 is closer in size to the stock tire and a better option - there are 2 tires available in that size: the Toyo Extensa and the Falken Sincera (at $38 per -$152 a set of 4).

The Michelin Defender is a great tire and the 175/75 size will work but it will rev slightly higher on the freeway.

For whatever it's worth I'm probably going with the Falken unless people think the Extensa is a significantly better tire.

Mo betta :)

Closer to diameter of the stock 165/80 13 tire

Yeah.

But it's too wide ;-)

Michelin seems not to come in 185/70/13. I like Toyos. I may have been swayed that way if I had researched more...

185/70R13 = 23.2X7.28R13

Diameter = 23.2"
Width = 7.28"
Wheel = 13"
Sidewall = 5.1"
Circumference = 72.8"
Revs/Mile = 869.9

175/70R13 = 22.6X6.89R13

Diameter = 22.6"
Width = 6.89"
Wheel = 13"
Sidewall = 4.82"
Circumference = 71.1"
Revs/Mile = 891

165/80R13 = 23.4X6.5R13

Diameter = 23.4"
Width = 6.5"
Wheel = 13"
Sidewall = 5.2"
Circumference = 73.5"
Revs/Mile = 862.6

Cheers,

Ray

I have a set of 4 Yoko Avid T4 185/70-13 tires for sale.

Overview

AVID T4 - Premium Sport Touring Radial

A sporty feel, true all-season handling and a design conceived for the long run, the AVID T4 is the perfect combination of reliability, durability and performance. An array of technologies reduce the distractions of road noise, yet provide precise handling that makes driving fun.

New tread compound for optimized grip, wear and crack resistance.

High wet performance and noise reduction through "20 degree V-Groove".

74 pitch tread design for low noise and riding comfort.

Cap Compound - Designed for high grip over a wide range of operating temperatures.

Base Compound - Composed of heat-resistant rubber for greater stability, longer wear and quicker steering response.

Buttress Compound - Built into the sidewall to ensure flexibility and protection against cracking.

Contoured Bead Design - AVID T4's Contoured Bead Design enables better tire-to-rim fit for reduced friction, improved handling, increased durability and a smoother ride.

20º V-Groove - Optimum angle allows maximum water drainage without increasing noise.

Service Description 85T

Tire Size P185/70R13

Speed Rating T

UTQG 420 A B

Section Height 23.2046

Section Width 7.289

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

John, how old are those AVID T4 tires?  AFAIK they've been out of production for a number of years--wixh they still made 'em as I had two sets back in the day and loved 'em.  They were H-rated too.  And in fact I have one brand new one in my basement that I'll eventually mount on an extra alloy wheel for a spare--unless someone wants it to complete a set in which case I'll sell it and find another 185/70 for my spare.

cheers

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

You really shouldn't run tires more than about 6 to 8 years old on a car that is actually driven.

Those 9 year old Avids are getting unsafe and you shouldn't be trying to sell them John_in_VA. They need to be recycled and not put on another vehicle.

Edited by Redtail

Yeah.

But it's too wide ;-)

Not if you have 5x13" rims like the later stock steel wheels or the tii alloys.  I can see them being too wide on any rim less than 5" wide.  

I love the old Yokohama AVID T4s.  Great tires.  I've still got a set on my '73 tii.  The Toyo Extenzas come pretty close.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

Is that something like 'subsurface siping' that shows in the grooves?

I'm not sure what that is. 

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold