• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at New Tires for '76 2002

fwardell

I realize this is an old thread, but I bought the Michelin Defenders at Costco. I wanted to drive them for awhile before i commented.

I have had them for a little over 2 months now and really like the handling. They feel really solid in the curves. I would recommend them.

I have them on stock rims and they look good.

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

• 5 months later...

It is time for tires and I have enjoyed reading this thread. Like a lot of folks, I have 175/70 13 tires. I think the 185s would rub. The Michelin Defenders sound like they win the overall thumbs up. Are there any other considerations? Tire Rack is recommending the General Tire AltiMAX RT43. Any experience with those tires?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+(T-Speed+Rated)&partnum=77TR3AMRT43&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I look forward to hearing your experiences.

image.png

'76 Stone Gray 2002

'83 blue R80RT, '83 red R80RT,

'16 Alpine White Xdrive 328d Touring

BMW2002FAQ #502

27 minutes ago, darrinm1 said:

It is time for tires and I have enjoyed reading this thread. Like a lot of folks, I have 175/70 13 tires. I think the 185s would rub. The Michelin Defenders sound like they win the overall thumbs up. Are there any other considerations? Tire Rack is recommending the General Tire AltiMAX RT43. Any experience with those tires?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+(T-Speed+Rated)&partnum=77TR3AMRT43&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I look forward to hearing your experiences.

image.png

I know this will make some people cringe, but try Walmart for the Defenders, cheaper (no shipping charge when delivered to store). I have to give my local Walmart a shout out, not only did they treat my original touring rims like they were their own children, but when they realized they didn't have the correct valve stems, they called the local BMW dealer, drove over purchased the BMW stems, and installed them at no additional charge! Just happened that the guys took a shine to the job when I told them what I was putting them on. BTW, the Defenders are pretty nice ride, and the Michelin name on the sidewall just feels right.

I did look at Walmart and their price is the same as Tire Rack, which is good. Discount tire has them as special order for about $400 out the door. 

I am leaning toward the Michelin unless someone chimes in about the General Tire option. 

'76 Stone Gray 2002

BMW2002FAQ #502

Everyone's comments echo my opinion that decent 13" tires are going the way of the dinosaur in the US market.  Lack of decent tire availability has driven a lot of 02 owners  to 14" & 15" rim size because of night and day tire selection over 13".  In the US market, the selection of 14" tires (195/60-14) on Tire Rack website is half what it was a few years ago. Recommend reading this thread before anyone buy any tires & wheels.   http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/142446-tires-and-wheelrims-fitment-guide/

I went with 14" E30 wheels in 1984 (both bottlecaps and basketweaves) up until 2009.  Since then I've been running 15" wheels on my tii. 

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I've had the Michelin Defenders 175/70 on my 72 golf for a couple of months with no problems, plenty of tire for my driving I like the stock look...

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

39 minutes ago, Mike_R said:

I have the General Altimax tires on my 2002 but in the 14"  I love them.

How many miles do you have on the Generals? Any other comments about them?

'76 Stone Gray 2002

BMW2002FAQ #502

49 minutes ago, barney t said:

I've had the Michelin Defenders 175/70 on my 72 golf for a couple of months with no problems, plenty of tire for my driving I like the stock look...

Barney!!

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the input. It seems the Defenders may be worth the premium price. 

'76 Stone Gray 2002

BMW2002FAQ #502

On 6/21/2016 at 11:03 AM, darrinm1 said:

How many miles do you have on the Generals? Any other comments about them?

I love em.  Great tread pattern on the 14's.  I have low mileage due to second car use.  But they handle so much better than the old ones. 

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

On 10/23/2015 at 1:01 PM, Redtail said:

For whatever it's worth I'm probably going with the Falken unless people think the Extensa is a significantly better tire.

I run the Toyo's on my 76 and I like them.  There a good overall tire and look nice as well.  I have not run Flaken's on my 2002 but I did have them on my c230 and did not like them at all.  Wore quickly and were loud but, that might just be my experience.

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

1 minute ago, mmichalik said:

I run the Toyo's on my 76 and I like them.  There a good overall tire and look nice as well.  I have not run Flaken's on my 2002 but I did have them on my c230 and did not like them at all.  Wore quickly and were loud but, that might just be my experience.

I actually ended up going with the Toyos and love them. I also got a set of Extensa's for my vintage Mercedes and I'm going with a set of Toyo all terrain tires for my Cherokee too.