• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone tried to disassemble the vent window frame in order to re-plate the chrome part below the vent window?  It looks like cast zinc.  Mine is pitted, which I believe is common.  There are some rivets that hold this cast piece to the extruded aluminum frame parts.  Looks like a simple mater to drill out the rivets and take it apart, but how does it go back together?  Screws?

The frame is a partial casting held together to the aluminum other bits by rivets. I took mine apart except for the rivets and cleaned them up. One trick to taking the window frame out of the main frame is to pull the glass out first, then you can press down and remove the hinged window frame. Do the same on reassembly but make sure the glass is positioned correctly. The glass has a notch like section to clear the hinge thickness.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 6 years later...
On 10/23/2015 at 4:02 PM, Silver73tii said:

Has anyone tried to disassemble the vent window frame in order to re-plate the chrome part below the vent window?  It looks like cast zinc.  Mine is pitted, which I believe is common.  There are some rivets that hold this cast piece to the extruded aluminum frame parts.  Looks like a simple mater to drill out the rivets and take it apart, but how does it go back together?  Screws?

Did you figure this one out? Looking at doing the same.

Thanks,

Dennis

The frame is made from two parts (materials). The main frame (base) is chromed and the trim on the top is polished aluminium. When mounted on the car mostly the aluminium trim is visible. There is only one small area from the metal chromed part that is visible. This is on the bottom front side corner right below the seal, it's looking like a small triangle (around 1-1.5 inch). This area is very small, but if it's pitted it's not good anyway. The most easy fix for this to sand the pittings to make the surface smooth and wrap it with film with chrome effect. :) I bought one piece of such wrap film from Aliexpress, it works perfect

07/73 BMW 2002tii Golf, powered Sunroof

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2022 at 7:24 PM, BarneyT said:

Pop rivets go back…

Barney: my '76 has three pop rivets on one side and two solid rivets on the other. Are you saying just use pop rivets all the way around, forget the solids?

3 hours ago, PapaG said:

Barney: my '76 has three pop rivets on one side and two solid rivets on the other. Are you saying just use pop rivets all the way around, forget the solids?

You should only have to remove and replace two at pivot, for most repairs!

But Yes to re-plate remove and replace it’s really all you can do…it’s important to try to get pop rivets tight 

Edited by BarneyT
  • Like 1

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…