• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking some E9 info....

joysterm

I have a line on a 1970 E9. 

I do not know alot about this car at this point or E9's in general other than I love the look. Anyone out there can give me a few pointers as to  what to look for or any red flag areas to pay attention to.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated......

Thx. Mike

Edited by joysterm

I own one, what do you want to know?

I am located in Seattle, but I know there is a gentleman in BC that is part of e9coupe forum (goes by 'stphers' here).

He might be able to help you locally & might know a few knowledgeable folks to assist you....

Good luck with it,

MF

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

E9s rust and are very expensive to fix due to how complicated they are. They are very attractive cars, but don't fall in love or your hopes may be dashed on the rocks. Due diligence, go in with as much knowledge as you can gather, take lots of pictures.

Log onto e9coupe.com and follow the instructions at the top of the General Discussion page.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Also remember two things:

1) It is very easy to get in over your head on a coupe

2) A man who owned many 2002's (I was considering buying) told me this: 'those cars can make a grown man cry'

I have never heard that phrase before or since.....

And I really believe him, coupes can make a man cry if they are not the right car for that particular owner.

MF

Edited by mo02

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

Rust prone areas involve the entire car and these areas.

http://www.e9coupe.com/buyers_guide/index.htm

Peruse this, look how nice the car looks at the start.

http://www.larsenarchitect.com/BMW/Restoration.html

No such thing as a 'rust free' CS, it just means no upfront extra charge for it. These cars were rusting as they were built and in show rooms and on the dealer lots. They were all hand built by Karmann with nooks and crannies which hold dirt and water against the unprotected steel like an English muffin holds butter and jam. None of the steel was galvanized or galva-dipped like American cars of the same era.

Edited by adawil2002

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Probably my favorite BMW of all time. I first worked on them when they were new and there were rust issues almost immediately. They are not rust MAGNETS they are RUST FACTORIES! Don't worry about the mechanicals, make sure the body is in good condition and all of the trim pieces (interior and exterior) are there before you starting thinking about buying ANY E9.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Lets see: rust, rust, mmmm, rust. Did I mention rust? If the car has been "restored", it may still have rust, or bondo filled rust. A good resto requires stripping the car to the tub and cutting off the front fenders. Ask me how I know. Then as mentioned above, parts are expensive. Beautiful cars, and real attention grabbers, but not for the timid or of limited budget. If you are serious, get it up on a rack and the be prepared to lift a lot of carpet.

I would like to thank all who took the time to add their comments to this thread. Your input was both invaluable and helpful.

I finally got a chance to go over the car today, unfortuneatly I have taken a pass on it. It was not easy to say "no" to a car that I absolutley adore. The selling price was certainly fair  but given its major fitment issues with both doors and other iproblems with the rockers, it was easier to walk away than to continually open my wallet for that long laundry list to make it right.

I learned a lot from the exercise, information that will certainly help when the next one comes around.....I hope.

Again many thanks,

Mike