• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW Vehicle Identification Manual

RAS-2002

Wow, you never know what you're going to come across on the 'net!

I was trying to find the significance of the "2552 code", "114 type", etc., when I came across this internal document from BMW North America, dated Sept 1, 1989.

It contains tons of interesting data for all BMW US models from 1964-1990 ... What I found really interesting is that in this internal BMW NA document, nowhere are the 2002s referred to as "E10". E3s, E9s, E12s, E21s, and E24s are there, but no E10. So I wonder where the E10 nomenclature originated.

The 1600/2002 info starts on page 4.1 (with hand-written 11 on it).

It also has "body number decipherment" and "engine number decipherment" info for later models.

I hope you find this data as interesting and informative as I did...

Enjoy.

-Bob

BMW Vehicle Identification Manual from 1989.pdf

BMW Vehicle Identification Manual from 1989.pdf

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

So now I can avoid the confusion of saying my old bmw is a 2002, standard response being "that isn't very old". I'm just going to say it's a type 114 from now on. They'll be equally confused but I bet they won't press for an explanation unless they're actually a car person.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

In the factory 2002 history book, the centerfold (pg 25-26) is the designer's rendering of what became the final design for the 1600-2; in the upper left hand corner is the BMW logo and the number 114, designating the model portrayed.  that's why my license plate is "E-114."

The E10 actually refers to the Touring (hatchback), which was designed several years later.  This E10 business has been going on for years and I'm not sure how it started, but it's hard to get rid of.  

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Wondrous document!!! May I ask, from which site it originated?

The type numbering system started during the late 1950's and was replaced by the Entwicklung (development) numbering system during the late 1960's. The first new development of the type 114 was the Touring (E6) and the Munich Olympic electric 1600 the E7. The 1971 (or was it 73)  02 models were of course the E10, and the turbo was originally the E10T but was changed to E20.

Mike your licence plate should of course be typ 114. 

Edited by JohnH

02tii 2751928 (2582)

Thanks for the additional info, Mike and JohnH.

Type, code, etc nomenclature has always beguiled me.

Here's the website of the document: (appears to have been received by NHTSA) ftp://safercar.gov/MfrMail/01-22-N11B-3811.pdf

I found it by googling these terms: BMW "2552" "114"

Best,

-Bob

"One can never have too much information (as long as its correct and accurate)."

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

this is very interesting, so in the late 70's the serial numbers changed, (out of sequence) so going by these numbers, i now know

that the motor that i pulled out of a 72 in 98 then crated up, only now to be pondered. is 70 head according to the casting date.

but the bottom/ block is a 76 (2378401) since it was sitting probably 8 to10 years before i got it in 98, and it is a 76 block, with a 70 head.

i now have a better picture of this engine.

So where would ST13 come in?

When I look my car up on realoem it classifies my car as an ST13 (Mar 73 build, rhd, euro, manual, sedan.

I think that all of the STnn codes are replacements for nnnn codes that got lost.

I'll try and explain. Only mod71 cars have ST codes. All cars from the beginning of time up untll the mid 60's have been allocated ST codes.

I think that the Model Code is used as a foreign key that is used to group vehicles of similar characteristics in the BMW database. I believe that initially, from the early 70's they were using an IBM system using either IMS/DB or DL1 hierarchical databases (which also allowd logical relationships) or KSDS VSAM.

My guess is that they originally used a manual ledger of Chassis Numbers and they allocated batches of them to various models. When they computerised they initially carried all the the ledger entries onto the new database at the same time as creating a parts and vehicle enquiry system. In order to reduce the volume of data they gave each car a Model Code (not to be confused with the boot lid model description) and allocated various attributes to each model code. 

Initially the database listed Chassis Number, but with the introduction of VIN descriptors on mid 1979 things became more complicated and initially they they started overwriting batches of Chassis Numbers with the new last seven digits of the vin. As they did this they lost the original Model Codes, so in order to keep the system functioning they reallocated the origiinal Chassis Numbers new STnn Model Codes.

Well that my theory!!!

The really interesting data are the NA Codes / Build Codes. James Taylor lists the codes used for 02's;

post-35003-0-76147600-1446208528_thumb.j

They dont have the 1st year digit but they do fit in with the 1979 3-series codes. What do you think.

Which all begs the question of why they didnt use these codes in their database instead of the new Model Codes. I sometimes think that BMW are a rather disjointed organisation.

02tii 2751928 (2582)

Probably (hopefully) putting more effort into engineering their cars than organising their business. No doubt that has all changed as competition has increased.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Probably (hopefully) putting more effort into engineering their cars than organising their business. No doubt that has all changed as competition has increased.

LOL.  I dare anyone to make any sense whatsoever of the current bmw model "series" numbers........

2xM3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, wodering if someone could help me finding out a bit more about this model and if its interesting:

Seems to be a 1971 1600 model. Is it an interesting model? Originaly I was looking for a 2.0L engine but those are more difficult to find at this moment. Thanks for your help.

I dont know how to attach the pictures. It asks me for an URL and I just have them in my computer.

Thanks

Hi, wodering if someone could help me finding out a bit more about this model and if its interesting:

Seems to be a 1971 1600 model. Is it an interesting model? Originaly I was looking for a 2.0L engine but those are more difficult to find at this moment. Thanks for your help.

I dont know how to attach the pictures. It asks me for an URL and I just have them in my computer.

Thanks

Engine/Motor Number is; 2671182

Thanks

Engine/Motor Number is; 2671182

2671182 is a 1971 1600-2 Euro model (ie not a USA model), manufactured February? 1971.

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17