• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to 02's and need advice from the vets...

JonTheHero22

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST

Hi 02faq, I'm new to 2002's and I recently found a 1970 2002 on craigslist that piqued my interest. I emailed the seller and set up an appointment and we met up. This was my first time driving a manual BMW. I currently own a 1987 325i (auto-tragic) and a 2009 Honda Civic Si (manual). 

Well let me describe what I saw visually first. Overall it looked like a well maintained 02 but there was some rust spots and they were more severe than just surface rust. There was rust around the bottom of the front windshield, drivers side rocker panel, and drivers rear fender, that's what I could see clearly but I'm sure there was more elsewhere. It was repainted a few owners ago and the paints not bad but there are cracks on the drivers door that the owner said was "stress cracks" but inside the cracked paint was white which kind of worried me. As for the engine bay, it was very very clean and it looked well maintained mechanically, and she said it's been sent to a few different shops around the area and she has some service records.

My driving experience was scary to say the least. I couldn't really feel where the clutch engaged but I know with smaller engines it's a little hard to feel but again this was my first time driving a manual BMW and my first time driving a manual direct connect vehicle (not drive by wire). I didn't stall on the initial move and I got the car to move but it felt weak and if I didn't gas it pretty hard it would almost stall. The owner said that it was normal and just to give it a lot of gas. Maybe it's just the way I was taught to drive manual but I am not a fan of gassing it and letting the clutch eat away and do all the work, my Civic is at 90k miles on the factory clutch and still going strong and I'd like to think it's because of the way I drive, but correct my if I'm wrong (by all means please do). The steering was fine other than no power steering which I'd just have to get used to which shouldn't be hard since 02's don't weigh much. But my main concern is the clutch and if that's normal to have to give it a lot of gas to get moving. My other concern was it was hard to put the car into reverse, I couldn't get it and the owner did it and just really SHOVED it in there and it finally went into reverse, (possible bad tranny?) And the owner said the shifter bushings could get replaced to give the shifter a more crisp feel.

All in all it seemed like a good car for the price but after some research, the biggest concern for me became the rust because the major rust spots I saw were bubbles already so that means it's a pretty good amount of rust under the paint and I'm a big DIY person and rust kind of scares me but I wouldn't mind sending it to a shop and getting it repaired as much as I'd hate to miss out on the learning experience. So based off of this information do you guys have any input that can help push me over the edge or pull me back from the edge. Any and all input would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated. Thank you guys again of the 02faq and I hope to have nice chats with all of you.

Oh and the add for the car: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5280786404.html

Welcome!

As for the 2002 in question there are a couple of things to bear in mind.  First and foremost iron out what it is you want out of a 2002 and plan on any candidates go through a pre-purchase inspection from a local shop whom knows what they are doing (there are several in the bay area).

Any old car is going to have flaws, especially on a budget.  And we can sit here all day scrutinizing them, HOWEVER any car that is not a complete professional resto will have "flaws".  It sounds like a new clutch is in order and you will need to take care of the rust at some point (i.e. decent tear down restoration).  Depending on rust severity this particular car may make for a decent driver for a couple years with a good mechanical tune up (clutch, shifter, etc.) before jumping into a rusty resto project.  You may be able to find a "rust free" survivor out there that may not look great that could be a better (more cost effective) restoration candidate (the downside there is the car wouldn't be enjoyable for some time.

**EDIT: the car esty posted may be a nice one to, but paint can hide a lot so again go with a good ppi.

Edited by AceAndrew

rust repair is costly...spend more on the front end and you'll most like save in the end

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-2002-COUP-/111809092123?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1a08575a1b:g:Id4AAOSw9mFWLWYE&item=111809092123

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

my 2 cents

Imported from Florida? Interesting on several levels.

But back to your original link; as someone who bought a needy car for similar $ to the car you posted, I can't agree more with Esty. If I could do it again, I'd spend twice as much on a nicer car and I'm pretty sure I'd come out ahead vs where I am now. I'd keep looking and steer clear of rusty cars and cheap resprays. Sounds like you're looking at the right things.

Be patient and keep looking.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

An 02 shouldn't be any harder to drive than your Honda. Certainly what might strike most people used only to modern cars would be the steering. The 02 was engineered (to a price) by enthusiastic German engineers. The features they put on the car back then have stood the test of time in comparison with a lot of other classic cars of the period.

You didn't say how much he wants for the car (I think?) but I would steer clear of it, if I were you. Mainly because rust is always worse than it looks and is costly to repair.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Thank you guys so much for the prompt and beyond helpful responses. I can tell I'm gonna like it here at 02faq  ;). I'll pass on this little blue 02 and keep hunting. If it should have driven the same as my Civic that clutch is beyond toast, that's all I can say about that haha. But thank you guys again for all your wise words and I'll still be on the hunt

The add says it's had a new clutch installed less than 16,000 miles ago. What felt odd about it? Does it let out "high"? Just curious because mine let's out kinda high. Normal?

Anthony

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1972 2002 Atlantik

Bunch of old airhead BMW motorcycles

Hard to say if something is wrong with the transmission/clutch without driving it first hand. Personally, I'd drive a few 2002's so you can feel out what they typically feel like - that way you know what to expect/look for.

Rust is a big deal. If you can find a non rusty one, it's definitely worth the money, either in purchase price or mechanical repair.

I'm of mixed mind on this subject. I bought a solid but cheap 2002 and then proceeded to strip it and fix or replace everything as required over the next 15 years. Yes I would have been better off financially to buy a completed car. I certainly would have been smarter to start with a small bumper tii. But, I'm kind of glad I didn't and here is why.

My 2002 was a puppy that needed a home. Once it followed me home I felt an obligation to nurse it back to health. After I had spent so many hours with it we bonded and now it's my trusty companion. No, it's not a show dog but I wouldn't trade it for one either.

So if someone starts restoring a rusty wreck, it is going to take more time and cost more money but they might enjoy the experience of saving a 2002 that otherwise may have been euthanized.

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2

@gastephens I understand completely where you are coming from, I'm sort of taking that on with my current e30, but when it comes to rust and rust that is pretty severe in my opinion, I get very deterred because rust is an extremely labor intensive job and it requires a good amount of tools and know how to DIY it and I feel like sending it to a shop you miss out on that experience both with the car and to learn more yourself. And since rust is the major killer with 02s I'll just have to find a 02 with a cleaner body.

@vinntagejoe sorry about that Joe, I put the disclaimer at the top apologizing for the long post haha.

@beemeup I couldn't really feel where the clutch engaged that was the major problem and the owners solution was to just gas it during the entire release of the clutch, which I think would be a major cause of burning out your clutch, no?