• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What replacement seats have you placed in your '02?

Vicleonardo1

Wow talk about timing. Have been trying a few different seats in my car after finding an upholster, and after putting a seat of e30 comfort seats ( forgive me if I am wrong on the name ) I decided that further options needed to be explored. 

While looking around the salvage yard I happened to see an e28 slowing dying in the corner. It should have better bolster than the comfort seats so going to go measure them out tomorrow. 

My assumption is that they are a wider seat than the e30 options but will find out tomorrow. If they come home with me I will try to document the work of making an adapter. 

Thanks for reviving this post 

Pretty poor picture, but these are 79-82 Mustang Recaros. Personally, I really like them! I restrung the rubber bands on the bottom (like an E21 recaro) with seatbelt webbing and personally it made it much better then most if not all stock recaros I've sat in.

0904101330.jpg

Recaro-Complete-Set_595.jpg

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Did the mustang seats bolt right up? Was looking at a pair two months ago but the owner wouldn't move enough on the price 

Looked like they wouldn't be any different than mounting recaros at first glance

For those with the Recaros, is the seat much lower?  At 6'6", my head brushes the ceiling with the stock seats, and they're worn out, so I'm looking for a replacement that is lower.

I picked up a cheap set of 02 WRX seats, but the only way they would fit lower than stock, is if I cut out the floor mounts, which would be my last resort.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

12 hours ago, 2002newb said:

Did the mustang seats bolt right up? Was looking at a pair two months ago but the owner wouldn't move enough on the price 

Looked like they wouldn't be any different than mounting recaros at first glance

No, adapter brackets needed to be made.

For me, the Recaros raised me up, but there's also an inch of bracketry that was added over stock.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

22 hours ago, xr4tic said:

For those with the Recaros, is the seat much lower?  At 6'6", my head brushes the ceiling with the stock seats, and they're worn out, so I'm looking for a replacement that is lower.

I picked up a cheap set of 02 WRX seats, but the only way they would fit lower than stock, is if I cut out the floor mounts, which would be my last resort.

I believe the Recaro brackets from Massive have the seat fit a little lower than the standard 320i conversion brackets. 

http://www.massivebrakes.com/accessories.php?p=2002_RecaroAdapters

Edited by Vicleonardo1
added website info.

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

22 hours ago, xr4tic said:

I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam so most of my height is torso. I have Recaro LX-S seats and the Massive seat mounts that Vic mentioned. I can wear a helmet in the car and my helmet just clears the headliner.

(I'm in the driver's seat. My instructor in the passenger seat is probably 5'5")

IMG_1627.JPG

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

E30 325is seats, removed spacers and mounted to the 02 brackets.

The seat bottoms raised about 3/4" but my 5'-1/2" wife was quite pleased, me I could go 1" lower but don't really want to cut and weld so I'm fine with it

E30.2002 Seats (5).JPGE30.2002 Seats (6).JPGE30.2002 Seats (7).JPGt

• Thanks 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

2000 Porsche Boxster.  Brackets were very simple.  If I'd thought about it some, I could have offset the seats inboard to put the driver's seat in front of the steering wheel.  I may remake the brackets at some point but the offset doesn't really bother me.  Seating height seems to be the same as stock, best I could measure.

Porsche backrests.JPG

Just wanted to give anyone looking for cheap recaros a heads up.

The Isuzu Vehicross has some pretty cool Recaros and they can be had very cheaply from your local scrap yard.  

They are leather and need to be dyed to match, but I was able to install front seats into my 2002 this past weekend.  They have adjustable knee bolsters as well.

160555182_99-isuzu-vehicross-front-rear-leather-seats.jpg

On 5/11/2016 at 7:35 AM, chargin said:

E30 325is seats, removed spacers and mounted to the 02 brackets.

The seat bottoms raised about 3/4" but my 5'-1/2" wife was quite pleased, me I could go 1" lower but don't really want to cut and weld so I'm fine with it

E30.2002 Seats (5).JPGE30.2002 Seats (6).JPGE30.2002 Seats (7).JPGt

These look great!!! Wow.... These would make an excellent option for a DD/cruiser.

I have e21 Recaros in the front, and e24 in the rear. I bought the rear seats from Dave Varko at Aardvark, and he also sells the e21 Recaros. I would expect he could provide the rails to install the front Recaros. The e24 rear seats fit straight in, but it is nice to do a custom rear deck to fit to the curved contour of the seat backs.  Also, the e24 female seat belt buckles will not directly install. To use them you would need a fabricator. I chose to retain my 'o2 belts. I need to fish them out to use them, easily done and not a problem because I rarely have anyone seated in the rear.

Dave is great to work with:

https://www.2002parts.com/

Jim