• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wiper blade recommendations?

lazerfred

I ended up getting the trico stainless steel (not black ones). Damn, they look fantastic and totally look correct to the period... no idea if they are any good yet! just waiting for rain... which will likely happen very soon...

I have probably spent the last four springs convincing myself, "This will be the summer I do the heater rebuild" and then ultimately chickened out... I guess I should just dang do it!

Fred- It definitely isn't a fun project, but it sure was a satisfying one when done even though i didn't get everything perfect.I will have to redo it some day, but the fan works, the flaps seal, and it puts out lots of heat. I used too thick of weatherstrip foam on the main flap and broke the control valve cable. My fan blades just touch the main flap, too.

All this is tolerable until I have another reason to drain the coolant again.

Just mentioning so you know what to check and pay special attention to when you do dive in.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Mark me down as one of the no-heat owners. As an interim step until I deal with it, I applied fog-x to the inner windows and it works pretty well. That, and cracking the windows open while wearing a beanie cap for warmth works for me.

FYI - Patrick at Midnight Motors gave me a $800 estimate to fully rebuild my heater. That's next on my list.

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

Mark me down as one of the no-heat owners. As an interim step until I deal with it, I applied fog-x to the inner windows and it works pretty well. That, and cracking the windows open while wearing a beanie cap for warmth works for me.

FYI - Patrick at Midnight Motors gave me a $800 estimate to fully rebuild my heater. That's next on my list.

Given the relative complexity of the job; probably doable by an handy guy, but still lots of things to do and lots of time time take; that's seems very reasonable...

I swear I passed you going the other way on I-5 once... at the time I was thinking had someone been filming from the side of the freeway it would have looked like one of the 7-up commercials from a few years ago when they'd have yellow and green things crashing into each other in slow motion (lemon and lime, yellow and green sumo wrestlers, etc..)

That's funny, how long ago? I've owned mine for only a couple of months but the previous owner lives in Ballard (as do I). Maybe it was him? Or, there's another mintgrun in the neighborhood too. Must have been one of us.

James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

this was actually about 5-6 years ago; so maybe it was the previous owner; it was actually in Marsyville at the time. There's someone around her who also has the spitting image of my car; except better in literally every conceivable way : )

I've passed him before too and I just droop my head a bit, realizing how much better my car could be...

I have the Trico silver blades. When the inserts wore out, I was able to replace them with cut-down PIAA silicone inserts. I may have had to finesse the "jaws" on the blade that hold the insert, but it wasn't a big deal. Those inserts work quite well for me.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Been using Valeo 600's (15") for quite a few years... seem to last a long time, I use them often (although car is garaged so not constantly in the elements).

nice matte black finish, robust... made in Germany I believe.

http://www.valeoserviceusa.com/products/wiper-systems/600-series

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

I have the Trico silver blades. When the inserts wore out, I was able to replace them with cut-down PIAA silicone inserts. I may have had to finesse the "jaws" on the blade that hold the insert, but it wasn't a big deal. Those inserts work quite well for me.

-Dave

Well I got my tricos; and the LOOK great; look totally stock! The downside is they kinda suck at wiping away water; it's been peeing rain in Seattle the last few days and they kinda squeek and don't do a great job with pulling away water... oh well. Later I might try your idea... perfect stock look with maybe better inserts!

• 1 year later...
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 9:49 AM, Simeon said:

That's true. It leaves you with a big corner on the upper right hand side that doesn't get wiped. It can be interesting if overtaking.

I made a mistake, it is Trico and not Tridon which is indeed an Australian brand. Search for Tricia Classic 33-150.

Thanks Simeon, found them on Amazon and placed an order.  They look like the originals!

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)