• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Period correct racing flares.

LateApex

I think, historically, the only cars that used turbo flares were turbos. Fitting them to non factory turbos is a relatively recent phenomenon. If you raced in a class that allowed body modifications then the builders would prefer the more extreme styles allowing even wider track / tyres, generally of their own design.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

+1 on above.  Wheels/Tires is the answer.  As rules changed and allowed larger wheels and more rubber so did the flares evolve (coupled with rules allowing changes in pick up points).  As a case in point my Alpina car ahd 11x15 wheels in the front and 13x15 in the rear, one of only a few cars at that point (1974) running 15" wheels and I don't know that an o2 ran larger wheels until the Schnitzer Turbo car in '76 (though I could be wrong).

post-38814-0-37157300-1447204114_thumb.j

www.alpinabmw2002.com

• Like 1

Does anyone know the story on the flares on the car in the attached picture? Looking to find precisely which model these were formed from or the period of time. From what I read originals were previously metal and welded on, but no photos to accompany these claims. Throughout the faq they are referred to as "Small Alpina Flares". Thanks,

post-39968-0-06465500-1447208201_thumb.j

Edited by LikeStig

Also, the rules set you race under has some bearing on flare style-

Vintage wants 'period correct',

SCCA Production says you have to keep the same

wheelarch profile as the original bodywork,

etc, etc etc.

And there's no point in going any wider than your tire-

fender flares add frontal area.

I ran turbo flares for a long time, since the Ireland version took a 

lot of abuse, and could be replaced, onsey- twosey, in about an hour.

Unlike fiberglass.

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

So the controlling spec in the day was either wheel/tire width, track, or a combination of both?  Fenders had to "cover" and/or match a profile arch?  I see most BS cars run unaltered fenders, (or more correctly, un-flared fenders) that would be the SCCA rule TobyB mentions, then, correct?

Edited by LateApex

Jeff, great pic.  Maybe BMW ripped this guy off, I don't know that they had even developed a 2oo2 Turbo ' Flare ' in 1972.  Looks like maybe he is running "Gotti's" on there (american racing?) ?  Also, it looks like the exhaust is peaking out from the drivers side, which you don't see very often (unless running an M12 which I am sure this car wasn't).

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Here are some interesting flares that I had never seen before I found these photos.  I guess you could call them either “semi pig cheek”, or “turbo pig cheek” flares. 

After a little research, it seems that the factory race cars were also using these flares in 68/69.  The same time they were running the "normal" pig cheeks and won the European Championship.

With the exposed screws it reminds me of the later factory turbo’s.

Factory%20Car%201969_zpsfbnirdud.jpg

Here’s Dieter Quester in 68 in a car with similar flares at the rear and some really wild ones at the front.

0000348096_zpskzih7mgb.jpg

Enjoy,
Kevin

1965 1800 Ti (sold)

1975 525 3.0i Motorsport Special

1987 Alpina C2 Cabriolet

1990 325ix Baur TC2

1998 Z3 Coupe

cool thread/topic here..

the earliest pig cheeks tended to be riveted on...

prior to the cheeks becoming so common,  there were strange looking variations as seen on the rear of the white car in the pics.

(like early 911's, the more you search on the flare topic, the more variations you can find...,even the pig flare radius varied alot from car to car)

For a 205-60/13" tire and wheel with 'typical' offset, this is my current favorite 'flare.' I think it retains a vintage look (though perhaps not acceptable by SCCA standards). It required no cutting, but some serious massaging of the rear metal. Front was pulled with a small piece added to maintain the door-to-fender gap. -KB

post-35761-0-91560400-1447264819_thumb.j