• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Period correct racing flares.

LateApex

I contacted this guy like 9 months ago. no answer.

I purchased a set of his flares second-hand from Mojojoy. I am going to attempt to contact him myself to inquire if he has advice for installing them. I will let you know if I get anywhere- still searching for period pictures of 02's with these flares but here are two other cars/shots of these flares:

post-39968-0-89668600-1447270515_thumb.j

post-39968-0-85361400-1447270574_thumb.j

Edited by LikeStig

It really shouldn't be that difficult to attach them (measure twice (or x3), cut once).  This is an alpina tii from like 1975 that had them.  This car was a real beast, A4 injection,  A4s spec motor + Alpina 320 cam - allegedly rated at 190hp (I believe it).

post-38814-0-01100200-1447275980_thumb.j

www.alpinabmw2002.com

i should also add...

I found some smaller flares (just can't remember the name) from a place in the UK, i even received a quote. I just can't find the email or anything. I want to say the company name starts with a J but googling hasn't helped. I think i even saw the company name mentioned in an 02 restoration book. I'll try to dig it up.

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

My '73 Alpina was competing as a rally car in the UK when it was nearly new. Here are photos from a 1974 Magazine Article showing the flares it was wearing back then.

I wish it still had them - someone replaced them with Turbo flares, presumably because the originals got damaged!

post-47835-14472779785979_thumb.jpg

post-47835-1447278206175_thumb.jpg

ANOTHER great thread!  

One of the reasons there are a variety of different flare pictures ... mostly on the racing sleds ... was dependent on where and what type of race you were in and who you may be up against.  If the race was a tighter track where trading paint was almost a guarantee, or you could bump-turn your opponent, you'd modify your flares for protection by either adding to them, or shaving them down for the faster tracks.   (this can be said for nearly any auto maker that had a model with track presence - especially Lotus!)

As for the streetable sleds, there were many different companies to source parts for ... all which quickly fell out of favor as BMW morphed into other model types and the molds all went to scrap for lack of demand,    

I love the Alpina pictures.  Thanks for posting them!  

Gregory

Edited by SaintlySins

Jamic peut être ils ont des pièces de 2002

Pierre

Salut ! Ça va bien ?

yes, those guys. Merci Pierre!

Unfortunately they don't have any decent photos on their site but if you email them they'll provide some.

02BD.1860.jpg

here's the link:

http://www.jaymic.com/shop/parts_02_products.asp?grp=02BDK&partnumber=02BD.1860

Edited by MildSeven

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

The flares in Jeff´s photo where not called Schweinebacken (pig cheeks) but Fledermausohren (speak "flader mouse oren") which means bat ears in English. Those were the earliest flares homologated for 02 in racing as far as I know. Pig cheeks came a bit later.

Small Alpina flares you can still buy at Alpina (or at least you could a year or so ago) as well as the Alpina front air dam. www.alpina.de

The silver car included in the calendar Alpina has sold in occasion of their 50th anniversary was also present at the celebrations that took place in Buchloe. Photos from 2015 but the bodywork of the car is still original. AFAIR only had a respray with the original flares staying in place as a meanwhile retired Alpina employee has told me that participated in restoring the engine (some more work had to be done there) - so new photos but somewhat contemporary car.

The black paint on the lower part of the front air dam could also be seen on some of the lighter colored press cars tested by german car magazines in the 70s.

post-36854-0-11804100-1447378904_thumb.j

post-36854-0-67716600-1447378923_thumb.j

Although I do nearly automatically love anything Alpina has done in the 60s and 70s (except their pricing maybe) I always considered these flares quite ugly - and I still do. But this is only my personal opinion, of course.

Best regards, Lars.

Edited by LarsAlpina

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

The flares in Jeff´s photo where not called Schweinebacken (pig cheeks) but Fledermausohren (speak "flader mouse oren") which means bat ears in English. Those were the earliest flares homologated for 02 in racing as far as I know. Pig cheeks came a bit later.

Small Alpina flares you can still buy at Alpina (or at least you could a year or so ago) as well as the Alpina front air dam. www.alpina.de

The silver car included in the calendar Alpina has sold in occasion of their 50th anniversary was also present at the celebrations that took place in Buchloe. Photos from 2015 but the bodywork of the car is still original. AFAIR only had a respray with the original flares staying in place as a meanwhile retired Alpina employee has told me that participated in restoring the engine (some more work had to be done there) - so new photos but somewhat contemporary car.

The black paint on the lower part of the front air dam could also be seen on some of the lighter colored press cars tested by german car magazines in the 70s.

attachicon.gifAlpina A2S silber vorn.jpg

attachicon.gifAlpina A2S silber hinten.jpg

Although I do nearly automatically love anything Alpina has done in the 60s and 70s (except their pricing maybe) I always considered these flares quite ugly - and I still do. But this is only my personal opinion, of course.

Best regards, Lars.

I have to disagree, these are by far the best flares I have seen to date! The match the stock curvatures exactly. I want them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk