• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Status of Water Pumps

2002#3

I have had a new water pump for a '74 tii ordered for about four months.  It will be a spare.  Both my supply source and two local BMW dealers state the backorder from mfgr is large and shipment dates keep being moved back.  One BMW dealers has info re: "...200 are due to be released and shipped soon..." (whatever that means).  Indeed difficult to find in most, if not all, supply sources.  The supply company states they are backordered most everywhere throughout the world.  Continuing to wait...

Do any of you have any additional information re: availability of water pumps for tii's?

2002#2

There are no aftermarket pumps available.  The dealer has them on what I affectionately like to call "perma-back-order".  No matter whom you contact they are going to be sourcing them through BMW North America's oem system (unless the seller has one stashed in a dusty corner of their shop).

I am a couple steps into the process of having nice-quality aftermarket pieces made but nothing will be ready for at least 5 months.

There is always the option of sending the pump to a "rebuilder" as well.

Edited by AceAndrew

Healines 2017 --- Tii values dropped to junk status.  Most are sittin in the weeds awaiting a new water pump.  Carbed 02 overtake in the yuppie demand for a collector car!

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Great Headlines!  Probably correct, too.  You folks are sharp.  Getting something past you is like trying to get dawn past a rooster or night past a raccoon...you simply can't do it.

Any of you have experience with the Vintage Autobahn water pump?

...still waiting on a pump.

2002#2

I still will buy a Genuine BMW one when they become available. If they become available.  

It certainly boggles the mind that BMW cannot supply something as simple as a 2002tii water pump.

Old timers will remember that back in the mid-Seventies tii water pump availability was a spotty, and even (if my memory is correct) was mentioned in a Road and Track article about 02's sometime in the Eighties?

Unfortunately I think it show a lack of commitment from Mobile Tradition, I mean after all this a vital part of a functioning vehicle, Duh. 

Realistically it is almost a "act of charity" from BMW to supply it, the money is minuscule.

I have one on order from BMW. I don't need one, but I want a spare. My local dealer actually gave me an ETA of sometime in November, but we will see.

I will keep it on order, and maybe it will show up at my shop someday. We often see this with Porsche and BMW parts, we order something, they say "backorder, no ETA," and then months later it randomly shows up after we have all forgotten about it . . . .

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff

Healines 2017 --- Tii values dropped to junk status.Most are sittin in the weeds awaiting a new water pump

Not mine!  I'm hoarding a new one thanks to an FAQ member that had an extra one.

Also, a tii owner buddy had one rebuilt for the same price as a replacement. 

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

• 2 weeks later...

So far my experience is the same.  I just received an email from the dealer this morning that says "now estimated ETA of 12/23".  Just in time for Christmas :-)  I'm not holding my breath as this is the third 30 day bump I gotten since ordering.  I know Blunt has 12 on order, I'm on his list.

So far there is one positive review for the Vintage Autobahn alternative.  I'm going to order one because at the price, I think it's worth a try.

Beyond that, is anyone aware of a quality remanufacturing service for these.  Assuming you have a good core, this seems fairly straight forward.

Bill 

1973 3.0 CS Nachtblau

1970 2002 Chamonix

1965 1800 Chamonix

I have one on order from BMW. I don't need one, but I want a spare. My local dealer actually gave me an ETA of sometime in November, but we will see.

I will keep it on order, and maybe it will show up at my shop someday. We often see this with Porsche and BMW parts, we order something, they say "backorder, no ETA," and then months later it randomly shows up after we have all forgotten about it . . . .

Update: now I need one!

My water pump bearing now has the slightest amount of play, and some coolant is leaking from the weep hole.

Luckily it held up during Targa Baja California and my recent trips to LA and SF!

I'll call the dealer to check the status of my order, and if they have no answer I'll give the Vintage Autobahn part a whirl.

Chris

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a WP on order for the last several months from a reputable supplier.  The supplier also became tired of waiting and refunded my money.  I was impressed by the supplier's honesty and efforts.  Thank goodness my current WP is working well.  Ordered a Vintage Autobahn WP today.  Time to move on...and keep waiting on a genuine BMW WP.

Larry