• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bmw rebuild transmition 5 speed - $1850 (Van Nuys)

jfahuna

Have a rebuild 5 speed transmition for bmw model 2002/tii 2000cs.320i

1 year warantee.

Install a known good part.

Above price does not include core charge $450. of a rebuildable 5 speed trans.

Can install for additional$$$

I would like it if you gave me your ideal price, maybe we can come to a fair agreement with your worn out questionable gearbox..

You are charging 1850 for a 5 speed transmission? Is it just me or is this ridiculously high? I am looking for one, but I have called around and been quoted 500 dollars at the most. I have a perfectly functioning 4 speed that I'd be willing to give for credit towards a 5 speed. I just drive on the freeway too much and need a few less RPMs!

Edited by BlakeNelsonJr

Blake Nelson

503-819-9657

Pacific Northwest (Portland)

1976 2002 - 1981 320i

You're not looking to sell this are you? hehe. I'm desperate. I have my poor little 02 pulled apart at a shop right now. My car came with a "great" 5 speed (looked amazing, however it's completely shot!). So now i'm in a hold pattern here waiting to see if I can find one, or if I have to put my 4 speed back in.....seems like a great waste of time and a few hundred bucks!

Blake Nelson

503-819-9657

1976 2002 - 1981 320i

What you guys are describing is considered a "core transmission". Jack is offering a rebuilt transmission and he's right around the correct market price for a proper rebuild with customer provided core.

I thought I was crazy for thinking $1850 for a rebuilt transmission was reasonable. Used ones are 600-750 nowadays, and those are gambles.

GLWS OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Now myself like most DIY hack BMW owners; and semi poor types in this for hobby sake, rebulit prices always send one looking elswhere. Below is from Metric Mechanics site. Core price is the 2nd #.
I'll agree that used ones are the better route if you find a good one however 10 to 20 years ago they were easy to pick up in the bone yards. Nowadays, not so much.

Someone like those re-made bumper guys need to reverse engineer in China the dog-leg 5 speed and sell them.

Are you listening?

Certainly as a result of this thread many a used suspect transmisions will now increase.

But what do I know?

320i ≥ ’80 -’82     Getrag 245 $2,995 $700 Getrag 245 Sport OD $3,995 $700 318i ≥ ’85, 318is ‘89-’90,     Getrag 240 $2,995 $500 Getrag 240 Sport OD $3,995 $500 2002, 320i Race ≥ ’79     Getrag 242, Close Ratio 4 Speed $3,995 $500

post-33884-0-47987800-1447866363_thumb.j

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

The owner of this thread called me on my cell phone. He was absolutely right, and after we spoke for a minute or two, I recant my "wow that seems like a lot!!!". He was very professional, and I hope his transmission finds a good home! I have a lead on one right now that I am hoping pans out seeing as my baby is ripped apart right now!

Thank you all for your input!

Blake Nelson

503-819-9657

1976 2002 - 1981 320i

What you guys are describing is considered a "core transmission".  Jack is offering a rebuilt transmission and he's right around the correct market price for a proper rebuild with customer provided core.

Add: Some bearings for the 245/5 speed OD gearbox have been NLA; as we see in this post and discussion, they're getting more valuable in any condition. Reminds me I have one which shifts beautifully but 'whirs' a bit in 1st - 3rd gear ... not enough to justify a rebuild just yet. -KB