• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EDIT: LOOKING FOR 2 PIECE or 1 PIECE DASH *******FOUND*********

2fast4u

Hi I have a 1972 BMW 2002, from my knowledge it's supposed to have a 2 piece dash without the seat belt light which is what I believe is in the car. I am looking for a complete 2 piece or 1 piece dash, as both upper and lower halves of mine have cracks that as so deep it's not worth repairing. I am located in SoCal and prefer a local sale but will buy shipped (to 91107) if I like the product.

Thanks,

-Sevag

Edited by 2fast4u

If it's a U.S.-spec '72 car, it originally had a two-piece dash WITH fasten-seat-belt light. A Euro-spec '72 had no fasten-seat-belt light. Euro replacement dashes are recognizable by both the lack of a hole for the fasten-seat-belt light and the lack of printed labels above the four control knob locations (flanking the instrument cluster). But you can always cut the hole for the fasten-seat-belt light and have labeling printed if your car is U.S. spec and you are a stickler for original appearances.

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I have been told by a few people that they think my car is euro spec and one of the reasons is the dash for the reasons you just stated. Do you know how I can verify it?

Thanks,

-Sevag

Yes, Sevag,

Just email your car's VIN to BMW Archives and request their data on the car (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com). It's free and you often get a response within 24 hours.

You'll find out: 1.) the manufacturing date; 2.) the date legal title passed from BMW to a sole importer or dealer and the legal domicile of that importer or dealer (Hoffman Motors, of NYC, was the sole U.S importer during your car's era); 3.) the market of the car (U.S. or Euro); 4.) the original color and color code.

And, while you're waiting, you can type your car's VIN into the VIN decoder of the 2002 Club of Columbia:

http://www.bmwclasicos.com/vin.php

This will also tell you the market but you won't find out precise dates or the original color!

Remember also, these dashes have been cracking for 40 years. And people have been swapping/replacing them for 40 years!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)