• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stuart

The motor project has begun. I'd like to use a ti airbox for my 40 DCOEs. Has anyone on here done that?

Are there mounting issues or any special things I will need to do to make it fit?

I've seen the stock airbox with the long intakes at each end. I've also seen a version without intakes and what looks like a filter at each end. This one had "Alpina" on it.

If you have either of these set-ups could you please post a picture. Can you still find the rubber adapters that go between the carbs and the airbox?

Thanks in advance for any direction or guidance.

Stuart

Edited by Spike

Rubber airbox boots are still available.  I got mine from Connor at FAQ-favorite, Vintage Autobahn.  He can also try to find you a proper Ti airbox... he may actually have one?  https://vintageautobahn.wordpress.com/

The filters are also available from Walloth Nesch.

Be mindful that there are a couple iterations of that airbox and the differences are subtle.  The NK box has straight runners and the 2002 box's are angled.  I believe the NK box is round on the bottom and won't clear the brake booster.... speaking of which.. if you don't have a Tii brake booster, I don't think any of these airboxes will fit without some major hammering.

These pop up occasionally, but expect to pay a premium.  Lots of threads on this topic... I know, I read a bunch of them while I searched for a Ti airbox.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

You'll need to find a ti airbox and rubber accordion hoses, which could be a challenge. Then you have to adapt the hoses to the DCOEs. That's where the fun starts. I used abs plumbing pieces attached to the Webber airhorns to get the correct diameter. You also need the correct brake booster, but even then, several of the tubes may rub on the booster, because the original Solexes had slanted inlets.

And what Zinz says. Ti box is different.

post-39615-0-46773900-1447686365_thumb.j

post-39615-0-19934700-1447686493_thumb.j

post-39615-0-20720500-1447686540_thumb.j

ABS plumbing pieces on the airhorns?  I definitely need to know more...my latest project needs those :)

post-42878-0-84787300-1447687655_thumb.j post-42878-0-60618600-1447687656_thumb.j

Please excuse the engine's condition... since these early pictures, I have fixed some of the more obvious problems (now have proper filters and boots, etc...)

Interesting note:  The air horns on these 45s are angled and rotate to line up with the airbox runners.  Pretty cool.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Here are some photos of a ti airbox with weber 40's on my ti.  I used rubber doughnuts on standard bolt-on shorty weber airhorns to attach the stock ti airbox hoses.  It works well enough while I wait on Patrick to fab some custom airhorns.  One issue on the airbox hoses - I had to provide a copy of my title to BMW in order to buy the airbox hoses.  BMW is getting more picky about selling euro-only parts in the US.  You may be able to find the hoses somewhere else though.

Andy

post-47313-0-54326800-1447693417_thumb.j

post-47313-0-27125000-1447693449_thumb.j

1971 2002ti

Well, I have Alpina A1 car that was robbed of almost all valuable things, and guess what ti airbox was one of them. But lucky enough i found one for sale that came from Alpina. So mounting plate was there but was all covered in rust, and I had holder made from stainless steel. For horns i had original ones but was more enthusiastic about actual horns... So adopted mine made from aluminium. At first i was a bit concerned that this would ruin latent flow, and simulation proven all good.

flow-en-cilinder.jpg

Original ones were measured and aluminium tube was cut and welded at exact place...
img0913a.jpg

A lot of elbow grease and they were done!

img0941.jpg

Old bigger Alpina filters were thrown away and replaced with everything new, also new paint for airbox and holder and the resulti is... well face was not bif enough for a smile :D
img0993.jpg

Best regards

Blaz

Here are some photos of a ti airbox with weber 40's on my ti.  I used rubber doughnuts on standard bolt-on shorty weber airhorns to attach the stock ti airbox hoses.  It works well enough while I wait on Patrick to fab some custom airhorns.  One issue on the airbox hoses - I had to provide a copy of my title to BMW in order to buy the airbox hoses.  BMW is getting more picky about selling euro-only parts in the US.  You may be able to find the hoses somewhere else though.

Andy

Hi Andy. Is this your official ti we discussed before?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Hey Jim:

Yes, that's my real ti.  Thanks again for the airbox.  Looking at those photos, I probably should have had that dent pulled before powder coating it.  By the way, the airbox (and horns) really smoothed things out compared to the ITG filters I was running with no air horns.

1971 2002ti

Hey Jim:

Yes, that's my real ti.  Thanks again for the airbox.  Looking at those photos, I probably should have had that dent pulled before powder coating it.  By the way, the airbox (and horns) really smoothed things out compared to the ITG filters I was running with no air horns.

I love it as it is.  Glad I could help complete your ti  :) .

Maybe we will meet someday once I complete my 69 "ti" project.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 5 years later...