• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 2002 on Ebay

Russkcpa

Year:: 1970

Make:: BMW

Model:: 2002

One of my favorite colors

45K mikes ?? Driven by woman school teacher

No affiliation and not bashing......just looking for some expert comments

It's how I learn what is right and what is wrong about these beautiful cars

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-/231754163924?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35f59fe6d4:g:AoQAAOSwLzdWSOQw&item=231754163924

Edited by Russkcpa

1973 Tii Turkis

1983 320is Henna

Very nice car. I don't see much to pick apart.

I bet it goes for $15k+

Cheers,

Hmm.   A 69 Nevada 2002 with VIN starting with 166.   Blown head gasket and sat for many years.  I sense a pattern (and disturbance in the force).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”

....I bet it goes for $15k+...

I agree.

I'm typically wary of low, low mileage claims, and I remain so here: 1.) fully half the odometers or speedometers in cars for sale appear to be broken, so mileage readings are unreliable even apart from the 5-digit limitation; 2.) no sign of substantial books and records here; and 3.) replacement of complete seat covers and carpets by 38,000 miles (see article on current owner and daughter) is quite unusual, virtually unheard of. Add the front plenum to the list of re-painted areas, noting overspray on windshield wiper motor, hood hold-down bar, and screws securing the hood hold-down bar; but that area often suffers damage when a hood is damaged -- disclosed in the listing.

None of these items changes the overall character of the car, which is to say, an extremely nice example of an early car. Anyone buying it should consider themselves lucky to own it, assuming the rust situation is as light as disclosed and represented in the photos. Buyers of 40-year-old '02s often forget that these cars first served as daily drivers, not Saturday-morning drivers like Ferraris. Consequently, old damage, respectfully repaired, is the norm for even better examples. And I'd certainly consider this a better example!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I do believe that this was "well bought" at $13,100, as clean early '02s, such as this, are quite rare, and growing rarer every day.

When I went back to the photos, however, I noticed that the nosepiece was probably replaced -- 75% of my four drivers have had replaced nosepieces and I believe that half of all surviving '02s have had a "nose jobs" sometime during the last 4 decades. There is no way even a good body shop could tell that my '76 had a nose job in '78, if I weren't around to reveal "the truth"! I make the "nose job" argument for the Nevada '70, however, because of the treatment of the joint between the nosepiece and the front top of the inner fender. The photo below is of my '73, which has had a nose job, albeit miraculously getting a tii "snorkel-less" replacement nose. Notice that there is, as was "factory," a simple lap joint where the nosepiece's flange laps over the top front of the inner fender. The Nevada '70, on the other hand, has a treatment I've seen often on replaced nosepieces: the body shop replacing the nosepiece cannot resist "improving" on that lap joint. They attempt to fill in the area and make the joint seamless, as if it were not a joint. The detailed photographs of the '70 show the right side as more effectively done than the left side. But when you see this treatment, you're generally looking at a replaced nosepiece: the factory was happy with the simple lap joint!

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-03878600-1448291864_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Good luck to new owner.

Thanks for all of the comments-especially pointing out areas of concern.

Something just seemed wrong here starting with the   "never had a radio"

A woman school teacher owns a car for 17 years with no radio ???

Still seems like a nice car

My 69 2002 never had a radio installed, nor an antenna.  I intend on keeping it that way.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”