• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002 in Buffalo, NY

Mark92131

Year:: 1972

Make:: BMW

Model:: 2002

Price:: 9500.00

I saw this ad and thought I would pass it along.  A 1972 BMW 2002 Automatic in Ceylon over Black.  A little more expensive than the cars I typically post, but a very rare color.  Recently painted with some over spray in the untidy engine compartment, was a CA Car so rust may be minimal.

NM/NA,

Mark92131

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/5322645705.html

post-33686-0-29324200-1447954766_thumb.j

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

1973 Golf Totaled in 1979

1971 Chamonix Sold

1972 Tii Verona Sold

1973 Inka Sold

1971 Malaga Totaled in 1984

1973 Agave Sold

1973 Agave auto Sold

2000 R1150 GS current

The e-bay ad has a picture of the VIN tag and above it a Polaris PVC-frei color sticker under the oil change sticker.  So maybe not original Ceylon paint?

Mark92131

Mark,

Like Daron, I also read "ceylon PVC-frei." Some time in '72 or '73, all the metallic paints, such as Polaris, Ceylon, Fjord, etc., switched to the PVC-frei formulation, in an effort to cure BMW's cracking metallic paint issue. It didn't work. Although I am wary of color labels as proof of original color -- because replacement labels have been available since the cars were new -- I would guess that this mighty rare, and worn, "ceylon PVC-frei" sticker is original to the car.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Relisted on eBay with a buy it now of $9,750 or offer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-02-Series-Roundie-Automatic-/262161756754?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3d0a0ef252:g:mgMAAOSwbdpWVy3F&item=262161756754

And back on Craigslist

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/5322645705.html

I emailed seller after it did not make the reserve on the last auction.  I didn't hear anything back.

You should just call them.  If I were interested, and local, I would sure as heck go take a look at it.  Emailing off of CL is always sketchy.  It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.  Not everyone is computer savvy, either.  

Any roundie for under $10k these days sounds pretty good to me.  Auto trans is a negative, of course*.  

Big factor is the condition of the body.  If it is solid, then the price is not too bad.  If you can tell it's rusty, then it's probably not worth that price.  

The Ceylon color is a plus - I don't think I've ever seen it in person.  Pretty rare.  

*If you didn't know - the automatic cars have a little bit larger transmission tunnel - so a 5 speed fits better than in a manual car.  So a negative as it sits, but if you want a 5 speed, it is a plus that it is an auto.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Mark,

Like Daron, I also read "ceylon PVC-frei." Some time in '72 or '73, all the metallic paints, such as Polaris, Ceylon, Fjord, etc., switched to the PVC-frei formulation, in an effort to cure BMW's cracking metallic paint issue. It didn't work. Although I am wary of color labels as proof of original color -- because replacement labels have been available since the cars were new -- I would guess that this mighty rare, and worn, "ceylon PVC-frei" sticker is original to the car.

Regards,

Steve

Steve:

I couldn't make out the Ceylon under the sticker, so assumed Polaris based on the reproduction paint code stickers I have seen for all the other metallic paint codes with the exception of Polaris.  I always thought that they changed from Polaris Metallic Code 7058 to Polaris Neu PVC-Frei Code 60 in 1971 and changed the stickers at this time.  Did all the Metallic Paint stickers change to PVC-frei paint? (Taiga, Tundra, Night Blue, Baikal, Polaris, Ceylon, Fjord, Reseda Green, Sienna Brown, Topaz Brown, Ruby Red Metallic, Anthracite, Artic Blue, Turkis) or just the Metallics that were offered during the PVC-frei experiment?

Thanks,

Mark

post-33686-0-62209800-1449011423.jpg

post-33686-0-35457500-1449011428.jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Steve:

I couldn't make out the Ceylon under the sticker, so assumed Polaris based on the reproduction paint code stickers I have seen for all the other metallic paint codes with the exception of Polaris.  I always thought that they changed from Polaris Metallic Code 7058 to Polaris Neu PVC-Frei Code 60 in 1971 and changed the stickers at this time.  Did all the Metallic Paint stickers change to PVC-frei paint? (Taiga, Tundra, Night Blue, Baikal, Polaris, Ceylon, Fjord, Reseda Green, Sienna Brown, Topaz Brown, Ruby Red Metallic, Anthracite, Artic Blue, Turkis) or just the Metallics that were offered during the PVC-frei experiment?

Thanks,

Mark

Sorry, Mark,

I was traveling and didn't see this post until now. They only changed the paint stickers for the metallic paints available during that '72-'76 "PVC-frei" era. Those beginning and ending dates are soft in my mind, because I've generally only seen the "PVC-frei" stickers from '73 on, with one exception in '72 -- who knows, maybe they were introduced in July-ish 1972. I purchased a spare Polaris sticker (from BMW) in the late '70s. It did not say "PVC-frei" and I couldn't buy a "PVC-frei" sticker from BMW as I assume BMW was putting that formulation, and any stickers for it, behind it. If I had purchased a Polaris sticker (from BMW) in '73, would it have said "PVC-frei," or would they still be working off old inventory? I don't know.

Reseda and Topaz appeared just as the '02 era ended, perhaps in '77, but never appeared in a paint brochure during the '02 years (well, I wonder about 1977 1502's). Dollars to donuts, if you see an '02 in either of these colors, it didn't leave the factory that color!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

This is listed again.....in Ohio now.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5347612077.html

I traded emails with the seller last Friday. I was traveling last week, so planned on calling him Friday to try and get down to see it. He responded to my email from two weeks ago, and said that the car was already loaded on a truck for shipment to his storage facility in Columbus.

The search continues.